My Tomato Plants are Dying

LadyCalvinist

Puritan Board Junior
I have been growing tomato plants for the last year 5 years and while they don't always do great usually I wind up with a number of tomatoes at the end of the summer.
But this year is different. This year I have had something attack my plants and it doesn't seem to matter if the plants are hybrid or heirloom, in a container or in the ground. When I wake up in the morning I almost always find one of my plants has been attacked, the stem seems to have been sheared off. I am beside myself. I heard that marigolds deter predators so I bought marigolds but that did not work. I heard that cayenne pepper deters predators but that has not worked either. I don't know what to do anymore. I have a wooden fence around my garden but that has not stopped squirrels or a raccoon. in the past. I have not seen anything destroying my plants and I am at my wits end.

Help.

Berean

Puritanboard Commissioner
Probably cottontail rabbits. They can get through very small openings.. They've "sheared off" our tomato plants in the past. Find any telltale little balls nearby?

JM

Puritan Board Doctor
I had a problem with a squirrel or possum so I recently added cinnamon to the top soil and noticed my plants have not been touched since. I can't recommend it, I'm new to growing anything really, but the cinnamon has worked so far.

Last edited:

Taylor Sexton

Puritan Board Junior
I know down here in Georgia we have to be careful about cutworms. One of our tomato plants was almost cut in half a day or two after we planted it. Fortunately, the worm didn't cut all the way through, so the plant recovered.