Movie Recommendations for Children?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChristopherPaul

Puritan Board Senior
I am traveling this week for work and want to update my NetFlix queue so my kids can get a good movie to watch while I am away for four days. Any recommendations?

They have seen all the Pixar movies and the Shrek's. There are some movies that I would highly advise to avoid such as Open Range and Shark Tale (blah). You can't trust ratings these days. They recently watched the Bee Movie and Enchanted, but we were all disappointed.

Has anyone seen The Ant Bully (2006)? How about Barnyard (2006)?

I am considering Bedknobs and Broomsticks (1971) or The Apple Dumpling Gang (1975). I have not watched these myself in a long time, but if I remember they seemed ok, but then again my standards have changed a lot since watching these older movies.

Mary Poppins is popular with our girls, as is Monsters Inc (but you said they've seen all the pixar which I guess means they've seen that). The Little House on the Prairie pilot 'movie' is pretty good. I think Apple Dumpling Gang would be ok, and maybe the old Absent Minded Professor (you probably would want to avoid Flubber)

I am traveling this week for work and want to update my NetFlix queue so my kids can get a good movie to watch while I am away for four days. Any recommendations?

They have seen all the Pixar movies and the Shrek's. There are some movies that I would highly advise to avoid such as Open Range and Shark Tale (blah). You can't trust ratings these days. They recently watched the Bee Movie and Enchanted, but we were all disappointed.

Has anyone seen The Ant Bully (2006)? How about Barnyard (2006)?

I am considering Bedknobs and Broomsticks (1971) or The Apple Dumpling Gang (1975). I have not watched these myself in a long time, but if I remember they seemed ok, but then again my standards have changed a lot since watching these older movies.

Apple Dumpling Gang is top notch for Kids. Most any of Don Knotts stuff is good.

I saw a 30 minute portion of Barnyard and I thought it was pretty good.

Lady & the Tramp
Beauty and the Beast
Charlotte's Web Are ALL good....

I have not seen Bedknobs & Broomsticks but would like to catch it. I really like Netflicks.

Another Good one: Swiss Family Robinson

Last edited:
Barnyard - The Original Party Animals produced by Nickelodeon, Cert PG - contains mild violence and scary scenes.

The above is very similar to a Pixar movie. My kids enjoyed it. Do NOT get Bridge to Terebitheda (it derserves several rotten tomatoes).

Anyone watched the last mimzie?

I have seen Bednobs and Broomsticks and I would be cautious about showing it children. Angela Landsbury plays a witch, a good witch (well at least she loves England and hates the Nazi's) but still I have problems with that. She also cast spells. The movie glorifies witches.

Anyone watched the last mimzie?

Yes, and I have some diverse opinions about the movie.

I short, the film may be good for 11 or 12 year olds, or even older. It is essentially a kids' version of Close Encounters of the Third Kind (the way that National Treasure was a bite-size version of The DaVinci Code), with the right hint of nerdy math and Roger Waters on the soundtrack.

There are a couple of scenes in which a husband and wife are seen in bed together - meaning they wake up in the morning, that's all.

Most of the criticism I have found online comes from the fact that the filmmakers depicted the lives of some people involved in Eastern mysticism. While I would imagine that most people here who have seen it would make a serious note of it, some web sites call the movie "pure New Age propoganda". That I do not agree with. To me, it's a little like saying "Rosemary's Baby", "The Exorcist", "Constantine", and "The Sentinal" are Catholic propoganda. They need to be watched as horror movies, just as "The Last Mimzy" should be seen as a science fiction movie. Having somewhat of an understanding as to how Roman Catholocism views things like suicide, Satan, and angels might help in the viewer's experience in watching the movies listed above, just as having even a small understanding of how the New Age movement has been influenced by Eastern religions may help in watching "The Last Mimzy".

Ooo, I just found a really nice thread on imdb.com for The Last Mimzy. I don't think there's anything I could add to what is talked about here. The various opinions stated express what I think about the movie, and then some.

All in all, I really enjoyed the movie. There are some very funny, below-the-radar jokes in there...um...like Michael Clarke-Duncan's line "What is an Intel logo doing here?" :lol: Ah, funny stuff!

Depending on the age of your kids...

A Series of Unfortunate Events Not foul...affirms the family...could be scary at points.

Secondhand Lions Some swearing.

Nanny McPhee A very imaginitive story...nothing questionable, in my opinion.

Cars

Finding Nemo

Tuck Everlasting

Nicholas Nickleby

I would consider any of these titles before Shrek...since I see nothing redeeming about the Shrek movies...

Some of these everyone will love...some of them may have more complex plots that kids younger than 7 may not follow quite as well.

Last edited:
We watched "The Water Horse" the other day and liked it.

My kids looooove the America's Funniest Home Video movies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back