Ministers Must Fight Against the Growth and Spreading of Heresy

Status
Not open for further replies.

C. Matthew McMahon

Christian Preacher
When it comes to ministers fighting against heresy (which is part of their office cf. Titus 1:9), and that they do not do it as they should to protect the church, Thomas Hodges says,

"...alas, here is the sad root of this misery, that either the ministers are ignorant,[1] and unable to maintain the truth, confute and stop the mouths of gainsayers; or they are wicked and scandalous, like Eli’s sons, whose profane and ungodly courses lose all repute to the truth, making the things of God, (by those who measure truth by the lives and carriages of them that maintain it), to be abandoned and abhorred.[2] If neither of these, yet perhaps they are careless, negligent, and inadvertent, not heeding how truth thrives, or how error spreads,[3] as if to them it were of very small or no concern. In point of benefit they are greedy dogs, zealous enough for their profit,[4] looking after that from every quarter; but in point of duty they lack heart,[5] the fire of zeal for God’s glory is not in them, therefore they love their ease, to sleep, slumber, and take their rest; by which they give not only an opportunity to the evil one to sow his tares, but to those tares to take root and prosper."

[1] Isaiah 56:10.

[2] 1 Samuel 2:13.

[3] Revelation 2:20.

[4] Isaiah 56:11.

[5] Revelation 3:15.

"The Growth and Spreading of Heresy, (54)."

Reading something like this upsets me brother. Not because it's false but because it's true and a great number of reformed ministers just turn their head the other way while it goes on and spreads like cancer.

A friend of mine right now is in a confessional church where the pastors dont hold to the confession, and my friend does, and they are starting to go down disciplinary steps because he is a subscriptionist. Figure that out.

People who stand for the truth in a confessional church are being persecuted. Its terrible. Ministers should be upholding the truth, not looking out for their paycheck. They should be the "cure of souls".

A friend of mine right now is in a confessional church where the pastors dont hold to the confession, and my friend does, and they are starting to go down disciplinary steps because he is a subscriptionist. Figure that out.

People who stand for the truth in a confessional church are being persecuted. Its terrible. Ministers should be upholding the truth, not looking out for their paycheck. They should be the "cure of souls".

The Shepherds eating sheep.....horrifying. I also know someone who is being ostracized because of our confessions.

So.....they want him to retract his view on EP, or find another church. Their denominational confession is the WCF. Well, not "really."

But, I'm curious, and saddened, to see what they will do to him and his family.

They'll have to "come up" with charges of some sort to enact some kind of judicial discipline.

It's disgusting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back