New Bible

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's pretty hard to find non-red-letter Bibles. Not good.

I'm largely indifferent to it from a theological perspective (although I would prefer it not) but red text is so hard to read, especially when it is a bright red (like my NKJV). I know I have bad eyes, but it's such a horrible idea.

I'm largely indifferent to it from a theological perspective (although I would prefer it not) but red text is so hard to read, especially when it is a bright red (like my NKJV). I know I have bad eyes, but it's such a horrible idea.
Jake, if that is the case, you may want to check on the Thomas Nelson Preaching bible (videoed in the OP) as it is black letter (for actual verses), but chapter headers, verse numbers, and book titles are in a very relaxing blue color which is easier on the eyes than red. Mine is supposed to arrive today, but even with looking online the blue color is very unique and soft on the old eyeballs.

Last edited:
No beef. I just checked online and it looks like the Personal size is also only offered in red-letter currently.

Other factors I considered:

The font size in the personal size Schuyler is also smaller than the Thomas Nelson NKJV Thinline.

Schuyler personal has 28gsm paper and the Thomas Nelson NKJV has 36gsm. Also considering the facts that the TN NKJV has bigger font, thicker paper, goatskin, great formatting and is practically half the price of the Schuyler Perosnal size goatskin.

P.S. Schuyler Personal is 8.5 font size. The TN NKJV Goatskin is 11 point font size.:detective:

Makes sense.

Do the newer editions of the KJV run into this issue as well?

Do newer prints of the 1611 run into this issue as well?

My (somewhat "expert" experience) is that it's not easy to find non-red-letter KJV, except for the Trinitarian Bible Society who never use red letter. Cambridge might be exclusively black letter too, I'd need to check. My experience is that with the American publishers it's usually red letter. For our people it's not much of an issue because if our support of TBS they're the go to publisher. I don't know how well-known/easily accessible TBS Bibles are in America.

Cambridge and TBS, however, can be quite expensive. So if you're looking for a budget priced, leather (or fake leather) Bible it's hard to find one not red-letter.

I'm really interested in getting either the Premier Collection NKJV or the NKJV Preacher's Bible. Does anyone know which one has less bleed through?

Thanks.

Last edited:
I'm really interested in getting either the Premier Collection NKJV or the NKJV Preacher's Bible. Does anyone know which one has less bleed through?

Thanks.
I looked at both in person today. Bleed through is equal and minimum. I will say that I like the overall reading experience better with the NKJV Premier Goatskin. Plus it is thinner and an easier carry. Assuming Thomas Nelson maintains the $85.00 price point (at least at Christianbooks.com) on the next print of Thinline goatskins, the premier can actually be obtained cheaper than the NKJV preaching bible.

Originally, I ordered the preaching bible for myself and the goatskin Thinline for my wife. However after confessing to my wife that I liked hers better:rolleyes:, she graciously agreed to a trade (she is not as big of a nerd on format details as me).

Last edited:
The NKJV Preaching Bible has MORE manuscript variant footnotes than the Premier Goatskin.

The NKJV Preachig Bible does not contain maps or a concordance, whereas the Premier Goatskin includes both.

I had some more time today to compare over a fine cigar with some great outdoor weather:

The NKJV preaching bible not only has more textual variant footnotes (as I mentioned above), it also has more bible verse cross references. The more I am comparing, they more I am glad I got both.:detective:

As an aside, I was kinda bummed that Schuyler is only only gonna do red letter versions for new prints of the NKJV in the full size Quentel. Currently they only have black and brown calfskin for $99.00, but when those are gone, they are only reprinting in red letter.

So if you have been eyeing a Quentel full size in NKJV, you may want to pick up one now, because I am told when they run out, they will only offer red-letter for the NKJV.

That's too bad. I'm glad I got a black letter edition and knowing this, I'm more likely to hold on to it.

There was a real lack of black letter editions in the NKJV until recently. At one time, I think the only choices may have been a few Study Bibles. I'm glad that Nelson (Harper Collins, really) and Holman seem to recognize that not everyone wants red letters. With Schuyler, I suspect it's a cost issue. I'm no fan of Harper Collins, but it appears that the change is paying dividends when it comes to Bible quality.

Do the newer editions of the KJV run into this issue as well?

Do newer prints of the 1611 run into this issue as well?

There is a wider variety of KJVs available compared to any other translation, which is one reason I've been drawn to it in recent years, given the lack of quality NKJV editions until recently.

For a good while, I assumed that Cambridge largely printed red letter Bibles, but either they were printing black letter when I assumed they weren't, or they are now printing more black letter editions. (My confusion may have been due to the fact that red letter was all I saw in stores, which were doing good to have a few Cambridge editions.) I recently got a black letter Cambridge Concord, which is one of my favorite text blocks.

All editions published by the Trinitarian Bible society are black letter. I think most if not all Allan editions are black letter. Holman has recently published several NKJV and CSB editions in black letter. I don't know whether or not they've also done that with the KJV. I haven't checked recent Zondervan and Nelson KJVs, largely because I look to other publishers for the KJV. But they also tended to be red letter only until recently.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back