New Year's Challenge - read through the Bible in 90 days!

New Year's Challenge! Read through the Bible in 90 Days

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Day 11 - Update and a couple of thoughts:

I pray everyone is doing well :pray2: - I have received PMs of some folks' struggles - some have even had to call it quits for this quarter and I certainly sympathize - it is an enormous commitment - the Lord bless you! Come join up next quarter! :)

I have even caught myself saying - "well, just let it go today, you can catch up" - so I am now dead even with the plan, instead of ahead. (I am resolving to use the weekend to get back ahead, though! :)) - so keep striving, brother and sisters! :)

Also - I have gotten into the habit of looking up the daily scripture on the ESV site and playing the audio, thus my family listens to the Scripture as I am reading. This is bearing great fruit! My son (13 yr old) was in his youth class and they began to talk about Joseph - well, he basically narrated the whole Joseph account to the class! Wow!

Also - as they hear, we will sometimes stop and discuss areas they have questions or comments about - it is really cool! :up:

Anyway - ya'll keep up striving for the goal - blessings!

-JD

Day 11 - Update and a couple of thoughts:

I pray everyone is doing well :pray2: - I have received PMs of some folks' struggles - some have even had to call it quits for this quarter and I certainly sympathize - it is an enormous commitment - the Lord bless you! Come join up next quarter! :)

I have even caught myself saying - "well, just let it go today, you can catch up" - so I am now dead even with the plan, instead of ahead. (I am resolving to use the weekend to get back ahead, though! :)) - so keep striving, brother and sisters! :)

Also - I have gotten into the habit of looking up the daily scripture on the ESV site and playing the audio, thus my family listens to the Scripture as I am reading. This is bearing great fruit! My son (13 yr old) was in his youth class and they began to talk about Joseph - well, he basically narrated the whole Joseph account to the class! Wow!

Also - as they hear, we will sometimes stop and discuss areas they have questions or comments about - it is really cool! :up:

Anyway - ya'll keep up striving for the goal - blessings!

-JD

The kids and I are right on schedule!!

You guys have inspired us! The members of the intercessory prayer group at my church is now committed to reading through the Bible in 2008! (We are going to take the full 365 days)

Treasure for your soul

(Henry Law, "The Raven" 1869)

Blessed are those who find their constant
pleasure-ground in the luxuries of the Bible!

They commune with the mind of God.

They listen to a heavenly voice.

They bask in rays of purest light.

They feed in wholesome pastures of refreshment.

They fear no poison from the weeds of error.

No devious path can lead their steps astray.

Wisdom from above sweetly guides them.

The Spirit, the ultimate Teacher of His people,
instructs the students. They advance safely,
happily-from grace to grace.

The lessons are as vast as the mine from which
they spring. They are as pure as the realms to
which they call. They warn of sin-its filth, its
misery, its end. They unfold Jesus-in all the
glories of His redeeming love. They exhibit
holiness-as the only road to a holy heaven.

Reader, heed a salutary admonition. Study the
Bible, as holding treasure for your soul. Study
in the earnestness of prayer. Study with eternity
outspread before you. Study with the humility of
a poor sinner before a speaking God. Study with
faith devoutly grasping every word.

Do not close the volume without inquiring . . .
Is sin more hateful to me?
Is the world more worthless in my estimation?
Is the flesh more treacherous in my sight?
Is Jesus brought nearer to my adoring soul?
Is my heart won to more entire devotedness?
Am I more resolute to live for Him, who died for me?

Why are you cast down, O my soul,
and why are you in turmoil within me?
Hope in God; for I shall again praise him,
my salvation and my God.

Yesterday's reading was exceedingly precious.

I love it when Jesus tells Jarius in Mark 5:36, "Be not afraid, only believe." If we as God's people would remember those words of our Lord Jesus, oh how our faith could be increased. And yet how often I feel like the father who cried out in Mark 9:24, "Lord, I believe; help thou mine unbelief."

I was also awe struck by the mighty power of Christ in the narrative of Mark 5:1-13. I love how the devils besought him in verse 12, which is a simple reminder to us that even the demons are subject to the Lord Jesus Christ. They have to get permission from our King before they can make one move! And yet, Jesus gave them leave in verse 13 to enter into the swine. So, if he granted the request of the devils, how much more will he gladly answer the prayers of his children that are according to the will of the Father! It reminds me of Romans 8:32, "He that spared not his own Son, but delivered him up for us all, how shall he not with him freely give us all things?" It's not a health and wealth gospel, but it is comforting to know that God gladly takes care of his own. There's no greater place to be than in the family of God. Thanks be to Jesus!

Walk about Zion, go around her,
number her towers,
consider well her ramparts,
go through her citadels,
that you may tell the next generation
that this is God,
our God forever and ever.
He will guide us forever.

So, update time.

How is everybody going? I am catching up with my Exodus readings, but am 100% with the NT readings and the Psalms.

God blessed me in my reading today. Peter's weakness highlighting God's strength to save!

My wife and I started right before new years and are reading straight from Genesis to Revelation. We are currently in 2 Kings and hope to finish the Bible before the end of February.

Psalm 50
16 But to the wicked God says:
“What right have you to recite my statutes
or take my covenant on your lips?
17 For you hate discipline,
and you cast my words behind you.
18 If you see a thief, you are pleased with him,
and you keep company with adulterers.

19 “You give your mouth free rein for evil,
and your tongue frames deceit.
20 You sit and speak against your brother;
you slander your own mother's son.
21 These things you have done, and I have been silent;
you thought that I was one like yourself.
But now I rebuke you and lay the charge before you.

I am actually looking forward to catching up in the morning - reading the word and having it played in audio so my children will listen to it rather than cartoons! :)

I'm also delving in to Joseph Caryl's Exposition on Job. One great thing leads to another!

wow - at the 90-day-Bible rate, Caryl ought to only take you three years!

You got that right, Todd. I can't keep the 90 day pace with Caryl but he sure helps in trying to uncover what are the spoken truths/falsehoods concerning God.

At this moment though, I'm 3 DAYS behind schedule. So, I must ask myself, "Why am I typing when I should be :book2:?"

On schedule thus far. Also reading: Grace Abounding by Bunyan, The Vanity of Thoughts by Goodwin, The Mystery of Providence by Flavel, and preaching through Romans on Lord's Day mornings. It's keeping me on my toes along with a three year old, a baby on the way next month, and two water meter routes.

I've been rather stressed of late, but God has opened a door for me to get in a 3-on-3 basketball league on Monday nights down at the rec center. I think a little exercise is just what the doctor ordered for me. So, I'm off to strain a hammie or two in a little bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back