Need A Book Recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Unique Name

Puritan Board Freshman
My friend has developed deep feelings for a woman who is dispensationalist to the bone (I.e., raised on, and still reads/listens to Greg Laurie; Chuck Smith; Left Behind series; Etc.). He is not Disp. Nor is he a theology buff (he knows enough to believe Disp. isn't the Truth with a capital T), so he can't argue with her successfully. For that reason he asked me to "give him stuff to help make her 'see the light'". Yet, I feel just as helpless as him, but I offered to find the right book that might help her appreciate a reformed approach. I read Hoekema's book The Bible and the Future. I thought it was good, but perhaps too academic for her.

Can anyone think of something effective and easy? Thanks.

I think we need to be careful when we talk about Dispensationalism. Not all Dispensationalists are equal so you need to know what is meant by dispensationalism to that person.

From what I've heard, Poythress's book Understanding Dispensationalists is one of the most convincing books, because he takes the time to lay out a very clear understanding of the position in a charitable way.

Hmmm. If your friend is trying to make this woman "see the light" regarding eschatology, I wonder what the future holds for this couple. Yes, there are resources to help him win the argument ... and lose the relationship. Is it worth ruining for the sake of winning the argument? And honestly, she is not going to appreciate somebody threatening what she was raised to believe and still holds to, even if he convinces her that she is in error. Furthermore, if she is such a hard-core dispensationalist, I doubt that any book will make her change.

What do they agree on? Are they willing to study and investigate each other's point of view with an open mind? Is this a relationship possibly leading to marriage? Then yes, they need to agree on theological matters particularly in regards to what church they will attend as a couple. But I think it's always going to be a point of friction. Just my 2¢.

For a less academic and more pastoral book on the subject, I have typically recommended Keith Matthison's Dispensationalism: Rightly Dividing the People of God?
I agree with this book, but keep in mind David Taylor's comments. Someone raised in a MacArthur church will not recognize the dispensationalism of someone raised in an "Old Scofield Bible" church. (That said, I grew up in a church with a Sunday school teacher who taught Old Scofield but the teaching from the pulpit never got that extreme).

I doubt that any book will make her change.

You might be surprised what can change a person's view. Here's my short story.

Forty-plus years ago, I was a zealous young Christian who the Lord saved out of drug addiction. The change came suddenly after nearly dying from an overdose the night before my sister just happened to loan me the book by Billy Graham called The Jesus Generation. But that's another story.
Within a year, I was an active member of an Assemblies of God church, which was, of course, Dispensational and very legalistic. But I wanted to learn more. So I signed up for a correspondence course from Moody Bible Institute. The first lesson was on Dispensationalism. As I studied the lesson, with a Bible in hand (a Thompson Chain Reference, of course), I didn't get far before discovering that there was simply no Biblical evidence for what I was being taught. Within several days I concluded that it was not true. I still did not know what was true, but the Lord graciously convinced me of the Reformed Faith within a year, and I never looked back.

You never know what the Lord might do when sincerity is the operative principle. Praise the Lord.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back