MWS

Discussion in 'Worship' started by A.Joseph, Mar 12, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. A.Joseph

A.Joseph Puritan Board Freshman

always look for help in proper discernment- is Michael W Smith a good, faithful listen?

I’m often duped by modern Christian artists... is he sincere Christian or is his art just profit driven ?

Last edited: Mar 12, 2019
  2. Taylor Sexton

Taylor Sexton Puritan Board Junior

Not to be picky (for its own sake, anyway), but I think this is something of a false dichotomy. I think there are a lot of sincere, Jesus-loving, Bible-cherishing, truly regenerate Christian songwriters who simply write rubbish when it comes to lyrics. So, I think asking both "Is he faithful?" and "Is he profit-driven?" are two different areas of concern. Besides, the latter question—namely, "is he profit driven?"—is a difficult question to answer, anyway, for it deals with motives and intentions of the heart, none of which we can see.

3. A.Joseph

Understood... as far as modern worship goes ? I’m trying to get into worship music, any recommendations?

4. Tom Hart

Tom Hart Puritan Board Junior

Well, there was this guy called David...

• Like Like x 6
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • List
  5. Edward

Edward Puritan Board Doctor

6. JTB.SDG

JTB.SDG Puritan Board Sophomore

So...don't judge me people, as I'm going to recommend something other than the Psalms or the Trinity hymnal....

I discovered Matt Boswell recently, I don't know much about him but really appreciate his stuff (see especially Come behold the Wondrous Mystery). Andrew Peterson I've found to be fantastic (check out his: Is He Worthy). Also don't know much about these folks but really appreciated a lot of the songs on the single album by Tommee Profitt and Brooke Griffith. Another band I've discovered and appreciate is CityAlight.

7. moral necessity

moral necessity Puritan Board Junior

I greatly appreciate the work of Reformed University Fellowship in creating Indelible Grace.

Good, solid Trinity hymns put to modern music and new melodies.

All of their CD's are available here.

http://www.igracemusic.com/

Blessings!

8. earl40

earl40 Puritan Board Post-Graduate

Personally I think U-2 hits the mark better than most "Christian musicians". :)

9. Goodcheer68

Goodcheer68 Puritan Board Freshman

Sons of Korah put the Psalms to music that is somewhat ecclectic/alternative/soft rock. Really good stuff!
    https://sonsofkorah.com/

Last edited: Mar 16, 2019
  10. py3ak

py3ak They're stalling and plotting against me Staff Member

11. A.Joseph

Thanks for the feedback everyone!

12. MCM180

MCM180 Puritan Board Freshman

There's a band called My Soul Among Lions that does versified psalms in a folk-rock sort of style. I've found their stuff both enjoyable for driving-to-work singing and useful for having the congregation sing psalms.

13. SolaScriptura

SolaScriptura Puritan Board Doctor

MWS, I think, was instrumental in moving CCM into the more praise and worship format it has been in for several years.

Though I will say, his Secret Ambition was instrumental in my life in the months I was being introduced to Jesus.

14. Charles Johnson

Charles Johnson Puritan Board Freshman

I really do not like CCM but Michael W Smith is a very genuine guy.
    If you want doctrinally sound music and you can stomach hip-hop/rap, Shai Linne is a good (and very reformed) choice.

15. Andrew35

Andrew35 Puritan Board Freshman

I've really enjoyed the albums of Psallos. They've got an album on Romans, Hebrews, and will soon have one on Jude. Good stuff, but it's really designed to be listened to as complete albums rather than individual songs.

16. De Jager

De Jager Puritan Board Freshman

I recommend the Psalms. They are pretty sound theologically and somehow the songs are timeless.

17. BottleOfTears

BottleOfTears Puritan Board Freshman

City Alight
    New Scottish Hymns Band

18. Hamalas

Hamalas whippersnapper

My top three recommendations would be:

1) Andrew Peterson
    2) Andrew Peterson
    3) & Andrew Peterson

(Seriously, you should check him out.)

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Amen Amen x 1
    • List
  19. Reformed Bookworm

Reformed Bookworm Puritan Board Sophomore

I would also second this. Peterson is great. His words are absolutely saturated in Scripture. From what I have heard, his lyrics have nothing questionable.

20. ScottishPresbyterian

ScottishPresbyterian Puritan Board Freshman

I know it's been said before but...

The Psalms.

You don't need to ask if they're sound, because the author is the Holy Ghost.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.