My wife wants to buy me a collected Works for wedding anniversary.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Regi Addictissimus

Completely sold out to the King
Greetings, beloved. My wedding anniversary is approaching and my wife would like to buy me a collected works set. The budget is around $100. I will supplement the difference. Please help me decide because as you all know, this is a huge decision as I will be devoting much time to their studies. These authors become like a dear friend. I am going specifically for collected works.

First the collected works that I own:
The Works of Matthew Henry
The Works of Rev. William Bridge
The Works of John Bradford
The Works of Robert Traill
The Works of Jonathan Edwards
The Works of Henry Scougal
The Works of Thomas Manton (BOT 3 vol)
The Works of John Boys
The Works of Christopher Love
The Works of Edward Reynolds
The Works of Thomas Adams
The Works of Edward Polhill
The Collected Sermons of Rev. Samuel Davies
The Ancient Church Fathers
All known works by William Gurnall
Many by Jeremiah Burroughs, Watson, Owen, Thomas Shepard, and etc. Sorry for the long list.

The collected works I am debating between:
Ezekiel Hopkins
William Perkins
J.H. Thornwell
Stephan Charnock
John Flavel
John Murray
John Bunyan
Rev. John Howe
Maybe the rest of James Durham's sermons. I own Christ Crucified

Can y'all think of any important works that I may have missed around that budget? I appreciate any suggestions. Has anyone purchased any Sovereign Grace publications? What is the text and binding quality like? Also, has anyone purchased from Solid Ground? I have contacted them a few times with no response. It makes me nervous to order from them.

Last edited:
Have you read all that you own already? If not, I advise doing that first; there is no end to the buying of books. Do you want to be well-read in the things of God, or have your library well-stocked?

"Have you read all that you own already? If not, I advise doing that first; there is no end to the buying of books. Do you want to be well-read in the things of God, or have your library well-stocked?"

I truly appreciate your concern. I am indeed well read in the things of God but will never be as knowledgeable in this life as I would want. I devote many hours a day to reading/studying. The need for a well stocked library is many of these great works disappear and go for astronomical prices. The more secularized and digital the world becomes, the harder these works will be to find, at least in tangible form. Lord willing, this is a library that will edify me and challenge me for the rest of my life. Also, they will be of great use once I enter the ministry, Lord willing.

Not 'Works' per se, but a guy on FB has a lot of books for sale, among them Calvin's Commentaries. I believe it is the same as mine, Baker edition from the '90s with sewn bindings. On FB it is within the group 'Reformed Theology Book Club.' I don't know the fellow but he has some fine books for sale.

Not 'Works' per se, but a guy on FB has a lot of books for sale, among them Calvin's Commentaries. I believe it is the same as mine, Baker edition from the '90s with sewn bindings. On FB it is within the group 'Reformed Theology Book Club.' I don't know the fellow but he has some fine books for sale.

Can you please private message me? I am interested but do not have a Face Book account. I would appreciate it.

Boston and Goodwin would be my top picks if they were in range. I forgot to add Sibbes and Brooks to the above list. I am keeping my eyes open. I struggle reading stuff on a screen. I prefer tangible, good ol' fashion books.

It is hard to choose between Sibbes, Flavel, and Charnock. Each one is very profitable. Personally, I might have a small preference for Charnock, but between them there is no bad decision.

So many good choices. If you are entering the ministry, I would advise Charnock. You need to know above all the God you are dealing with, and I think Charnock would help the most with that, although all of them would to a large degree. Bunyan would make for easier reading. Eventually, if you are going into the pastorate, you will want to own them all.

So many good choices. If you are entering the ministry, I would advise Charnock. You need to know above all the God you are dealing with, and I think Charnock would help the most with that, although all of them would to a large degree. Bunyan would make for easier reading. Eventually, if you are going into the pastorate, you will want to own them all.

Agreed. I have a great deal on the attributes of God in my plethora of ST's. Although, I have been wanting to read Charnock's treatment of the topic. I ended up with nothing even remotely that I expected, G.K. Beale's three volumes on the New Testament's use of the Old Testament. I will still be adding these volumes each month. God has been gracious to put me in a situation currently where I can add extensively to my library before I take the plunge into ministry.

I am strictly tangible books. Although, eventually I will cave and get Logos.
I too prefer hard copy to digital. Through Kindle I've been getting used to the electronic media and beginning to like it. In a recent sale I picked up D.A. Carson's Expositor's Bible Commentary on Matthew. I already had the hard copy which weighs 3.5 lbs. I like having both but find myself reading the Kindle version instead of the hard copy.
Logos has a free reader with many free texts. This can be converted to a paid for version at any time. So while you're saving you can get your feet wet so to speak, and take advantage of the format.

Greetings, beloved. My wedding anniversary is approaching and my wife would like to buy me a collected works set. The budget is around $100. I will supplement the difference. Please help me decide because as you all know, this is a huge decision as I will be devoting much time to their studies. These authors become like a dear friend. I am going specifically for collected works.

First the collected works that I own:
The Works of Matthew Henry
The Works of Rev. William Bridge
The Works of John Bradford
The Works of Robert Traill
The Works of Jonathan Edwards
The Works of Henry Scougal
The Works of Thomas Manton (BOT 3 vol)
The Works of John Boys
The Works of Christopher Love
The Works of Edward Reynolds
The Works of Thomas Adams
The Works of Edward Polhill
The Collected Sermons of Rev. Samuel Davies
The Ancient Church Fathers
All known works by William Gurnall
Many by Jeremiah Burroughs, Watson, Owen, Thomas Shepard, and etc. Sorry for the long list.

The collected works I am debating between:
Ezekiel Hopkins
William Perkins
J.H. Thornwell
Stephan Charnock
John Flavel
John Murray
John Bunyan
Rev. John Howe
Maybe the rest of James Durham's sermons. I own Christ Crucified

Can y'all think of any important works that I may have missed around that budget? I appreciate any suggestions. Has anyone purchased any Sovereign Grace publications? What is the text and binding quality like? Also, has anyone purchased from Solid Ground? I have contacted them a few times with no response. It makes me nervous to order from them.
How about the collected works of Charles Spurgeon?

The Early Church Fathers, it's a good foundation for everything else especially Augustine for the Reformation, Post-Reformational Theology etc. I like chronology

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back