New Covenant Theology vs Covenant Theology

Status
Not open for further replies.
The books I mentioned are books I am reading about covenant theology. In regards to studying new covenant theology I am reading the book New Covenant Theology by Tom Wells and Fred Zaspel

Kingdom Through Covenants is definitely not covenant theology in any historical/confessional sense. It is the initial defense of Progressive Covenantalism which, as mentioned previously, is very near the same thing as NCT. They argue for a via media between CT and Dispensationalism but are, in my opinion, just developing a new type of dispensationalism.

I am not as sure about Thomas Schreiner but if his association with Gentry and Wellum say anything than he is definitely not a covenant theologian proper.

The books I mentioned are books I am reading about covenant theology. In regards to studying new covenant theology I am reading the book New Covenant Theology by Tom Wells and Fred Zaspel
NCT wanted to be the bridge between the 2 theologies of Covenant and Dispensational, but just kept too much of the Dispensational flavorings, and if one was to go that route, would be better off under Progressive Dispensational theology.

Kingdom Through Covenants is definitely not covenant theology in any historical/confessional sense. It is the initial defense of Progressive Covenantalism which, as mentioned previously, is very near the same thing as NCT. They argue for a via media between CT and Dispensationalism but are, in my opinion, just developing a new type of dispensationalism.

I am not as sure about Thomas Schreiner but if his association with Gentry and Wellum say anything than he is definitely not a covenant theologian proper.
I know of progressive Dispensational, but what is progressive Covenant theology?

I know of progressive Dispensational, but what is progressive Covenant theology?

See my previous posts. It is close to NCT, just developed at a different location (Southern Baptist Seminary) by different people (Peter Gentry, Stephen Wellum, and some of their peers/students).

See my previous posts. It is close to NCT, just developed at a different location (Southern Baptist Seminary) by different people (Peter Gentry, Stephen Wellum, and some of their peers/students).

My apologies, these are some varied views I am reading. I was supposing, knowing my teachers and the titles, but wasn't 100% in my answer. I know my teachers would lean more towards Covenant then New Covenant, but I am trying to get a grasp of varying views. Thanks for the heads up though

My apologies, these are some varied views I am reading. I was supposing, knowing my teachers and the titles, but wasn't 100% in my answer. I know my teachers would lean more towards Covenant then New Covenant, but I am trying to get a grasp of varying views. Thanks for the heads up though

There are a lot of varied views, hard to keep up with. Blessings on your studies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back