My Greatest Sabbath day Temptation - F1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ewenlin

Puritan Board Junior
Once a year, well it's only been 1 year ago, I have to face my greatest Sabbath day temptation.

FORMULA 1 IN MY HOME CITY. THE ONLY NIGHT RACE IN THE WORLD!

WOOOOOOOOT.

Nevertheless I'll only catch the practice and qualifying and watch re-runs on Monday. Is it alright for me to feel :(? I'd want to say I won't let recreation hinder the Lord's day but it's F1! And it's here, in my city!

By the way, anyone F1 fans here? I just watched the qualifying and boy I feel bad for Nico Rosberg, getting the rug pulled from under him like that.

I have a feeling I'm all alone in this, seeing as all you guys talk about are football or baseball.

Josh, I know what I'm supposed to do, say, or even think regarding the Sabbath. But the reality of it is I'm not quite there yet in this aspect of my sanctification. Maybe when I've walked half the distance you guys have I'll be able to truly have that attitude in line with what I know.

What's better F1 or cracking open a good book? But I'm not much interested in sport of any kind.

Respectfully, Friend, if you "know what [you're] supposed to do, say, [and] even think regarding the Sabbath," then you have an obligation and duty to follow through with it in faith. If you're waiting for time and experience, or the emulation of other men, before you take the initiative, you should take a close look at things.

I do take the initiative and follow through with it in faith, but I thought you were talking about attitudes? :confused:

Ewen -

I commend you for doing what you know you ought to do.

But at the same time I understand the pull of something we really like. While I'm not into F1 racing, I can imagine your sense of "aww, man!" in regards to this event being in your town on Sunday.

May the Lord encourage you.

By the way, anyone F1 fans here? I just watched the qualifying and boy I feel bad for Nico Rosberg, getting the rug pulled from under him like that.

I have a feeling I'm all alone in this, seeing as all you guys talk about are football or baseball.

I used to be an F1 fan. The sport has some real problems under its current management, however.

I don't know anything about F1, but i definitely can relate to the pull/temptations of the world on my wicked heart. I applaud you brother Ewen for being transparent and honest with both yourself and the PB. Sure, you are not perfect and yes, you probably should desire more of God and less of the world, but who is not in that situation? I think it commendable of you to crucify your own desires to do what honors God. Is this always the easy choice? Certainly not in my life, but I am thankful that by the grace of our glorious God He is constantly growing me in the faith and changing my affections to those things that bring Him glory. I will pray for you in your walk and your struggle with this temptation and I covet your prayers for the same in my life.

Ewen,

We're all works in progress. May the Lord sanctify you in your struggle.

Romans 7:18-19

18 For I know that nothing good dwells in me, that is, in my flesh. For I have the desire to do what is right, but not the ability to carry it out. 19 For I do not do the good I want, but the evil I do not want is what I keep on doing. 20 Now if I do what I do not want, it is no longer I who do it, but sin that dwells within me.

Respectfully, Friend, if you "know what [you're] supposed to do, say, [and] even think regarding the Sabbath," then you have an obligation and duty to follow through with it in faith. If you're waiting for time and experience, or the emulation of other men, before you take the initiative, you should take a close look at things.

I do take the initiative and follow through with it in faith, but I thought you were talking about attitudes? :confused:

Consider this awesome thought. The God who chose you in Christ before the foundation of the world is He who ordained that your favorite sport would be available to you in YOUR city on HIS Day!

Deuteronomy 8:2 "And you shall remember that the LORD your God led you all the way these forty years in the wilderness, to humble you and test you, to know what was in your heart, whether you would keep His commandments or not.

Ewen,

I only know this.

Matthew 19

29And every one that hath forsaken houses, or brethren, or sisters, or father, or mother, or wife, or children, or lands, for my name's sake, shall receive an hundredfold, and shall inherit everlasting life.

Ewen, let's just say that you feeling sad about missing F1 isn't bad! There's nothing wrong with F1 so feeling sad about missing it isn't wrong. I really don't think that has anything to do with the Sabbath and what you will do. I think you will feel sad about missing F1 but then go to worship, fellowship, etc and will be joyful about the Sabbath. The point is is that you are not going to F1, you are going to observe the Sabbath and you are not going to let missing F1 interfere with you enjoying the Sabbath.

