New Web Site Banner For The Edinburgh Inn

New Banner: What say ye?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice. It makes me want to put on some casual clothes and talk about christianity, merely. The God who is there.

It looks nice, less bland that the old one. The only problem is as mentioned by Ivan, its too big. It causes me to have to scroll to the right to see the rest of it. This could be because of the size it is on the test page or whatever though.

:offtopic:
Is it possible to download the MP3s rather than streaming on line via M3U?? It is very seldom that I am able to sit down at my computer to listen to anything, but I have an MP3 player that seldom leaves my side.

It looks nice, less bland that the old one. The only problem is as mentioned by Ivan, its too big. It causes me to have to scroll to the right to see the rest of it. This could be because of the size it is on the test page or whatever though.

:offtopic:
Is it possible to download the MP3s rather than streaming on line via M3U?? It is very seldom that I am able to sit down at my computer to listen to anything, but I have an MP3 player that seldom leaves my side.

Thanks for the feedback. How much bigger is the banner than your screen? Do you have to scroll like another 1/4 page?

Here are two workarounds for downloading the mp3s for now. (Part of the redesign will be to add direct links to the mp3 files so that they can be downloaded).

For volumes 1 & 2 you can right click the m3u files and save them to your computer then open them with a text reader (such as "Notepad"), then you will see the direct path to the mp3 files.

For volumes 3-7 you can enter Index of /Edinburgh/vol3 into your browser and it will take you to the Index page for that volume where you can then right click and download the files. (Note: be sure to capatalize the "E" in Edinburgh and just change the number after "vol" to 3 - 7 to access the individual Index pages). Hope that all makes sense. :)

Its actually less than a Quarter of a page that I have to scroll over. It could very well be the settings on this computer I know too little about this kind of thing.

Thanks for the advice on downloading, Im gonna try to download them today.

James, it looks nice. The place where you have letters, if you'd prefer to work in a nice, earthy, grain background pick (as opposed to a solid color), I may have some different pics you could work in? It looks good as is, though!

:up:

Thanks, brother. That would be great! I'm having a terrible time coming up with a picture that fits the idea of an old world style inn.

Looks more like Chester than Edinburgh. :2cents:

Now this is specific feedback. Thank you!

Can you give some examples of what would look like Edinburgh? I'm swinging in the dark here, as I've rarely been outside the State of Virginia and never outside the U.S., much less an exotic place such as Edinburgh.

Speaking as an Edinburgh man the style of the picture more reflects Tudor England rather than Edinburgh. To have a web site under that title discussing Christianty how about a picture of John Knox's house such as

http://www.edinphoto.org.uk/0_buildings_g/0_buildings_-_john_knox_house_-_harding.jpg

John Knox was a very affable character always willing to discuss Christainity especially with his neighbour Queen Mary who lived just further down the hill.

If someone wants to redesign
for me (for free) let me know! I need a new look too!

I will credit you at the bottom with an email link for further buisness.

If interested: [email protected]

not sure about the word "mere" before Christianity, though.

We're trying to communicate that Christianity is something that should be part of everyday life and that discussing doctrine and how it applies to our modern situations is somethings every Christians should regularly participate in. I.E. You don't have to be a theologian to discuss and benefit from the discussion of God's Word. And it is a takeoff on C. S. Lewis' book of the same title.

Do you think is has a negative or derogatory connotation? :think:

Can you give some examples of what would look like Edinburgh? I'm swinging in the dark here, as I've rarely been outside the State of Virginia and never outside the U.S., much less an exotic place such as Edinburgh.

Go into Google images and type Edinburgh. A picture of Edinburgh castle would be good (or something along those lines).

Like you, I rarely leave Ulster, and have never been outside the UK or Ireland. :eek:

Go into Google images and type Edinburgh. A picture of Edinburgh castle would be good (or something along those lines).

Like you, I rarely leave Ulster, and have never been outside the UK or Ireland. :eek:

This one's nice:

Edinburgh Castle, Edinburgh, Scotland Photographic Print by Kindra Clineff at AllPosters.com

Last edited:
Thanks for the PM, James. I'll try to be a little more clear about what I'm talking about in my earlier post.

I got the impression that you were looking for a painting/photo/picture that presents a "neigborhood" atmosphere, a place that is inviting and somewhat casual or a place where folk can sit down with a pint and enjoy good conservation. That's not what I'm feeling when I look at the present offering. Quite the opposite. For me, it looks like a place that I would not want to visit.

When you first asked for help in finding a proper representation I did some looking and found nothing I liked. Either what I found was imposing or inappropriate. It's the kind of thing that I know what I'm looking when I see it.

If I could draw I'd show you what I mean.

It's not bad but it's a bit too blocky for me. I would knock out the background of that image you're using so you could integrate the Inn into a picture where you don't have to worry about the sky. I've also never been a big fan of really big fonts that take up the whole screen. I'm not sure what I would recommend. I'm sort of a few trick pony that sort of duplicates a few design ideas each and every time. I don't always know what to do but I'm not sure I like what you've done.

All that said, it's not terrible and could work for some but it just doesn't work for me.

I got the impression that you were looking for a painting/photo/picture that presents a "neigborhood" atmosphere, a place that is inviting and somewhat casual or a place where folk can sit down with a pint and enjoy good conservation.

That's exactly what I'm looking for, but my Yahoo, Google, etc. searches have been fruitless.

I'm thinking of "commissioning" a piece from the Art Dept. at my daughter's college. Though for budget reasons this is a last resort.

Thanks for the input!

Blessings,

That's exactly what I'm looking for, but my Yahoo, Google, etc. searches have been fruitless.

There has GOT to be something out there on the Net!

I'm thinking of "commissioning" a piece from the Art Dept. at my daughter's college. Though for budget reasons this is a last resort.

That's an option. Wish I could draw. No budding or old artists on PB?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back