My experiences in Charismatic phenomena

Status
Not open for further replies.

rembrandt

Puritan Board Sophomore
While its not a pressing issue in my life right now, I am still in the process of sorting out some of the things that I was induced into while being discipled under a third-wave charismatic professed "prophetess."

While most of the Pentecostal experience is not too difficult to denounce as illusions of the mind, some things still haunt me to this day. First of all however, let me say that I was brought out of the Charismatic movement by the grace of God less than a year ago, and have delved into Pentecostal studies for the last year or two. I am entirely familiar with all the theological issues invloved. It is just that I can't seem to sort out this one issue.
Please note that even if it may seem like it, I am not a mystic, just wrestling with what really happened.

I am speaking of prophesies that turned out to be truthfully horrifying. The prophetess I am speaking of, is with the vineyard movement, follows all the lunatics, and is about as "out there" as one can get. She claims continual revelation from God and never stops "seeing things in the spirit."

She has completely departed from orthodoxy, so much so, that I do not hessitate to say that the spirit of the antichrist is deeply involved. I'm not going to get into my theory on the the antichrist's workings in the thirdwave movement, but I will say that they use deceptive concealment and pose to be the true God.

In this mini "school of prophets" that I attended, there would be all kinds of insane things going on. Pentecostals make a fuss about experiences, sometimes I think they rightfully do because they do have them. However, the ones that are not fake are usually demonic. The insane things I am talking about (apart from the demonic visits) is something more objective and verifiable.

Some of the "prophesies" were right on the money. The prophetess knew things (though alot of times they were her own fables) such as specific sins of people that have been committed in the last couple days. One of the people (a practicing student in her class) many times specifically told me what was presently going on in my mind (I'm not joking here).
One girl described in detail my last bowling game and mentioned things only I would know about it (It just so happened that she mentioned the bowling thing very dramatically, and that was the first time I had been bowling in over a year). (No, I'm not joking. Nor am I crazy, these are things that actually happened.)

I'm ashamed to admit it but I also got trapped into the movement and thought that my self deceived notions were really prophesy. Many times I was perfectly accurate however (I don't know how). We were doing "prophetic teams" one night where we would prophesy to people who wanted to "hear" God (I know its a bunch of crap). Someone was deciding if they should go off to college at a certain place. And they had told the two other people on my team what they had been prayfully contemplating. The "prophetess" sent the girl over to us (she knew that the other people knew but I didn't) because she thought that I had a "word" (I found that out later). I knew nothing about what was going on and didn't even know why the girl wanted a "word" (I didn't even really know her). And I described in crisp detail a supposed "vision" that I thought I got of a brick building. I mentioned it being a school, and I gave several other direct supposed "words of knowledge." The other people in the group began weeping (literally, like I'm not exaggerating) because they knew the specifics that I was describing. She went off to the school that I said in my supposed "vision."

That was a few of many things that are hard to explain away as mere coincidence. I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that I was a Christian prior to all this, so my theory on the demonic activity doesn't add up in this situation. Many of these people believe it or not are actual Christians (I trust that the true sheep will be enlightened as I have been one day). So I don't think that God would allow that extent of demonic revelatory information to be working through his true sheep.

I know that even in these things, God remains infinitely wise and has chosen to work through these false prophesies (in a sovereign, effacious sense (even though we were opposed to his will of disposition) for whatever purpose he is accomplishing through them (even if it is these false prophet's preparation for the day of destruction). I believe that any revelatory information must have been from: :wr30: since we were so clearly out of line with his will of disposition).

Many people dismiss the Charismatics because of their ridiculous claims. However, I would be willing to say that though alot of them are false, these people (at least the ones in the third wave movement and the such) really do experience these things. But instead of being from God, they are entirely demonic. It is impossible for me to dismiss the experiences because I have been their in the midst of all that. I'll save more stories for later (although I hate to rehash them because I hate to recall the deceptions of Satan).

What are ya'lls thoughts on all this? Satan does apear as an angel of light and still is alive preaching a false gospel. But praise be to God who in spite of our ignorance delivers us out, not by words of men but by His only true Word.

