New member looking for some advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

bweb82

Puritan Board Freshman
Hi new friends!

Thanks to the mods for approving my account. My name is Brad, I am 33 from NE Ohio. I currently work for a Rescue Mission shelter and am doing my pastoral internship at a local church.

My question, or direction of advice I am asking for, is over the last few weeks I have felt this sort of anger or frustration over my teaching opportunities. I currently teach 2x a week to our discipleship academy at the Rescue Mission, lead staff devotions once a week, do chapel, and lead a small group for my church. My passion is to teach the word and I love doing it, but over the past few weeks I feel this new anger towards the opportunities. Most days I dont even want to do any of my teaching. I am not sure if this has to deal with being angry at myself for lack of preparation or if this is some sort of spiritual attack. I noticed last week, during my morning prayer and study time, I had this unbelievable anger rush over me. I am not normally an angry person. Nothing specific has happened that would make me angry. This is all something new.

I guess I am just trying to hear from anyone if they have had similar experiences with this or any sort of advice and guidance on overcoming this.

I apologize if this is in the wrong section. I figured this was the best place for my first post. Thanks in advance!!

Gforce9

Puritan Board Junior
Brad,
Without knowing your confessional subscription or ecclesiastical "affiliation", it is hard to offer specific help. I can say as a fellow Christian, all of these "feelings" and more I have experienced. I believe this to be the common experience of Christians. We have residual hatred for the very God who saved us. We have a sinful nature that insists on living, while the Spirit is putting it to death.
With that said, there are safeguards for you and for any potential local congregation that you may have responsibility over. I assume you have have a desire to pursue a ministry of the Word.....even "felt a call"? Have your elders confirmed this call or had reservations about it? What external counsel have you received? God has put men in place to oversee and rule over the affairs of the church. Submit yourself to them.
While every Christian goes through the painful process of sanctification, some folks are not minister material. Not because they're "evil"; maybe it is that they just don't have an even temperment. I know I'm not minister material (now) in spite of the fact I was "certain" of it 25 years ago. It would have been disastrous had I pursued it then.
I'm glad you are honest in your struggles, but it looks like there is some discontentment at first glance. We here on the PB don't know you. Your elders do, though, and can help far more than we could..........

bweb82

Puritan Board Freshman
Thanks Greg. I know this is a tough situation to get help on, I am just simply trying to see if anyone has had similar feelings. To answer a few of your questions...I have had the elders, pastor, and personal mentors confirm my calling to teach the word, and have been given multiple opportunities to do so over the last few years. Up until the last few weeks, teaching has always been something I have hungered and counted the minutes until I got to do it again. The church I attend is Southern Baptist. I would identify most with the Westminster confession.

Thanks again for your help.

KMK

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks Greg. I know this is a tough situation to get help on, I am just simply trying to see if anyone has had similar feelings. To answer a few of your questions...I have had the elders, pastor, and personal mentors confirm my calling to teach the word, and have been given multiple opportunities to do so over the last few years. Up until the last few weeks, teaching has always been something I have hungered and counted the minutes until I got to do it again. The church I attend is Southern Baptist. I would identify most with the Westminster confession.

Thanks again for your help.
Welcome to PB! Please fix your signature according to board rules. To find out how click on Signature Requirements under my own signature.

Status
Not open for further replies.