New Sinclair Ferguson book on Marrow Controversy

Status
Not open for further replies.

reaganmarsh

Puritan Board Senior
Greetings PB brethren,

Sinclair Ferguson has released a new book with the Marrow Controversy as its backdrop, entitled 'The Whole Christ: Legalism, Antinomianism, and Gospel Assurance.' This looks great!

WTS Books is offering a rather good sale on both Dr. Ferguson's volume and the Marrow of Modern Divinity.

You may access the page here: http://www.wtsbooks.com/the-whole-C...ill-matters-sinclair-b-ferguson-9781433548000

If the book is anything like his audio messages on this subject, this promises to be excellent; but I had better read it myself before I go recommending it. I can say that the title "Whole Christ" has already picked up on the major concern of the Marrowmen.

I ordered mine yesterday. I have high hopes and am eager to read it.

I find it encouraging that Dr. Ferguson has obtained endorsements from a fairly wide range of guys whose approaches to the sanctification issue haven't perfectly lined up in recent years. It suggests that (1) perhaps their differences are not actually as great as some would make them out to be, and (2) Dr. Ferguson has produced a work that can help men who differ in their approach to ministry still come together in agreement on a basic theological stance.

Interesting thoughts from Mark Jones, on the Marrow in general, after reading Sinclair Ferguson's book.

http://www.reformation21.org/blog/2...l&st_refDomain=www.facebook.com&st_refQuery=/

The history of the Marrow holds interest for evangelical Calvinists because of what the Marrow stood for in the context of declining Calvinism in the first quarter of the eighteenth century. Having found it interesting for that reason I find the linked article to be quite uninteresting. It is rather boring in comparison to the real story of the Marrow.

Do y'all think Jones raises a valid point as regarding Fisher being duplicitous?

The times were a-changing. It is easy to look back from a settled point of orthodoxy and charge men with duplicity. But whether he was or not, the book itself has a value which is separate from its authorship. Digging up dirt on the author in seventeenth century England does nothing to detract from the importance of the work in eighteenth century Scotland.

(Even if he does, the Marrow of Modern Divinity is still such a valuable book that I'd read it like I read Baxter -- insightful and tremendously helpful in many respects.)

I would read the Marrow through the lens of Boston's notes, who shows the good use which can be made of the book even with some of its dubious phrases. Baxter was forthright, and his errors partake of the same characteristic.

Do y'all think Jones raises a valid point as regarding Fisher being duplicitous?

The times were a-changing. It is easy to look back from a settled point of orthodoxy and charge men with duplicity. But whether he was or not, the book itself has a value which is separate from its authorship. Digging up dirt on the author in seventeenth century England does nothing to detract from the importance of the work in eighteenth century Scotland.

That was my basic line of thought as well. If Fisher was flying under the radar, so to speak, as a closet antinomian, it serves to warn us of our own deceitful hearts, and to make us thankful that God can still use our efforts in ministry to bless his people, though we are sinners with feet of clay.

(Even if he does, the Marrow of Modern Divinity is still such a valuable book that I'd read it like I read Baxter -- insightful and tremendously helpful in many respects.)

I would read the Marrow through the lens of Boston's notes, who shows the good use which can be made of the book even with some of its dubious phrases. Baxter was forthright, and his errors partake of the same characteristic.

Yes indeed; that's exactly what I meant -- Boston's notes are invaluable, and Baxter's errors are generally plain.

Sinclair Ferguson has released a new book with the Marrow Controversy

I just received the eBook version. I love the "Marrow" and loved and have republished Fisher's Catechism (James, not Edward) that reflects Marrow principles. I can't wait to read the new Ferguson book.

