Need advice on grounding electricity in a generator

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just checked my generator manual. No direct ground to earth is specified as in the manual for your generator. My generator is 20 years old, so perhaps building codes now require this.
The Manufacturer's manual provided on Amazon does require grounding, as Scott noted (see p. 22). That is certainly best practice and may be a code requirement depending on your location. It will likely work without it, and probably won't kill you, unless you have exactly the right combination of problems and faults at exactly the wrong time. If you are going to permanently install it somewhere, it should definitely be grounded, and it would be safer if you always operate it with a proper ground, as shown in the manual, which in most cases isn't too hard to rig up. Better safe than sorry.
(former Electrical Engineer)

The Manufacturer's manual provided on Amazon does require grounding, as Scott noted (see p. 22). That is certainly best practice and may be a code requirement depending on your location. It will likely work without it, and probably won't kill you, unless you have exactly the right combination of problems and faults at exactly the wrong time. If you are going to permanently install it somewhere, it should definitely be grounded, and it would be safer if you always operate it with a proper ground, as shown in the manual, which in most cases isn't too hard to rig up. Better safe than sorry.
(former Electrical Engineer)
It probably won’t kill you.

I spent two years as Electrical Engineer for a missionary radio station, hospital and school in Liberia, West Africa, in the 1980's. My immediate predecessors had been farm boys, who could fix anything with duct tape and bailing wire, for whom we were very grateful. But some of their work would have curled a building inspector's hair. I also found a fridge where for some reason the live wire had been connected to the ground on the casing, so whenever you opened it without wearing shoes, you got a healthy zing. That's one way to wake up in the morning, I suppose. I'm grateful for codes as a result, since they are generally based on significant experience and are for your good, even if it is a bit more of a hassle to keep their rules. A bit like Books of Church Order in the Presbyterian world...you only discover why you need them when you have ignored them and it has come back to bite you.

I have a EET. Be Careful. I almost blew my thumb off with 220. I was stuck too. Got the scar to prove it. I was trying to troubleshoot a furnace motor. I was a bit fuzzy for a while. LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back