Modern Hebrew

Discussion in 'Languages' started by Jake, May 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jake

Jake Puritan Board Junior

How much does Modern Hebrew relate to Biblical Hebrew? I am considering studying Modern Hebrew at a public university (for at least 2 semesters) to meet a non-European language requirement for my major. I want to know if this could be the foundation for studying (most of) the Old testament in its original tongue. From what I understand of Hebrew's history, the two should be closely related (after all, modern Hebrew is quite young!), but I would like some input from those who have studied the language.

:book2:

2. O'GodHowGreatThouArt

O'GodHowGreatThouArt Puritan Board Sophomore

They have absolutely nothing to do with each other (no joke).

3. jogri17

jogri17 Puritan Board Junior

The one advantage is that if you do so, you will be able to read Hebrew without vowel points from what I was told from my Professor. He took Biblical Hebrew, then studied Hebrew in Israel for 6 months.

Perhaps this article will be of some use?

4. Elimelek

Elimelek Puritan Board Freshman

Dear Jake

You will be able to read ancient Hebrew with a knowledge of Ivrit. Ivrit is however based on Rabbinic Hebrew which was influenced strongly by Aramaic. Furthermore it consists of a lot of Arabic loanwords. I think ancient Hebrew has some word forms that you won't get in Ivrit. Ivrit could be called a creole of ancient Hebrew, which means that while related, it is simplified.

I was able to learn Ivrit after studying Rabbinic Hebrew as a step away from Biblical Hebrew. Unfortunately, I haven't kept up my Ivrit, but I do read the Old Testament in Hebrew and Aramaic.

Kind regards

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.