Morbid Self-Inspection - B.M. Palmer

Status
Not open for further replies.

W.C. Dean

Puritan Board Sophomore
The Reverend Benjamin M. Palmer's (1818-1902) response to a woman he met while ministering who had been deeply depressed for over a decade. She confessed to him that she trusted Christ as her Savior, but did not feel any peace she knew other Christians felt, and had been morbidly inspecting her own sins and lack of comfort for about 11 years. Rev. Palmer was convinced she had true faith, but was in fact a bruised reed. This is what he told her to do (she was about to travel):

"Well, madam, you are about leaving for the north, to be gone for five months. Understand, then, that I forbid all self-examination until you return. You are not to ask yourself one single question, whether this or that feeling is right or wrong, while you are away. Abandon all reading which describes the experiences of others. Select, on the contrary, those books which hold up Christ in the beauty of his person, and in the glory of his work; and force yourself to meditate upon his essential excellence, rather than to review your own emotions in regard to him. And when you return, in the autumn, we will talker further of these matters."

When he met with her again after her trip, she revealed she had done as instructed, although it was not easy. After spending 11 years examining herself, she examined Christ in his excellencies, and now felt that she been alleviated from her dark depression, and finally felt the comfort and peace found among fellow Christians.

I selected this from Rev. Palmer's A Morbid Experience, which appeared in the Southwestern Presbyterian on May 27th, 1869.
You can find it in Banner of Truth's Selected Writings of B.M. Palmer on pages 50 and 51.

Have a blessed Sabbath.

That's wonderful. Thank you.
I'm glad it was helpful. I love practicality and practical preachers. Rev. Palmer is eminently practical, and his stories found in his Selected Writings are just amazing. Due to his advice I am seeking books on the work and excellencies of Christ. I know Owen's work is famous, but I struggle very much reading him. Do you have any recommendations?

Thanks, Brother.

[QUOTE="W.C. Dean, post: 1254633, member: 11260"

I selected this from Rev. Palmer's A Morbid Experience, which appeared in the Southwestern Presbyterian on May 27th, 1869.
You can find it in Banner of Truth's Selected Writings of B.M. Palmer on pages 50 and 51.

Have a blessed Sabbath.
[/QUOTE]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back