More Blog Tinkering

Status
Not open for further replies.

bookslover

Puritan Board Doctor
Well, as you can see by my signature below, I've done more blog tinkering. Recently, I started a blog called "Devotional Notes." Now, I've started another new blog while dropping an old one.

The dropped blog was "Flashes of Thought," which reproduced quotations from Spurgeon which were originally published in a book in 1894, two years after his death. Well, I've been increasingly unhappy with the quality of the quotations in that book (no wonder it's never been reprinted, as far as I know) and decided that I can do better myself.

So, the new blog is "Spurgeon's Words." It's the last URL in the list below. I'll do my best to do the great man justice. Spurgeon is eminently quotable, and I'll try to pick the best things out of his sermons.

I hope I'm through tinkering for awhile...

Why don't you like the quotes in his book?

A lot of the quotations, I discovered over time, seemed to not have much point to them. It's as if the editor(s) (remember, the book was published two years after Spurgeon's death) would sometimes take some sermon text to quote that was "around" the point being expressed rather than including the point. Other quotations just seemed boring to me. I just came to believe that the book, over all, was badly done. It's probably just a case that people in England in 1894 had a different sensibility as to what makes a good quotation than I do in America in 2009.

So, with the new blog, I'm trying to offer an improved product, if you will.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back