Rembrandt

I am very curious to hear the responses given to this as I have some family members involved in the same type of phenomenon. They alway appeal to thier experiences to validate their theology. Some of their experiences seem hard to discount.

Oh Rembrandt, how you dig up my old memories.....
The experiences are definitely real! It's their interpretation of the experiences that are completely flawed and tragic at that. I can remember "prophecying" over people and seeing things. Whether these things ever came true or not I haven't a clue. Most likely they didn't, because many of those I went to church with back then have fallen away last I heard. I was on the edge of insanity and fanaticism, yet I didn't realize it until the Lord pulled me out of it.
The revelations and prophecies often came true, but I'd warrant that many were mostly self-fullfiled by the recipient. And many more of the prophecies (that you didn't hear about) were often false. There is demonic activity there for certain. There is also much psychological manipulation too (which I believe is most of it). You know all this of course. But the sad thing is that the devil can in fact decieve and assail God's people for a time. But the joyful and hopeful truth is that it is only for a time, and God will always bring his elect home. I too often tried, and even still try, to understand what happened in those days. But really, it's pointless. It was a time dominated by irrationality and foolishness. How can you understand that? Memories fade and interpretations of those memories cloud up as we begin to understand where we really were. What's important is that the Lord has graciously placed you on the right road now.
For me, I had to start completely over. Tear down all the old foundations and rebuild with the word of God. Yet I occasionally find myself using those old bricks and so must remodel. Poor analogy perhaps, but it fits me. I don't know about you, but once I discovered the Reformed faith, I suddenly had no more fear. I didn't fear the devil or losing my salvation. I didn't fear the judgment of God for not responding to that "altar call" I should have went to. I didnt fear inadequacy anymore for not having those greater "gifts" that my peers seemed to have. I was no longer tossed about by every "new" teaching or prophecy. God is soveriegn and faithful. It was like finding a stray life boat in the middle of an ocean just before drowing.
But I would offer one word of caution. Don't get bitter at them. Do not let your zeal for the truth or your anger at those who decieve allow you to be unloving to them. We must respond in love and kindness to those still trapped in that heresy. "Our battle is not with flesh and blood..."
I made the sad mistake of letting my zeal for truth cloud the issue and as a result it created some wounds in my family which have not yet mended and put some black spots upon my testimony, and the reformed faith in their eyes. What I argued for was right and truthful, but not in a spirit of love and compassion, only to win the argument.
You are correct, there are many believers still there. I encounter ex-Pentacostals at almost every reformed church I've visited. The Lord is still saving them and if we remain loving and meek, then He will use us in that effort too.

Patrick

I can identify with your experience. I sut my teeth, Christianly speaking, in a church that was sympathetic to the charismatic movement. The youth minister had been a long-standing member of Toronto Airport Christian Fellowship before he came to this church. He told us (I was probably 16 at the time) that we were not experiencing all of God's blessing if we didn't have charismatic experiences. I remember we went to a weekend retreat (titled the "Holy Ghost Ho-Down) and on the final evening pastor told us about Baptism in the Holy Ghost, and after much psychological manipulaiton, all Hell broke loose. People doing the strangest things I'd ever seen. Incohereant babbling everywhere. I remember sitting there in the midst of all that chaos thinking that somehow I wasn't really saved or that I had been cursed because I wasn't having the same experience. Eventually I thought about leaving the Faith. I was convinced that what happended there was nothing of truth, and I thought that what I saw was the Christian faith. Thank God I was wrong.

I think that what the Charismatic movement works to fool Christians into taking all their focus off of Christ and putting it onto their divination and practice. It's more about these phenomenon than about Jesus, really.

[quote:9828cb4d00][i:9828cb4d00]Originally posted by joshua[/i:9828cb4d00]
I think that despite experience, it's best to always test experience with the Scriptures. No matter how "accurate" these "prophecies" or experiences may be, the standard is still under the scrutiny of God's Word. I'm sure you know all this, but having gone through these experiences yourself, I'm sure it's difficult to cast aside such things without them resurfacing. [/quote:9828cb4d00]

yes definitly

blade said, "remember many will cast out demons in the Lords Name but will not see the kingdom of God."

