My Overview of What St Paul Really Said

Discussion in 'Federal Vision/New Perspectives' started by BayouHuguenot, Apr 14, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BayouHuguenot

BayouHuguenot Puritanboard Amanuensis

This is an overview of the book, not a review or critique of it. I am not endorsing Wright's view of justification. I am in a school debate/discussion of the NPP with an advocate of it who plans to do grad work at Duke Divinity School. I read this book so that I could say that I have read both sides and in doing so, I feel I can critique it more easily, although the critique may be a while forthcoming. Lastly, I read this book because Wright does do a good job of roasting liberal claptrap that Paul invented Christianity. Again, this a brief overview of the book. I am only laying the ideas out:

2. Contra_Mundum

Contra_Mundum Pilgrim, Alien, Stranger Staff Member

(Jacob, I don't think you are promoting this book, so we are OK, alright?)

Despite any good points, in this book, Wright:

1) tries to make this point, "Justification is more about ecclesiology than soteriology"
    2) denies (or nearly so) the doctrine of hell
    3) denies the doctrine of imputation

Taken together, all three, I say that however much good he is at bashing the liberals, how is that materialy different from K. Barth's similar thrashing of Schliermacher's liberalism? Is doesn't make him a safe guide, even if we have similar opponents.

3. BayouHuguenot

BayouHuguenot Puritanboard Amanuensis

I am not really promoting this book.
    1) I saw it being referenced left and right in the current debates and decided, "hey, I am confident in my convictions (by the grace of God) and I want to know exactly why people are reacting the way they are,"

2) However liberal he may be in other areas, he does manage a good critique of liberals in this area.

3) I don't go to Wright on the doctrine of hell or justification, so what's the harm? Granted I might not be the most critical of people, but I do know my convictions and they are not easily set aside. To quote the brilliant theologian, Luke Skywalker, "I am not afraid."

But Schliermacher was thrashed, was he not?

[Edited on 4--15-05 by Draught Horse]

4. fredtgreco

fredtgreco Vanilla Westminsterian Staff Member

To quote another great movie theologian:

"Be afraid. Be very afraid."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.