New Intro

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by CanadianHuguenot, Sep 22, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CanadianHuguenot

CanadianHuguenot Puritan Board Freshman

Greetings to all!

My name is Jeffrey, and at the urging of a friend have joined the Puritan Board.

I grew up on the UPCI mission field, the son of a missionary, pastor, and teacher; and was zealous for the so-called truth for a long time. After the birth of my first son, I began questioning the simplistic arguments that seemed easily refutable from a Google search of the other side (read: orthodox); and why it seemed we only heard the same 2 or 3 sermons each week: holiness, Acts 2:38 salvation, and Oneness (modalism). This led to a deep search over the next year through Scripture, prayer, conversations, and reading, eventually leading me to a Calvinistic, then Trinitarian, and finally, a more clearly and definite Reformed faith in Christ. Oddly enough, it was by seeking out resources I recalled from my teenage years, such as Spurgeon, Bunyan, MacArthur, Piper, Washer, and others, as well as a long trek through church history and writings that I had never even heard of!, that helped raise the heap of evidence that toppled my resistance to anything outside of the narrow lens I had grown up hearing.

I hesitate to lay too many details out in a simple intro thread, but will add that I live up north in the cold Manitoba prairies of Canada, and look forward to engaging with and meeting you all on the board!

May the Lord bless you.

• Like Like x 1
    • Rejoicing Rejoicing x 1
    • List
  2. Tom Hart

Tom Hart Puritan Board Senior

A fellow Canadian here. Welcome!

3. Tom Hart

Also, you'll want to make sure you get your signature figured out.

4. kainos01

kainos01 Puritan Board Senior

Welcome!

5. Guido's Brother

Guido's Brother Puritan Board Junior

Another Canadian welcoming you (but from Down Under). Hope you find this resource a blessing!

6. py3ak

py3ak They're stalling and plotting against me Staff Member

Very glad to see your story and welcome you aboard, Jeff! I have a dear friend who also grew up in the UPCI, and it doesn't sound like leaving is ever easy.

7. hammondjones

hammondjones Puritan Board Sophomore

Welcome!

8. ZackF

ZackF Puritan Board Graduate

A non-Canadian welcoming you.

9. JennyGeddes

JennyGeddes Puritan Board Freshman

Welcome aboard!

10. PuritanCovenanter

PuritanCovenanter Moderator Staff Member

Welcome to the Puritanboard. I have good friends who are involved in the Oneness movement. It can be complex. Some of my friends are Apostolic and not UPCI. They sometimes tend to be a little more astute theologically. Glad your friend recommended the site to you. I hope you benefit and grow in grace by being involved here.

Be Encouraged

11. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Puritan Board Doctor

Greetings Jeffrey! Welcome aboard.

Living in Louisiana, I’m quite familiar with Oneness Pentecostals. As with other cults, they tend to be rather evangelistic. More Arminian Southern Baptists talk about their “confrontational evangelism” but to my recollection the only people who have ever approached me in that way (i.e. in public) have been Oneness Pentecostals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Puritan Board Doctor

In my experience, “Apostolics” tend to be more old fashioned, continuing to emphasize traditional Oneness Pentecostal distinctives and consigning Trinitarians to hell. In the past 20 years or so, I’ve observed that many UPCI types, especially from larger churches and church plants, seem to have “liberalized” to varying degrees when it comes to dress and other forms of overt legalism and even speak much of grace, although in a vague way. So in a sense the Apostolic types may be more knowledgeable about doctrine since they place more of an emphasis on it whereas many UPCI members may not be able to explain why they are different than Trinitarian Pentecostals or else might not think that it makes much of a difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. Stephen L Smith

Stephen L Smith Moderator Staff Member

I am not a Canadian but am a citizen of the Commonwealth. A warm welcome and I trust you find the Puritan Board theologically and spiritually edifying.

14. bookslover

bookslover Puritan Board Doctor

Two Canadians. Is that too many? Heh.

15. EuphratesRiver

EuphratesRiver Puritan Board Freshman

Welcome Jeffery,

Very interesting and awesome story of what God has done in your life to bring you to himself! I hope and pray that through the medium of this board, you may learn, grow and be encouraged in the name of the Lord that we love and serve.

16. CanadianHuguenot

CanadianHuguenot Puritan Board Freshman

There are dozens of us! I've been a loyalist since high school now.

17. OPC'n

OPC'n Puritan Board Doctor

I lived in Canada for six years. It’s beautiful country and nice people. Welcome!

18. Tom Hart

I've counted at least five on this board. That amounts to about 20% of the population!

19. Poimen

Poimen Puritan Board Post-Graduate

Welcome (from a fellow Canadian in Smiths Falls, Ontario). I have driven through and stayed in Winnipeg a few times.

20. jwithnell

jwithnell Moderator Staff Member

Welcome Jeffery!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.