Musical instruments in worship

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is a real shame that many just sweep Rev. Schwertley to the side on this and many other things, for whatever reason they concoct.

I wasn't aware of any problems with him. I listen to him alot. Love the guy. His series on Liturgical antinomianism was great.

There are no "problems" with Rev. Schwertley. My point was that many dismiss him and ignore him for no good reason at all except for their own pride.

It is a real shame that many just sweep Rev. Schwertley to the side on this and many other things, for whatever reason they concoct.

I wasn't aware of any problems with him. I listen to him alot. Love the guy. His series on Liturgical antinomianism was great.

There are no "problems" with Rev. Schwertley. My point was that many dismiss him and ignore him for no good reason at all except for their own pride.

Thanks brother Glaser. I am total agreement with Brian that reformed churches need a new reformation. I've had quite a few in the last 3 years alone and this issue is one of them.

Benjamin, this seems a bit close to reading motives to me. Are you sure this is fair?

I wasn't aware of any problems with him. I listen to him a lot. Love the guy. His series on Liturgical antinomianism was great.

Benjamin, this seems a bit close to reading motives to me. Are you sure this is fair?

It is fair when the situation calls for it. I have seen few critiques of Rev. Schwertley's work that are fully exegetical in nature and even then that do not summarily invoke some type of personal critique of him or of his supposed "associations".

It is fair when the situation calls for it. I have seen few critiques of Rev. Schwertley's work that are fully exegetical in nature and even then that do not summarily invoke some type of personal critique of him or of his supposed "associations".

Don't get me wrong, I have a deep respect for his work. However, he's not exactly what you would call main-stream in terms of his publishing. So, his works are not published by a major publisher, and therefore he doesn't get read as much as his work certainly deserves. Why should that translate into people deliberately giving him the cold shoulder? His work has been reviewed in the Confessional Presbyterian (positively, if I recall).

This is a discussion for another thread but it is precisely because Rev. Schwertley does not publish in "mainstream" ways it gives the impression to some unfortunately that he is not to be taken seriously because he does not have a PH.D from xyz Seminary or xyz University or because he is not published in xyz Journal or by xyz Publishing Co.

This is a discussion for another thread but it is precisely because Rev. Schwertley does not publish in "mainstream" ways it gives the impression to some unfortunately that he is not to be taken seriously because he does not have a PH.D from xyz Seminary or xyz University or because he is not published in xyz Journal or by xyz Publishing Co.

I totally agree that he should be written off for any of those reasons. His book on the FV, by the way, was quite good. However, the fact that he is not published by a publisher that can actively promote his works to a wide audience guarantees that his books will not receive the attention they deserve. It's unfortunate, but that's the nature of publishing these days. In any case, I don't he's being ignored because people want to ignore him.

Much of the critique that I have heard revolve around what people perceive as him still being in the 'cage stage' (google it). People also critique him based on the fact that he has changed denominations so frequently and now has helped found one based on the assumption that much of Presbyterianism is apostate.

I love his writings too, I have met him on several occasions, had him in my home more than one time, hosted him for a Grand Rapids book tour- but I know what people are talking about.... the argument goes like this: Without charity I am but a clashing cymbal and you know a tree by its fruits.

I am not speaking against him, per se, but I have heard from a lot of people that they feel as though he 'burned' them. This would surely limit your readership and your 'authority' as a man of God.

Doesn't Rev. Schwertley, much like John Piper, make many of his works free online? If so, could someone post a link?

I'm under the impression that the biggest "problem" with Rev. Schwertley is remembering how to spell his last name. Can I buy a vowel, Pat? :duh:

Much of the critique that I have heard revolve around what people perceive as him still being in the 'cage stage' (google it). People also critique him based on the fact that he has changed denominations so frequently and now has helped found one based on the assumption that much of Presbyterianism is apostate.

I love his writings too, I have met him on several occasions, had him in my home more than one time, hosted him for a Grand Rapids book tour- but I know what people are talking about.... the argument goes like this: Without charity I am but a clashing cymbal and you know a tree by its fruits.

I am not speaking against him, per se, but I have heard from a lot of people that they feel as though he 'burned' them. This would surely limit your readership and your 'authority' as a man of God.

I have known Pastor Schwertley for about ten years now. During that time I myself have changed denominations twice. What I see in Brian is a man that will not compromise his beliefs just to be popular or ecumenical. I agree with him that much of Presbyterianism is apostate on the very issues he writes about. Purity of worship and defending the true gospel against the inventions of men are huge issues that plague modern Presbyterianism. I thank God that there are are still stalwart Presbyterians like Brian out there.

I have known Pastor Schwertley for about ten years now. During that time I myself have changed denominations twice. What I see in Brian is a man that will not compromise his beliefs just to be popular or ecumenical. I agree with him that much of Presbyterianism is apostate on the very issues he writes about. Purity of worship and defending the true gospel against the inventions of men are huge issues that plague modern Presbyterianism. I thank God that there are are still stalwart Presbyterians like Brian out there.

Then most of this board is apostate. Many of us are in the denominations that he has condemned.

If someone wants to discuss instruments in worship, let a new thread begin. This one has derailed immediately into something else, so I'm closing it.

BTW, it might be helpful to write out a summary of the points raised in the audio.

:judge:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back