Nehemiah: Type of Christ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RobertPGH1981

Puritan Board Sophomore
Hello All,

From a typology perspective would scholars/theologians consider Nehemiah as a type of Christ? My understanding is that he was not a Levite and couldn't have been a high priest and its this point that confuses me.

God bless,

Rob

Hi Robert,
I'm a little puzzled by your question. Do you think only the high priest could be a type of Christ? There are lots of different typological connections from the OT to Christ apart from that - for example, Isaac in Genesis 22 and the bronze serpent in Numbers 21, and of course King David. I've argued in an academic essay that Nehemiah was actually one of the best "kings" Judah ever had (in terms of the ways that the Chronicler rates kings). Insofar as he met the standards of a good king (even though he wasn't one himself and may well not have been descended from David), he clearly pointed forward to Christ - and insofar as he was unable to bring about a lasting change in the people (see Neh 13), he clearly showed why someone greater than he must come. As Gordon McConville has suggested, there is an air of "partially realized eschatology" in these post-exilic books: thankfulness for what God has given in the "now" through the Persian authorities but also longing for the much greater vision anticipated in the prophets in the "not yet".

I see your point and it was a lack of understanding on my part. I do recognize types being more than just levites. I was thinking more in terms of high priesthood of Jesus. Not the best question on my part. I will need to think this through better to ask a better question.

Perhaps you were thinking of Nehemiah's role in renewing worship? That of course was a responsibility of the king earlier, not just the priests. Nehemiah was also very careful to distinguish his position from that of the priests and Levites; see Neh 6:11; 12:38.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back