My wife is looking for a book for a friend.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryanhamre

Puritan Board Freshman
We have a friend in our church that my wife talks to. This woman is going through some very difficult times. Her husband of 16 years is leaving her, has been unfaithful for a long time. Relinquishing all 7 of their children to her to take care of, and is just being a grievous sinner. This woman asked my wife if she had any recommended reading on grief that could relate somewhat to her situation, my wife in turn asked me, I couldn't think of anything outside of Scripture, can you give me any recommendations?

Try this:

http://www.amazon.com/How-Long-Lord-Reflections-Suffering/dp/0801031257

Can you burn CDs? I just listened to this set of 4 D A Carson audios on suffering

da carson - The Gospel Coalition ( the ones that say making sense of suffering..1,2,3,4) Other titles there look good but I didn't listen to them yet.

Carson seems to have a real gift in my opinion in helping people with grief and suffering. I heard him at a conference and it was so powerful. Such a blend of compassion mixed with hard hitting exhortation to push you into responding in a godly way. Nothing trite, nothing stupid, a real grasp of the mystery of suffering. No "Job's friends."

You may want something more on abandonment and adulterous husbands. Maybe try calling CCEF for ideas?

To tell you the truth, with something this severe, I hope your friend can get one on one long term supportive counseling and friendship. It might take years to get over, maybe the rest of her life if she does not remarry. I will pray for her tonight.

Thank you for your prompt response. I gave these resources to my wife, and I'm sure she'll check them out and send them along.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back