Must-haves for baby

Status
Not open for further replies.
too many burping (shoulder) towels/pads.

I cheaped out here and did a value pack of washcloths from Walmart (14 for $4). Plus, they're useful later, unlike most burp cloths.

Kim, I wore/wear Grace a lot, but a pack-n-play and activity mat are helpful while I get a shower, do laundry, or clean up after the cats, etc. The activity mat is good developmentally, but not a necessity. However, I like to have a couple of safe places like a pack n play to leave baby long enough to go to the bathroom! ;)

There isn't much that I would say is a "must." However, I would say that if you are planning to get a crib in the long run, you might as well just get it right away, and skip the bassinet. I found a "side-carred crib" arrangement to be absolutely wonderful (google it) for enabling mom to get plenty of sleep despite baby waking to feed several times a night.

Stoller tips: get something that's not too heavy (maybe an aluminum frame), with bigger tires (to handle bumps, curbs more easily), and with a substantial sunshade. Some umbrella strollers will meet those requirements.

The ultimate parenting book in my opinion is "Raising Godly Tomatoes." The author has a very balanced and sensible approach, not as extreme as some of the others. Most of the information in the book is available on her website for free (google it).

However, I would say that if you are planning to get a crib in the long run, you might as well just get it right away, and skip the bassinet.

That's why I like the pack and plays with the bassinet on top--much better value for the money, in my opinion.

Kim, I wore/wear Grace a lot, but a pack-n-play and activity mat are helpful while I get a shower, do laundry, or clean up after the cats, etc. The activity mat is good developmentally, but not a necessity. However, I like to have a couple of safe places like a pack n play to leave baby long enough to go to the bathroom! ;)

Shower? Laundry? What's that? :lol: I know what you mean about a safe place. That's very important . . . even more so when they start rolling around!

Last edited:
Plus the pack n play gives you a safe place for the baby to sleep at a hotel or a relative's house.

When they started pushing up, I'd put my babies on the bath rug while taking a shower. They'd wriggle their fingers in the softness and look surprised at their big new discovery : )

I didn't have time to read all the other responses, but the things we appreciated the most were a vibrating bouncy seat (two of our three slept in one for a few months b/c of reflux, colic, etc.), a swing (inexpensive will do, unless you want a nice one to pass down), some zip sheets, and a pack-and-play.

We found swaddling to be absoluely wonderful! Even up to two years old, when it came to bed time I would lay the blanket out and my son would run over and lie down on it to be swaddled! Definately get those. I loved the little burpee rags too. I used them afterwards as car rags for my vehicles. They are still going strong to this day!

I thought I had to be swaddling the oldest kid in America (Grace is 19 months). Glad it's not just me. I need a replacement one, but the sizes have gotten smaller in the brand I use :(

If it's a boy I'd suggest a pee pee tee pee..

Welcome

A breast pump that way dad can help w/ feedings if mom has to leave for some reason (my daughter didn't think she'd use hers very often, but when the baby would fall asleep nursing she could pump and freeze the milk for later)

Medicine dropper pacifier
nail clippers, their nails grow fast
socks
sleepers

My own view: make use of this opportunity to acquire those essential "must-haves" like you said. But realise that the list of actual must-haves is very short. Even the most obvious "must-haves" are dependent on family situation: pretty sure you need a car seat, but some families don't. Diapers pretty certainly needed in this culture, but one family uses disposables and another uses cloth. I would be wary of acquiring too many other things unless you and your wife are sure that they will be used by your family. Some things you may decide are worth getting anyway, I mean you can't consider all the possibilities (like baby being allergic to something weird). But if at all possible I would try to encourage people to give gift cards just as much as actual gifts. Then you can easily acquire those things you find you need later on, without adding to the financial stresses of having a new little one. (Though nothing wrong with registering for a little luxury treat for baby/mama too!)

I don't have much to add since my husband and I are expecting our first little one in February :)eek:) but lots of women in our church have these and say they are very helpful when baby goes out on play dates or is in the church nursery:

babaLABELS: Personalized Sippy Cup Labels, Baby Bottle Labels & Dishwasher Safe Bands

It's so your baby's bottle doesn't get mixed up with another baby's :) The name can't be wiped off and it's dishwasher/microwave safe!

Andres, The Missus and I remembered this while driving this evening. It's not something to put on a registry, but it is something that nobody will remember (probably) to tell you about.

Go buy some infant gas drops at your local pharmacy (the store brand will work just fine). At some point, the little fella/gal will wake up screaming for no apparent reason. Gas is the most likely culprit, but it's hard to get rid of all that gas by just burping. The drops do the job. They are worth it, trust me.

Andres, The Missus and I remembered this while driving this evening. It's not something to put on a registry, but it is something that nobody will remember (probably) to tell you about.

Go buy some infant gas drops at your local pharmacy (the store brand will work just fine). At some point, the little fella/gal will wake up screaming for no apparent reason. Gas is the most likely culprit, but it's hard to get rid of all that gas by just burping. The drops do the job. They are worth it, trust me.

Thanks Tim! Anything that will quiet a screaming child in the middle of the night is definitely a must!

A pack-and-play playpen/bed deal is indispensable in my book. We used ours right up to the weight limit. Do not get used.

Yes, these are awesome!

