Modes of confessional subscription

Status
Not open for further replies.

Myshkin

Puritan Board Freshman
I have been absent for awhile, but I needed some help. So I searched the PB and nothing came up, so I'll ask:

Without resorting to arguments for the merits/demerits of each view, would someone mind taking the time to define the different modes of confessional subscription? Who are some proponents of each? What is an example of each regarding taking exceptions? I know a little bit about the differences, but would like some more info. Thank you for your help.

Strict = ?
Loose = ?
System = ?
Good Faith = ?

[Edited on 8-29-2006 by RAS]

Thanks Chris/Mr. Poe.

I gather from your blog that was the strict position? And it is defined by adhering to the confessions according to the meaning of the original langauge, their original intent, and how they have historically been held since their formation. Meanwhile, what is not required is a perfect agreement over details of explanation, etc. Is this correct?

Allan, do you have the materials from the PCA GA in 2001 (?) There are Mp3s of the various positions from David Coffin, Joey Pipa, Bryan Chappel and Tim Keller.

That would be most useful for you.

EDIT: I have added a zip folder of the PDFs associated with that discussion.

[Edited on 8/30/2006 by fredtgreco]

I have been absent for awhile, but I needed some help. So I searched the PB and nothing came up, so I'll ask:

Without resorting to arguments for the merits/demerits of each view, would someone mind taking the time to define the different modes of confessional subscription? Who are some proponents of each? What is an example of each regarding taking exceptions? I know a little bit about the differences, but would like some more info. Thank you for your help.

Strict = ?
Loose = ?
System = ?
Good Faith = ?

[Edited on 8-29-2006 by RAS]

I have the same question, thanks for creating a thread, allow me to resurrect it.

:detective:

Strict = ?
Loose = ?
System = ?
Good Faith = ?

Why not use the classic distinction between quia or quatenus, that is, one subscribes a/the confession because they agree with Scripture or in so far as they agree with Scripture?

The former was the position of the Contra-Remonstrants (orthodox Reformed) and the latter was the position of the Remonstrants (Arminians) before the Synod of Dort.

Allan, do you have the materials from the PCA GA in 2001 (?) There are Mp3s of the various positions from David Coffin, Joey Pipa, Bryan Chappel and Tim Keller.

That would be most useful for you.

EDIT: I have added a zip folder of the PDFs associated with that discussion.

[Edited on 8/30/2006 by fredtgreco]
Hi Fred,

Sorry to be thick and slow. Where are these PDFs? I had all of them, but lost some of them.

Thanks,

rsc

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back