MTW's "Original Vision Network"

Discussion in 'Church Order' started by Romans922, May 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Romans922

Romans922 Puritan Board Professor

This seems like it will be a big story in the coming years. MTW has set up what they call the "Original Vision Network". Please read and discuss here/there about what this is all about. Anyone know anything more about this?

What is Mission to the World’s PCA Original Vision Network? « Johannes Weslianus

2. jwithnell

jwithnell Moderator Staff Member

I saw this via other sources and was quite confused, so I'm glad you posted. If they are trying to reinstate solid, reformed doctrine and practice then such a move is welcome. With the incursion of doctrine such as New Perspectives and Federal vision, perhaps a return to roots is a good thing. Or if a reinstatement of the RPW is in mind, then great! However, I'm not sure why this is coming out of MTW. To address these issues only in foreign missions? What does this mean here in the states? Will MTW embrace fully reformed worship abroad? (I know of at least one Presbyterian mission work they rejected unless the services be made more broadly evangelical.):detective:

3. Romans922

Which mission work was rejected? Any documentation on that?

Also, I agree with you if what you said is their goal, but I am hesitations about it because you see the second bullet point above (in the letter) says,

4. Jack K

Jack K Puritan Board Professor

Like it or not, though, that part of the statement seems to be a pretty accurate summary of what the PCA wanted to be at its founding. Certainly, it's the sense I got of the PCA a few years later. It was about neither (1) being loose and copying whatever you see in evangelicalism nor (2) some version of a "TR" agenda. Both of those are developments that came later. It's also fair to say that both of those later developments have resulted in a measure of internal squabbling in the PCA that may have distracted from the work of proclaiming the gospel to the unchurched.

Just guessing, but it sounds to me like that's the point of this thing.

5. Wayne

Wayne Tempus faciendi, Domine.

Jack:

I would counter that the PCA then was no different than it is today, with groups all along the spectrum.

See for one, "The TR Debates" : The “TR” Debates (1977) « - The Continuing Story -
    The public airing of those debates only rose some years after the origin of the term or movement, which can be traced to the RTS Jackson campus circa 1972-74.

Morton Smith has stated publicly that he thought he was joining an Old School denomination. On the other end of the spectrum, Dr. Ben Haden had a different view entirely. Dr. G. Aiken Taylor was somewhere in between, though perhaps a bit closer to Haden than to Smith.

In short, we were always all over the map. [i.e., within the bounds of "faithful ..., true ..., obedient ..." (thanks for the reminder to add that proviso, Scott)]

Last edited: May 10, 2012
  6. Scott1

Scott1 Puritan Board Doctor

As long as that is "Faithful to Scripture, true to the reformed faith, and obedient to the Great Commission," it's a work in progress commended for its faithfulness by our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.

7. Romans922

I'm going to have to disagree Jack. From 1970-73 (outside of RTS and their students), with the founding fathers, at least in wording, you never saw anything about 'broadly reformed' or 'broad' anything (at least to my knowledge). In fact, the language used was 'thoroughly reformed'. See here: The PCA’s Original Vision: Thoroughly Reformed or Broadly Reformed? « Johannes Weslianus

Now whether people disagreed with the phrase is irrelevant, more than 600 people signed the declaration of intent that states what they wanted was 'thoroughly reformed' including (interestingly enough) Paul Kooistra.

8. Jack K

Jack K Puritan Board Professor

Thanks. I certainly consider you more expert than I am on these matters.

9. Romans922

Also to add to what Scott brings up, The Reaffirmations of 1973 that were unanimously agreed upon by the Steering Committee of a Continuing Presbyterian Church, the very last part of it is neat,

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.