Morning by morning they gathered it [the mana], each as much as he could eat; But When the Sun Grew Hot, it Melted. Exodus 16:21

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ed Walsh

Puritan Board Senior
Greetings, fellow Pilgrims,

Since the beginning of the world, it has been a tradition for believers to rise early in the morning to meet with God. Rising early has been likened to the Israelites rising early to gather the manna from God. If they waited till the sun rose, the manna melted. In the Scripture, we are not only commanded to seek first the kingdom of God but in many, many places, by the example of the Saints, we are invited to rise early to meet with our God.

An exhortation and a reminder to you from my Strong's Concordance.

Hebrew: שׁכם
Transliteration: shâkam
Pronunciation: shaw-kam'
Definition: A primitive root; properly to incline (the shoulder to a burden); but used only as denominative from H7926; literally to load up (on the back of man or {beast}) that {is} to start early in the morning: - ({arise} be {up} get [oneself] {up} rise up) early ({betimes}) morning.
KJV Usage: (rise up, get you, ...) early (61x), betimes (2x), misc (2x).
Occurs: 67
In verses: 64
~~~~~~~~

Genesis 19:27-8
And Abraham gat up early in the morning to the place where he stood before the LORD: and he looked toward Sodom and Gomorrah, and toward all the land of the plain, and beheld, and, lo, the smoke of the country went up as the smoke of a furnace.

Genesis 22:3
And Abraham rose up early in the morning, and saddled his ass, and took two of his young men with him, and Isaac his son, and clave the wood for the burnt offering, and rose up, and went unto the place of which God had told him.

Genesis 28:18-19
And Jacob rose up early in the morning, and took the stone that he had put for his pillows, and set it up for a pillar, and poured oil upon the top of it. And he called the name of that place Beth-el: but the name of that city was called Luz at the first.

Exodus 8:20
And the LORD said unto Moses, Rise up early in the morning, and stand before Pharaoh; lo, he cometh forth to the water; and say unto him, Thus saith the LORD, Let my people go, that they may serve me.

Exodus 8:20
And Moses wrote all the words of the LORD, and rose up early in the morning, and builded an altar under the hill, and twelve pillars, according to the twelve tribes of Israel.

Exodus 24:4
And Moses wrote all the words of the LORD, and rose up early in the morning, and builded an altar under the hill, and twelve pillars, according to the twelve tribes of Israel.

Exodus 34:4-7
And he hewed two tables of stone like unto the first; and Moses rose up early in the morning, and went up unto mount Sinai, as the LORD had commanded him, and took in his hand the two tables of stone. And the LORD descended in the cloud, and stood with him there, and proclaimed the name of the LORD. And the LORD passed by before him, and proclaimed, The LORD, The LORD God, merciful and gracious, longsuffering, and abundant in goodness and truth, keeping mercy for thousands, forgiving iniquity and transgression and sin, and that will by no means clear the guilty; visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children, and upon the children's children, unto the third and to the fourth generation.

Joshua 6:12-13
And Joshua rose early in the morning, and the priests took up the ark of the LORD. And seven priests bearing seven trumpets of rams' horns before the ark of the LORD went on continually, and blew with the trumpets: and the armed men went before them; but the rereward came after the ark of the LORD, the priests going on, and blowing with the trumpets.

1 Samuel 1:19
And they rose up in the morning early, and worshipped before the LORD, and returned, and came to their house to Ramah: and Elkanah knew Hannah his wife; and the LORD remembered her.

Psalm 57:7-10
My heart is fixed, O God, my heart is fixed: I will sing and give praise. Awake up, my glory; awake, psaltery and harp: I myself will awake early. I will praise thee, O Lord, among the people: I will sing unto thee among the nations. For thy mercy is great unto the heavens, And thy truth unto the clouds.

As the bride invites her beloved to go out with her "early to the vineyards," promising that, "There I will give you my love," Jesus invites his beloved to rise early to be with him for a time of love.

And whatever your interpretation of the Song of Solomon, this chapter is talking about some serious sex.

"I am my beloved’s, and his desire is for me."
(Song 7:10)​

Song of Solomon 7:11-13
Come, my beloved, let us go out into the fields and lodge in the villages; let us go out early to the vineyards and see whether the vines have budded, whether the grape blossoms have opened and the pomegranates are in bloom. There I will give you my love. The mandrakes give forth fragrance, and beside our doors are all choice fruits, new and old, which I have laid up for you, O my beloved.

I remember Job rising early in the morning and making sacrifices for his sons and daughters, in case they had sinned. This always touched me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back