My name is____I use this apologetic...

Status
Not open for further replies.

tdowns

Puritan Board Junior
Maybe this has been done. I'm trying to get a handle on what a presup and classic apologist look like. I listened to James White's critique of William Craig. That helped.

For reference, can somebody or anybody, chime in on the teachers I'm familiar with, and what their leaning is? I know most are a mix.

I'm not in any way putting these guys in the same category, in support of, etc...just people I'm familiar with.

James White
William Lane Craig
R.C. Sproul
Paul Manata
Hank Hanegraph
C.S. Lewis
Norman Geisler
Josh Mcdowell

Let me add:

Michael Horton
R. Scott Clark

I'll bite at this:

James White- Presuppositional with evidential overtones.
William Lane Craig-Classical
R.C. Sproul-Classical
Paul Manata- Presuppositional (Van Tillian)
Hank Hanegraph- Evidentialist
C.S. Lewis- Not sure?
Norman Geisler- Classical (Highly Arminian)
Josh Mcdowell-Evidentialist

Not sure about Dr. Clark and Dr. Horton. However, my guess is presuppositional.

Thanks John...

for taking the bite.

I have my guesses, similar to yours, I wasn't sure about Sproul?

With all the discussion about these issues, I sometimes get :duh: about what and who is what and why...:eek: :lol:

I am not sure that C.S. Lewis ever self-classified his methodology. I think his style most closely resembled the Cumulative Case method.

If you want to get the best understanding of the Presuppositional method read Bahnsen and listen to recordings of his debates.

If you want to read or hear a contemporary apologist who applies the method with the greatest skill look at Doug Wilson. I know, I know, FV this and that. When it comes to demonstrating the Van Tillian Presuppositional method Doug is one of the best at it today. Plus he has debated a lot of people and there is a good amount of material to read or listen to.

Peace

Thanks...

I'll do that.

This thread is already bearing fruit for me, although I may have seen/glanced at the above Sproul book years ago, now as I read their chapter critiquing Presup (online) I'm at least getting a better handle on the discussion.:)

James White----probably presupp
William Lane Craig---Classical
R.C. Sproul---Classical
Paul Manata---quasi hybrid (heavily presupp, though)
Hank Hanegraph---evidential
C.S. Lewis---classical (probably)
Norman Geisler---Who cares? ;)
Josh Mcdowell---Evidentialist
Michael Horton---Presupp
R. Scott Clark---?

Norman Geisler---Who cares? ;)

Haha, no love for Geisler?

Nope. No love for that guy. Not just because he's anti-calvinistic...although you can see his weaknesses really easily there.

He also wrote a book addressing Open Theism...that was also quite wretched. The man cannot represent, nor address, the opposing view with any cogency. I'm not sure if it's purposeful, or sheer laziness on his part.

I wouldn't touch any of his apologetics because he left such a bad taste in my mouth. That's before I read anything by White that refuted Geisler...after reading White, I can't seriously consider buying another book by Geisler...unless I have a wobbly table and only one of his books will eliminate the wobble.

Maybe this has been done. I'm trying to get a handle on what a presup and classic apologist look like.

Hi Trevor!

New members here at PB.

We too, are trying to get a handle on the apologetic differences, and are thinking if perhaps a listing of the leading scholars and "regulars" at PB, revealing their apologetic positions, might be more helpful for readers such as ourselves . . .for these persons are present and able to answer questions and stand scrutiny, and thereby and supposedly, better able to defend and define their positions than distant authors/dead men not represented on this site.

Would such a request be out of order, or too off-topic?

Jim

A classical apologist might answer the question, "Why believe that God exists?", with an answer along the lines of, "There are a number of evidences or arguments that would lead a person to the conclusion that a person like God exists..." A presuppositionalist answers the question along the lines of, "Unless you presuppose that God exists, you can adequately describe and account for the phenomena of nature as we encounter them and allow them to be meaningful and coherent, etc." No presuppositonalist really argues to the conclusion that God exists on the basis of a priori or a posteriori truths, but rather holds that God is a necessary precondition and presupposition that one must hold to to make human experience meaningful.

Good idea...

Maybe this has been done. I'm trying to get a handle on what a presup and classic apologist look like.

Hi Trevor!

New members here at PB.