Pacifiers depend on the kid. For some of ours they were a must. Our most recent daughter couldn't care less, she liked her thumb.

I used the plastic shopping bags to dispose of really soiled diapers.

I agree with these:

pack n play (with bassinet is great) it doesn't have to be the most expensive one, but i do think Graco is the cheapest you should go for this. we bought a supplementary one, once, for $40 and it stunk.
some sort of swing, though i don't currently have one and do have a newborn (uh oh). Cradle Swing is my dream swing, but mucho dinero : (
one of these are fine, but look at walmart/target for better price.
kiddopotomus swaddlers
booster seat instead of high chair--it can also travel with you and baby gets to eat right at the table with you.
bath seat for when baby is a little older (can sit). this will be especially useful if you have another child someday--easier to bathe little one with big one if you have this. but it was great even just for one child. this is what i have, but listed incredibly expensive at amazon. here's one that looks similar, but i can't vouch for.
vibrating bouncy seat

i disagree with the crib-to-toddler bed purchase. we've not used toddler beds but started our kids on twin beds after crib stage. our 20 month old is still in a crib and our three year old has been in a twin bed since she turned three. we actually have kept our little ones in pack n play for many, many months, just because the logistics of our home with multiple babes. (Four kids, age five and under!) i think you could almost do without a crib, even.

I was on another thread, and I just thought of a must have, although you might be able to hold off on this for a couple of years -

a toilet snake.

I agree that not much is really essential - we had our first while dh was in grad school, lived in a tiny apartment on his research assistant stipend, so we got by on mostly what people gave us. But after l having 4 kids and seeing what I really used, if I had to do a registry over I would put on there:

Moses Basket
slings - ring sling, moby wrap, pouch, ergo (but not the baby bjorn - a hiking type backpack for dh to use)
Sunshine Radian carseat (they are heavy, high quality, comfy, go from birth to age I think 8 but also narrower than anything out there - you can fit 3 of these in the back of a regular sedan!)
Space saver high chair seat (I used mine instead of a highchair)
nursing covers (make privacy so much easier!)
Small pack n play (these fit through doorways, unlike the standard size)
If you live where it gets cold, definitely a Bundle Me
I've never had one, but I like the Maclaren umbrella strollers - I've borrowed one from a friend and it was great. I really like my Joovy sit and stand and wish I had just gotten that with my first. Something to consider if you think you might have another before too long.
None of my kids liked swings or bouncers, but we got tons of use out of our exersaucer

If you want to do cloth diapers, pick them out and put them on your registry.
Don't put clothes, people like to pick our their own, and you will probably get lots of hand me downs if you ask around.

I am a Mother-Baby (Nursery) nurse for almost 15 years.

Just take one year at a time so you don't get overwhelmed as to what to buy.

Babies have a lot of room to grow, grow and grow...so adjust based on their developmental age/stage when it comes to things you need to buy.

Immediately after birth...what do you need?

1.100 % cotton shirts
2. 100 % cotton blankets and some thicker baby blankets for winter.
3. Size 1 year old clothes----baby will grow so fast.The stores will encourage you to buy the right size so you will keep coming back and buy some more. Baby will grow so fast the right size clothes will not fit after a month.
Tell friends and family to give bigger size clothes (1 yr.old)

4. Before buying a Car Seat seat , be sure- the type of Car seat is not in the recall list.
Many parents buy very expensive Car Seats only to find out it is in the recall list. We discover this in the Nursery when we test if babies can tolerate the Car Seat. We do car seat test on babies less than 37 weeks old, we check their Oxygen saturation for 1 hour while sitting in the car seat---to be sure they can breathe well and not turn blue while on the car seat on 45 degree angle.

5. A must for first time Mom and Dad to have a State Trooper check the Car seat to be sure it latches and holds baby down in place on impact...or when the driver suddenly steps on the break. Our hospital for example hired a State Trooper to check all Car seats before babies go home.

6.Baby will feed and feed. Be sure Mom has a lot of container for Breast milk at home if Breastfeeding. Mom needs to take a break and when she goes out with friends,she can leave milk for Dad to feed baby at home. Dad needs to bond with baby too.

1. Backpack for Dad so he can also carry milk , diapers ,wipes with him.
Carry baby and with supplies at the back.

7. Hand sanitizers at home and in the car. Because baby can only have Hepatitis B Vaccine immediately after birth, baby does not have all the immunizations yet for childhood diseases. Baby can get sick easily and pick up diseases from people who are sick and don't wash their hands . Train people to wash their hands at all times.

8.Soft light for baby(babies eyes cannot don't process bright lights the way adults eyes do,that's why babies always close their eyes and if you turn the lights down babies will open their eyes) . Soft music, soft voices,babies jerk and get startled when you jar their crib and when people talk loud. We keep our Nursery quiet do babies can sleep.They need energy and strength to Breastfeed .Tired sleepy baby won't eat well.

9.Give a lot of help for Mom . Rule number 1 is Mom takes care of her self and she must ask for help after delivery because she has gone through a lot.

It is not selfish, a healthy Mom...can care for her baby excellently. So help mommy. Give dad a break too,and let him sleep and eat well. Dads labor with moms as well and usually are very tired.

10.Just proceed as the baby grows. Baby will outgrow many things you buy quickly. The rest will be junk!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back