This is my greatest temptation:LC 121

Question: Why is the Word Remember Set in the Beginning of the Fourth Commandment?
Answer:
The word Remember is set in the beginning of the fourth commandment, partly, because of the great benefit of remembering it, we being thereby helped in our preparation to keep it, and, in keeping it, better to keep all the rest of the commandments, and to continue a thankful remembrance of the two great benefits of creation and redemption, which contain a short abridgment of religion; and partly, because we are very ready to forget it, for that there is less light of nature for it, and yet it restraineth our natural liberty in things at other times lawful; that it cometh but once in seven days, and many worldly businesses come between, and too often take off our minds from thinking of it, either to prepare for it, or to sanctify it; and that Satan with his instruments much labour to blot out the glory, and even the memory of it, to bring in all irreligion and impiety.

Remembering that there are so many ways to dishonor the Lord on His Holy Day is a constant reminder also of His great mercy to me, a poor sinner, who, even though called to preach the Word, profanes the Sabbath Day by not rising up to the level of obedience He has commanded.

Nevertheless I'll only catch the practice and qualifying and watch re-runs on Monday. Is it alright for me to feel :(? I'd want to say I won't let recreation hinder the Lord's day but it's F1! And it's here, in my city!

Not to discount what Josh has said, but to add a little food for thought. It might be okay to feel sad that you are missing something of import to you, but that should be mitigated by enjoying what you do have. If the F1 was on Monday, you would enjoy it. Because of the heathen world in which we live, you do have a loss of what would be enjoyment. For those that enjoy pro football, they can also have the same dismay that it is on the Sabbath, but that is not to disrupt the keeping of the Sabbath (which is yet another reason why I do not watch pro football.) Being sad because it is on the Lord's day is not the same as being sad because you "have to" worship. I sometime am aggravated by things that only happen on Sunday which I would like to be able to do (for example, my school is only open on weekends on Sunday, which deprives me of being able to do some additional work on the weekend that I might want to do). I am not sad because I am spending the day in worship (that is a true joy to my heart).

I would say sin creeps in when you find yourself thinking "I wish I didn't have to spend this time with God". If you are thinking "I wish they wouldn't have F1 racing on the Lord's day", I see nothing wrong with that (which would actually be a good thing to wish, even mournfully, as the drivers are working on the Lord's day, and ought to be spending the entire day in worship and praise of God.) While there is loss, what we gain is far greater; we can rest by faith in the knowledge that our father sets aside the time for us because of his great love for us.

Wouldn't that include the "think" in your statement?

Oh, I had in mind a purely cognitive thinking.

But your advice was good! Thanks :hug:
No problem, Friend. Let me just restate what I mean in a different way.

You asked if feeling like you were missing out because of missing the F1 Race (since it was on the Lord's Day). I'm saying that discontentment due to doing what's righteous is, in fact, wrong. What I'm not saying is each one of us is not guilty. We all feel that way at some time or another. We feel like we're missing out on something due to our Lord's Day duties. But we shouldn't feel that way, and it is wrong. So when I mention attitude I don't mean to say that anyone's attitude is perfect in that they never feel the way you expressed; rather, I mean that our attitude toward us feeling that way should be one of remorse and resolve to change it.

I hope that clarifies any muddy water I made.

Yes it definitely clarifies it though I wouldn't say you made any muddy water. I've always appreciated your responses, short of rat brains! :)

Consider this awesome thought. The God who chose you in Christ before the foundation of the world is He who ordained that your favorite sport would be available to you in YOUR city on HIS Day!

Deuteronomy 8:2 "And you shall remember that the LORD your God led you all the way these forty years in the wilderness, to humble you and test you, to know what was in your heart, whether you would keep His commandments or not.

Now I've never thought about it this way. :think:

I actually posted this more to see if there were any F1 fans in PB and see how they went about enjoying the sport whilst keeping the Sabbath. I feel bad that Chris had to move this to the Law of God forum on account of my poor forum decorum or skill in thread starting. Thanks though!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back