Most concise and exhaustive book on church history

Status
Not open for further replies.

josiahrussell

Puritan Board Freshman
What is the Most concise and exhaustive book on church history available?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Concise and exhaustive appear to be mutually exclusive.

Ever seen Concise Reformed Dogmatics by J. Van Genderen (a textbook for my Doctrine I class at Covenant College)? To quote John Frame: "When an 800-page book has 'Concise' in its title, we expect a different perspective. Indeed, this book comes from the Netherlands, the land of Kuyper and Bavinck, where three- and four-volume theology texts are the rule."

If you are looking for a book covering a specific area of church history, then I’m sure there is something that would fit your criteria. However, if you are looking for a book that covers all of church history, then I doubt you will find one that is both concise and exhaustive. Although it is not really concise, I would still recommend Nick Needham’s 2000 Years of Christ’s Power as a great and easy to follow set on the history of the church.

Ever seen Concise Reformed Dogmatics by J. Van Genderen (a textbook for my Doctrine I class at Covenant College)? To quote John Frame: "When an 800-page book has 'Concise' in its title, we expect a different perspective. Indeed, this book comes from the Netherlands, the land of Kuyper and Bavinck, where three- and four-volume theology texts are the rule."
A biased review of the same:
https://archive.org/stream/BookRevi...BookReviewOfConciseReformedDogmatics_djvu.txt

That said, I would like to obtain the book someday, preferably in electronic form.

Nick Needham’s 2000 Years of Christ’s Power as a great and easy to follow set on the history of the church.
I second this. There are 4 volumes now up to the time of the Puritans. I think it will be 6-7 vols by the time the set is finished. It strikes a good balance. Thorough coverage but very readable. It is confessionally Reformed so I would argue it is one of the best resources on Church history.

We read Everett Ferguson in seminary. You're just not going to find a thorough, manageable, one volume church history text. Williston Walker's is the closest (it's what Gerstner used), but he is kind of liberal.

The best thing to do is to breeze through a survey volume, and then focus on the big moments (Patristic councils on God and Christ; Investiture controversy of the Middle Ages, Split between East and Rome; Thomas Aquinas, etc.).

Patristics: JND Kelly's book on Doctrines of Early Church (and also read Kelly's bios on Jerome and John Chrysostom).

And yeah I didn’t mean to write concise.... feel like an idiot right now. What I was meaning to say is I want a exhaustive and accurate resource or resources that cover all Church history

A biased review of the same:
https://archive.org/stream/BookRevi...BookReviewOfConciseReformedDogmatics_djvu.txt

That said, I would like to obtain the book someday, preferably in electronic form.

That's an interesting review. I have the book, though I have not yet read it. As the reviewer says, it would be interesting to see how much interest there will be here in North America for a dogmatics originally written for a primarily Dutch audience. Glad to know it's orthodox and confessional, though.

Dr. Ryan McGraw, by the way, told me once that he thinks it's currently the best one-volume systematics available now. (Kind of a shame that Reymond's didn't catch on as a systematics for seminarians.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back