Votes: 9 56.3%
  • Yes

Votes: 7 43.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

bookslover

Puritan Board Doctor
I told my son (age 26) about the poll over who is better, Led Zepellin or Rush? He said that a more interesting poll would be to ask: who is better, Rush or Yes? One is hard rock and one is prog rock, yet both bands were willing to be experimental.

So, who is better?

I betcha' that the long awaited Def Leppard versus Van Halen poll would summon the masses to your thread unlike anything you've ever posted before.;)

I'm looking at it from the point of view of who was most influential. I hear band after band say they were influenced by Yes. On the other hand, most drummers were influenced by Neal Pert. As far as which band get the biggest visceral response from fans it's very close - I lean toward Yes. Roger Dean's art helped a lot as well.

It could be "Yes" or "no", or a "Who" or "what" but thankfully it shouldn't become a "Yes or Who" question - that would be apples and oranges.

The glass shattering vocals of Geddy Lee.....the studio perfect guitar work of Lifeson......the totally unrivaled "stick" work of Pert........I would have to say RUSH.;)

Last edited:
I'm looking at it from the point of view of who was most influential. I hear band after band say they were influenced by Yes. On the other hand, most drummers were influenced by Neal Pert. As far as which band get the biggest visceral response from fans it's very close - I lean toward Yes. Roger Dean's art helped a lot as well.

:ditto:

Guess that makes me a "Yes man"! :lol:

Again, another tough question. I absolutely love Yes. Close to the Edge was a brilliant album. Very good progressive rock band.

I vote Yes.

I didn't vote in the poll. I find similarities between Rush and Yes in some ways. One can definitely hear an influence that Yes has had on Rush though they only predate Rush by a few years. The bass work of Chris Squires and Geddy Lee are both superb and though I think Peart is a better drummer than Buford I really don't think there would be a Rush as we know them had there not been Yes.:2cents:

Yes, and here's why...

435px-Rick_wakeman_on_stage_with_cape.jpg

There is a vote for Rush on this that doesn't count! My son came running in, grabbed the mouse, and voted for them before I could react. He heard me say "Oh yuck, I didn't like either Rush or Yes."

Why there is a 17 1/2 year old Rush fan running around baffles me! But then I hear Frank Sinatra and Flogging Molly in succession coming from his room.

There is a vote for Rush on this that doesn't count! My son came running in, grabbed the mouse, and voted for them before I could react. He heard me say "Oh yuck, I didn't like either Rush or Yes."

Why there is a 17 1/2 year old Rush fan running around baffles me! But then I hear Frank Sinatra and Flogging Molly in succession coming from his room.

You had me a Rush and Frank Sinatra, but lost me somewhere in between Flogging and Molly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back