Music Recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.
I listen to 2 categories of music, Christian, and instrumental. I listen to instrumental partly because that is how my brain is wired, I hear music and melodies over actual words, and because I can listen to lots of good music with a clear conscience, I also don't particularly care for what people have to sing about if it's not Christian.
My wife and I are big jazz fans. You will often hear it playing in our home along with modern classical. I have always been drawn more to instrumental music than music with words. There are many exceptions of course.

Outside of my normal work and photography, I am a sound designer, composer, and producer in the realm of modern classical and ambient, i.e., Tony Anderson, Olafur Arnalds, Nils Frahm, Loscil, etc.

Last edited:
Arvo Part is one of my favorite modern composers. He does many compositions directly from Scripture.
My husband has a beautiful baritone voice, and has sung with many choirs over the years.
One concert his group sang Part's Magnificat, which is sublime.
A most masculine Magnificat, just gorgeous.
Listening to this piece, on a snowy winter's day, is other-worldly.

I would like to recommend this channel here: https://www.youtube.com/c/MartijndeGroot

He posts hymns from Grace Community Church (MacArthur), the Metropolitan Tabernacle (Masters), and, my personal favorite, Westminster Chapel, London, when Dr. Martyn Lloyd Jones preached there. In many of the audio recordings of MLJ's sermons, there are hymns included in the recording towards the end and this guy posts them on his channel. I don't know why, but it is just such a joy to me to hear the good doctor sing with his congregation. They are by far my favorite.

Here is a playlist, from his channel, for the hymns recorded with MLJ and his congregation: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLA75QZVS1VQJdyG7Kua8w-bR9nLyGoe6c

My wife and I are big jazz fans. You will often hear it playing in our home along with modern classical. I have always been drawn more to instrumental music than music with words. There are many exceptions of course.

Outside of my normal work and photography, I am a sound designer, composer, and producer in the realm of modern classical and ambient, i.e., Tony Anderson, Olafur Arnalds, Nils Frahm, Loscil, etc.
Jazz you say?!?!?!? My ears perked up. I love listening to B.B. King.

I don't listen to music much but I do like Shane & Shane's older stuff. I haven't really listened to their newer music.

Technically, B. B. is blues, and an incredible blues musician he was. His performance of The Thrill is Gone at Cook County Jail was phenomenal.

We are big fans of blues in our household as well.

So, naturally, you have Robert Johnson's recordings in your collection, amirite?

I saw B. B. King live at the Hollywood Bowl back in the '70s, when he was in his prime. He was amazing.

So, naturally, you have Robert Johnson's recordings in your collection, amirite?

I saw B. B. King live at the Hollywood Bowl back in the '70s, when he was in his prime. He was amazing.
Naturally, love me some Delta Blues. Lots of interesting folklore around DJ. Junior Kimbrough is also on rotation. The Black Key's did a fantastic job covering Junior's tracks on Chulahoma.

And that is pretty incredible. I would have loved to have been around to see him back then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back