Thats a hard verse considering that it takes the power of God to drive out demons (as Jesus said a number of times- Satan will not drive out Satan). I think we must take this verse to mean "many will "think" they will cast out demons." Unless sometimes under abnormal circumstances, God does give the power (or more like choose to work sovereignly through a hardened vessel), to accomplish good to the person possessed.

Another thing, what I'm really trying to get at, (I don't mean to get off into subjective experiences), but it seems that the Spirit was there at times (though it seems like the antichrist is there more often than not). But then again God is omnipresent, and just because he is there doesn't imply that he doesn't despise the movement. I bring this up because as a Christian in the mix of all this, I know the Spirit and generally know when it is the antichrist posing. A good theory to explain all this is that God is there with his saints and ministering to those who are sealed for the day of redemption, but only in a sense of keeping them from falling into the worship of the anitchrist. And as for the reprobate, God is there with them as well (though not doing any work in their heart). (using Luther's explaination of God's method of hardening men) God is there approaching the reprobate with the true gospel and true witness of the Spirit, but they immediantly turn from Christ and become focused on the phenomena (which is in turn really serving the purpose of the devil).

All of this is in God's ultimate purpose in a way so profound it is hard to give explanation. And being that there isn't a specific place in Scripture that explains how God works these things out (atleast I don't know of any), we must stick to the Scripture that we do know (which prove that these are false happenings and workings of the devil). And for that that we have no explanation for, we must let God be God, and not attempt to pry into the hiddenness of God.

Keep in mind that I am not necessarily talking about Pentecostals in general (as I would vow to say that there are godly men among them), but those trapped in the third wave movement and the likes.

Rembrandt

I grew up with Assemblie of God folk who I am convinced were elect believers even if they didn't understand election. But what concerns me about their teaching is the people who I meet who seem to be either rejecting God because of the Arminian teaching which they received as kids, or trying to live the Christian life but seeming to be crippled by those teachings, which at best emphasised works and at worst was perfectionistic.
I remember being told that if I didn't get right with God, the Rapture was going to come and I'd be left behind. Maybe that was a '60's thing. Thank God He didn't leave it up to me to finally have enough good will to believe in Him, and doesn't leave it up to me to get perfect, to "lay my all on the altar"etc, since I would never do that left to my own devices!

In considering the fact that some of these "prophecies" were acurate, consider Deut. 13:1-5 "1 "If there arises among you a prophet or a dreamer of dreams, and he gives you a sign or a wonder, 2 and the sign or the wonder comes to pass, of which he spoke to you, saying, 'Let us go after other gods'--which you have not known--'and let us serve them,' 3 you shall not listen to the words of that prophet or that dreamer of dreams, for the Lord your God is testing you to know whether you love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul. 4 You shall walk after the Lord your God and fear Him, and keep His commandments and obey His voice, and you shall serve Him and hold fast to Him. 5 But that prophet or that dreamer of dreams shall be put to death, because he has spoken in order to turn you away from the Lord your God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt and redeemed you from the house of bondage, to entice you from the way in which the Lord your God commanded you to walk. So you shall put away the evil from your midst."

Note that in verse 2 the sign or wonder came true and in verse 3 that God used this false prophet as a "test" to see if the people would follow God. This may (and I emphasis "may") help to explain why some of the "prophecies" were correct. God is testing His church. Also consider Matt 24:24 "For false christs and false prophets will rise and show great signs and wonders to deceive, if possible, even the elect."

Wayne

Matt 24:24 "For false christs and false prophets will rise and show great signs and wonders to deceive, if possible, even the elect."

Whats hard to come to grips with is, "if possible, even the elect." I realize the "if possible" part, meaning if God so allows it to happen just for a time. And even more disturbing is that these "great signs and wonders" are actually happening in the Charismatic arena, though on an extremely limited basis.

And yes, Dueteronomy does explain the reason for alot of this:
"3 you shall not listen to the words of that prophet or that dreamer of dreams, for the Lord your God is testing you to know whether you love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul."

Originally posted by WrittenFromUtopia
I may be wrong, but I believe that Matt. 24 passage is part of the prophecy related to the destruction of Jerusalem in A.D. 70.

I believe it is as well, but it is still there for us to use as instruction and example as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back