Missional Wear

Status
Not open for further replies.

reinink

Puritan Board Freshman
Being new to this forum, I thought I would share something that I don't think has been shared before. That is Missional Wear (missionalwear.com), a website dedicated to selling Reformed theology apparel and other gifts. The designs are really well done...stuff you might actually want to wear! Anyone here ever bought stuff from this website?

beard-slide-large.jpg

Being new to this forum, I thought I would share something that I don't think has been shared before. That is Missional Wear (missionalwear.com), a website dedicated to selling Reformed theology apparel and other gifts. The designs are really well done...stuff you might actually want to wear! Anyone here ever bought stuff from this website?

beard-slide-large.jpg
A T-shirt about growing a beard?

How can clothing be missional? I'm not trying to cause a fuss, but I haven't seen that adjective paired with that noun before.

I believe the thinking is to have unique clothing which spurs interest and generates conversation. From their website:

"Missional Wear began in 2010, with the aim of blending theology with apparel in order to create a truly unique product. Our desire is simple. Create quality products that our customers both enjoy and help engage in conversations with unbelievers, creating missional opportunites to share the Gospel."

How can clothing be missional? I'm not trying to cause a fuss, but I haven't seen that adjective paired with that noun before.
Tom,

The shirt I purchased has the John Calvin quote on it regarding our hearts being a factory of idols. When I have worn the shirt in public, it has served to spark some good conversations. Now I am not saying that this is me fulfilling the GM, but I just wanted to provide a small example that seems to fit within the company's own understanding.

We have a few of their products in our house. My son has a Calvin/Spurgeon decal that adorns the cover of his laptop computer. And I have a Five Solas mug, a gift from the staff at church. The decal still looks sharp after a year of abuse, sliding in and out of backpacks. And the mug is my favorite; it looks sharp and holds a lot of coffee.

My wife and I are graphic designers and artists. I used to design and sell t-shirts. I've been talking to her about a similar concept highlighting Puritans, Patristics, and Reformers. I guess I've been beaten to the punch. Either way, they have some awesome stuff. I will be returning ordering some stuff. The "Resolutions" of Jonathan Edwards poster is going to look great in my office. Thanks for sharing!

We even worked on a lantern concept and a "Post Tenebras Lux" idea!
https://www.missionalwear.com/post-tenebras-lux-lantern-tee

And an "ampersand" design!
https://www.missionalwear.com/five-solas-ampersand-tee

Last edited:
If I wore the CHS Beard (out of context) shirt, the "mission" would be to plead with folks not to think beardolatry is a hallmark of Christianity.
Wouldn't that still accomplish the goal....haha jk

Welcome, Jonathan.

I like that there is a choice to put a logo on the back side. I am seriously thinking about ordering a couple tees for the grandkids. Absolutely love the strong visual message of the skeleton and the lantern on post tenebras lux.

Tom,

The shirt I purchased has the John Calvin quote on it regarding our hearts being a factory of idols. When I have worn the shirt in public, it has served to spark some good conversations. Now I am not saying that this is me fulfilling the GM, but I just wanted to provide a small example that seems to fit within the company's own understanding.
Interesting... Would be an upgrade from my Johnny Cash tee

Not so keen on their shirts - and wish they would come out with some more hats. I do like their stickers - which I get and stick all over my hyrdro-flask. As a coach and an athlete I carry the thing with me just about everywhere I go and often get asked - "who is that guy on your water bottle?"

Not so keen on their shirts - and wish they would come out with some more hats. I do like their stickers - which I get and stick all over my hyrdro-flask. As a coach and an athlete I carry the thing with me just about everywhere I go and often get asked - "who is that guy on your water bottle?"

We do the same thing with water bottles. I have them on my Nalgene bottles I use backpacking.

Unfortunately, I think my beard (my picture to the left is rather old) would obscure much of the Spurgeon quote.

I wish I could recall where I got this shirt (have it in green and blue, too):

AMRCalvinistT-Shirt.jpg

Quite the conversation starter in doctor's offices, grocery lines, and the mall. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back