New Books Ahead - Burgess and Ranew

Status
Not open for further replies.

bookslover

Puritan Board Doctor
Coming soon from Reformation Heritage Books:

Christ's Prayer Before His Passion: Expository Sermons on John 17 by Anthony Burgess; 2 volumes; 1,344 pages. To be published either at the end of this year or sometime early next year.

Just for fun, here's the original title of Burgess's book, and the publisher:

CXLV Expository Sermons on the Whole 17th Chapter of the Gospel According to St. John, or, Christ's Prayer Before His Passion Explicated, and Both Practically and Polemically Improved by Anthony Burgess (London: Printed by Abraham Miller for Thomas Underhill at the Anchor and Bible in St. Paul's Church-yard, 1656).

And Solitude Improved by Divine Meditation by Nathanael Ranew (Soli Deo Gloria Books) is being re-issued once again.

And, from Banner of Truth Trust:

The Covenanters: A History of the Church in Scotland from the Reformation to the Revolution by J. K. Hewison; 2 volumes; 1,136 pages. Originally published in 1908. Out by the end of the year, I'm guessing.

Always good stuff to read! (I added the Banner book after I wrote the post's title, which apparently can't be changed once posted.)

Last edited:
ou are correct in your assessment.
I am encouraged, Robert. Let me expand. From looking at the contents and the size of the book, this looks like one of the largest and most detailed Puritan work on Biblical meditation on the market today. I see it is over 300 pages. There is a helpful outline of the book on A Puritans Mind website.

I am writing an essay on mental health for pastors in my country, and one of my firm convictions is that people with mental health difficulties need to learn the skill of Biblical meditation. Hence my interest in a sizable work such as this. Further, I am concerned at the rise of pagan meditation, and even so called Spiritual Formation. Hence Biblical alternatives are truly needed.

As a matter of interest, if one likes a nice brief guide on Biblical meditation, you cannot do better than Joel Beeke's booklet "How Can I Practice Christian Meditation?"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back