Minutes and Papers of the Westminster Assembly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryan J. Ross

Puritan Board Freshman
I am not asking anyone to contribute to this fundraising campaign (which may violate a rule), but I do want to make myself available as a resource to those on this board when the fundraiser is complete.

Please, contact me to look into parts/sections for you. I recently discovered that the text has limited accessibility to institutional users of Oxford Scholarly Editions Online, not to mention being housed at only a few (mostly theological) libraries.

Why this project isn't digitized as text searchable to the general public is beyond me. I simply want to help and get the set for research projects.

https://www.gofundme.com/research-on-westminster-assembly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I sure hope you are getting close given the amount raised so far! I remember going ouch both for the original huge dissertation in 7 volumes (only 13 sets came to the US, all to libraries except for a set to Ligon Duncan, and yours truly); and then when the Oxford came out I paid only slightly more. If you are going to study the Westminster Assembly, you really cannot not make use of this set. Searchable text would be a big improvement; the dissertation had minimal indexing and the Oxford while light-years better, is not sufficient. Why does the image look so blocky as far as the Oxford volumes on your fundme page? See attach of the Oxford I have compared to the original dissertation.

Attachments

• CVDeditions1.jpg
    CVDeditions1.jpg
    460.1 KB · Views: 20
I sure hope you are getting close given the amount raised so far! I remember going ouch both for the original huge dissertation in 7 volumes (only 13 sets came to the US, all to libraries except for a set to Ligon Duncan, and yours truly); and then when the Oxford came out I paid only slightly more. If you are going to study the Westminster Assembly, you really cannot not make use of this set. Searchable text would be a big improvement; the dissertation had minimal indexing and the Oxford while light-years better, is not sufficient. Why does the image look so blocky as far as the Oxford volumes on your fundme page? See attach of the Oxford I have compared to the original dissertation.

Let's get the word out. I've asked Rev. Van Dixhoorn for permission, if he can get it from OUP. The project would be an amazing aid to the church and historical projects. If I can raise the money, I'll do the project for free.

The marketing on these volumes really doesn't make any sense. When I discovered I didn't have institutional access, I was shocked.

If you think you can get the permissions, we could jointly do it. The distribution of these sets benefit very few people in the U.S.

Oh, and the picture is from OUP.

Permission to do what exactly? What did you propose to Chad and what is he asking OUP permission to do?

Permission to do what exactly? What did you propose to Chad and what is he asking OUP permission to do?

Create text searchable format. I'm going to do it privately, help people with sections, etc., but permission to do it publicly is needed for the general public.

As one who writes history, I want to share the value, but I can't publish a text searchable format. I'm going to do it for ease of access and then donate the set, but I'd prefer OUP approve another format for public use and/or public purchase.

You have Chad's permission for the private? But you are awaiting OUP? Do you have text files from Chad?
I sure agree it would be preferable of OUP released an etext as that would be more official and would likely have mainstream access points.

You have Chad's permission for the private? But you are awaiting OUP? Do you have text files from Chad?
I sure agree it would be preferable of OUP released an etext as that would be more official and would likely have mainstream access points.

No, I don't yet have his permission. I'm permitted to reproduce my own copy and reference. Others are permitted to ask for sections with citation. I'm going to re-write the copies. I doubt CVD has rights to share the text files without permission. I asked him if he'd be able to secure OUP's permission to make large sections text searchable.

I'm still doing it for myself, either way, and offering my set as a reference for anyone who wants citations for research projects. There's also a few articles I've wanted to write since grad school on English dissenters and changing attitudes toward psalmody after Cromwell.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back