Just a reminder, PB members get a 15% discount on the Catechism. Use the code: PBFISHER

I found this quote in:
The Story of the Scottish Church: From the Reformation to the Disruption
By Thomas M'Crie

There is no part of the Secession testimony on which we dwell with more unmixed satisfaction than on bearing the unpromising title of “Act concerning the Doctrine of Grace,” which we owe to the labours of Ebenezer Erskine and Alexander Moncreiff, which formed an enlargement of their testimony with respect to injuries done the doctrine of grace by several acts of Assembly, relative to the book entitled the Marrow of Modern Divinity. It is equally worthy of remark that to Messrs. Erskine and [James] Fisher we are indebted for the will-known work called Fisher’s Catechism, which was very generally employed by ministers as their text-book at the public examinations of their people, when both old and young were duly catechised; this was, in fact, a profound system of divinity, and wasspecially devoted to an explanation of the “Marrow doctrines.”

Last edited:

I am devouring my copy. My prima face review: Jesus Christ is all in all. He is the sum of all Spiritual things. Although I did not run across this scripture yet in the book, it made me think of this verse:

1 Corinthians 1:30 But of him are ye in Christ Jesus, who of God is made unto us wisdom, and righteousness, and sanctification, and redemption:

I highly recommend this book!

I am devouring my copy. My prima face review: Jesus Christ is all in all. He is the sum of all Spiritual things. Although I did not run across this scripture yet in the book, it made me think of this verse:

1 Corinthians 1:30 But of him are ye in Christ Jesus, who of God is made unto us wisdom, and righteousness, and sanctification, and redemption:

I highly recommend this book!

I'm glad to hear it! I ordered a copy shortly after making the initial post here. Should arrive this week...

Excellent verse to bring up. Thanks. I'm all the more eager to read the book now, but am still waiting for mine to be delivered. This is a drawback of living out in the boonies.

but am still waiting for mine to be delivered

I chose the ebook version. That's why I have it already.
BTW To All - Don't even think of getting the ebook version from Amazon. For some reason, it costs more than the paper versions. I think it was about $23.00 WOW! I got it from the Westminster bookstore.

My copy arrived in the mail just yesterday, along with a copy of The Marrow of Divinity itself.

I'm thinking that the first time I read Fisher's work, I'll do without reading Boston's notes, thereby letting Fisher speak for himself. The second time through, I'll include Boston's notes with my reading.

My copy arrived in the mail just yesterday, along with a copy of The Marrow of Divinity itself

For some reason, these two books are affecting me powerfully. Maybe I am foolish, but these are thy thoughts just now:

I’ve been singing and crying and praying and crying some more. Even in front of my family, I can’t but cry with tears for the wonderful grace of God to me the chief of sinners: This is what reading the “Whole Christ” is doing to me.

I am no longer a young man, but I am crying out, “Life! Life! Eternal Life!” There is yet hope for me because of Christ, who is my life.

I found myself singing--Well, trying to sing but snivelling the words instead to this old song from my early Assembly of God days. I sang it then, but I know it now. I am His, and He is mine. Forever…

Marvelous grace of our loving Lord,
Grace that exceeds our sin and our guilt!
Yonder on Calvary’s mount outpoured,
There where the blood of the Lamb was spilled.

Refrain:
Grace, grace, God’s grace,
Grace that will pardon and cleanse within;
Grace, grace, God’s grace,
Grace that is greater than all our sin!

Sin and despair, like the sea waves cold,
Threaten the soul with infinite loss;
Grace that is greater, yes, grace untold,
Points to the refuge, the mighty cross.
Dark is the stain that we cannot hide;
What can we do to wash it away?
Look! There is flowing a crimson tide,
Brighter than snow you may be today.
Marvelous, infinite, matchless grace,
Freely bestowed on all who believe!
You that are longing to see His face,
Will you this moment His grace receive?

Did I remember to say I recommend this book? :)
—Especially to pastors and elders.

Have a great day!

I wonder if the release of Ferguson's book will encourage Dr. Lachman to republish his work on the Marrow Controversy.

I hope so.

I am no longer a young man, but I am crying out, “Life! Life! Eternal Life!” There is yet hope for me because of Christ, who is my life.

Ed, That is wonderful. May God give us grace to lay hold of it and keep hold of it.

I received mine today. Are Boston's notes on Fisher included in his Whole Works? I can't seem to find it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back