N.T. Wright - to read or not to read????

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alan

Inactive User
I have a question for everbody and anybody. The more responses, the better, as there is wisdom in the multitude of counselors.

I am interested in reading something that will solidly and thoroughly interact with and refute Jesus Seminar and other liberal folk as regards the "historical Jesus." I know that N.T. Wright has a number of books in a series entitled "Christian Origins and the Question of God", and that he is on the conservative end of the spectrum on this "controversy". However, I also understand that he isn't exactly "evangelical", as I have heard he does not believe in the inerrancy of Scripture or the Reformed understanding of justification.

Despite these things, would it be beneficial to read his works concerning the historical Jesus? Has anyone read his works in this area? Are there any other more evangelical scholars that I could read instead who are as comprehensive as Wright? I am aware of other evangelical works on the subject, but none which are as encyclopedic as Wright. I would appreciate any advice.

Thank you.

Alan,

There is an excellent book titled "Jesus Under Fire: Modern Scholarship Reinvents the Historical Jesus" edited by Micheal Wilkins and JP Moreland. This book takes on the Jesus Seminar directly with each Chapter written by a different theologian. It is an excellent work and I would highly recommend it.

As Far as NT Wright is concerned, I have read some of his books that advance his idea on NPP, but nothing on his views of the Jesus Seminar. He would not be my first recommendation on just about anything. There are a number of solid theologians who have taken on the Jesus Seminar heretics that you should try first.

Wayne is right. Although I wouldn't necessarily suggest staying away from Wright altogether, there are several other men who hold evangelical views and advocate the historic Christian faith that can be helpful to you on this issue.

Read Wright as you would read any other theologian who wavers on important issues: critically and in the light of conservative scholarship.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back