We too, are trying to get a handle on the apologetic differences, and are thinking if perhaps a listing of the leading scholars and "regulars" at PB, revealing their apologetic positions, might be more helpful for readers such as ourselves . . .for these persons are present and able to answer questions and stand scrutiny, and thereby and supposedly, better able to defend and define their positions than distant authors/dead men not represented on this site.

Would such a request be out of order, or too off-topic?

Jim

Welcome Jim,

It's a great idea, more than happy to open this thread to that. I have a good idea, having read many of the threads, but I could see as a new person, it could be helpful. In fact, I believe there has been a poll on that before.

As far as my list, these are just the "big names" I've heard or read over the years, some in my early days as a Christian, some who I listen to today.

James White specifically mentioned his presup view, in contrast to Craig's view, in recent review of his debate against Hitchen. I had thought maybe Sproul would be a candidate for presup, which got me thinking to start this thread.

So that was a good clarification for me.

As for me, I think the debate is def. one of academics at many levels, meaning, giving a good defense of the faith, for most people, does not depend on understanding whether or not one is presup or not. But, I enjoy "trying" to get a handle on these subjects.:)

Back to :book2:

I'll start, Confessor is presup Christian Trader is not. :)

Last edited:
I'll start, Confessor is presup Christian Trader is not. :)

Heh!

That was easy . . .even I, as a Noobie had those two nailed . . .eh, CT? ;)

However, it would be beneficial to hear from any and all willing to volunteer the Scriptural (and reasonable) basis for their positions.

( I realize this may be requesting a rehash of things already discussed, so any links to archived threads on this subject would be readily received.)

Jim

Just a note,

I know many of us have been around here for a long time, and seen pretty much every debate and discussion there is, but, I for one enjoy seeing topics (well, maybe not all topics) discussed from a fresh perspective. I don't think people should fret too much about old threads (other than for research) that may have covered it.

There is a reason for message boards, most all these topics can be found in books, it's fun to interact with topics as we learn. I believe that's one reason old threads are locked, so that after a time, if the discussion bears repeating, a new one can begin.

It doesn't happen often, but it does happen when someone who has "done it all" feels the pain of:deadhorse: and comments on it.

That is also why some recent threads don't have all the action. I think, with the new flow of board members, it's great to let them have their day in hashing at, what to some may be old issues.

Sorry for that aside.:cool: I guess I'm saying, don't worry if it's been discussed, battle on!

OKay, it sounds like I use either a clasical or an evidentialist approach, but what are the differences between classical and evidentialist?

Sorry, Allan, I think that Modern Reformation chart is not unbiased. I think the author is merely batting for what he terms "the reformed" position...i.e., hijacking terms. I mean, who represented "the reformed position" before Van Til anyway? No one in the 1700's?

Also, the chart isn't very clear, I think it arbitrarily sticks people into schools and makes it appear that apologetics follows different schools whereas most folks use a mixed approach in practice.

The classicists, too, spoke of a sensus divinitatis and an innate knowledge of God.

Also, Aquinas never said that "sound reason will get you to the truth" I think he would have only granted that reasoning can get you to a generic theism, the rest (theology) would need revelation as well.

OKay, it sounds like I use either a clasical or an evidentialist approach, but what are the differences between classical and evidentialist?

What is usually labelled "evidentialist apologetics" is of the historical kind (e.g., providing evidence for God's existence based on miracles, etc.). Classical apologetics is evidentialist of the philosophical kind (e.g., providing evidence for God's existent through rational arguments - ontological, cosmological, teleological, moral, etc.).

For instance, Sproul argues against historical evidentialism but proposes a philosophical evidentialism. This is why Nash and Reymond classify Sproul as an evidentialist.

Pergamum-

No need to apologize for your thoughts. I agree with you. That's why I stated I would make some qualifications. Essentially those qualifications are the same ones you mentioned. I also see the bias that you see. Regarding your thoughts on being mixed in practice, that is why I mentioned the importance of reading what is said underneath the chart.

I linked the chart not with the intention of sharing exhaustive information, but simply as a starting point for getting a general idea of things. Not knowing where every individual is at on these issues, I see nothing wrong with starting very basic.

For what it's worth I take a classical/evidential position with some Schaeffer thrown in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back