Minister adopted RPW and EP through my book

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reformed Covenanter

Cancelled Commissioner
Recently at Dromara, a minister in the Presbyterian Church in Ireland (PCI) has moved into our manse while he undertakes a years studying at the Reformed Presbyterian Church of Ireland's Theological College (RTC) before entering our ministry.

Previously the minister had served the Lord in a number of congregations in Co. Fermanagh, but had come into contact with the RPCI through some outreach work in Enniskillen; a while later he purchased my book from John Gowan Books (an man who sells antiquarian, new and second hand books (Joel Beeke's even been over looking at his antiquarian stuff). Taking the copy on holidays (or should that be vacation ;)) with him, he became convinced of a more rigorous view of the RPW, exclusive psalmody and the non-usage of musical instruments.

While I knew he had read it, I did not know that the Lord had used this work in such a way. But a couple of weeks ago I called into the manse for a visit and to borrow a book. Over coffee he asked me how had the book been received? I said "pretty well, though I don't believe it has revolutionized anybody's thinking", to which he responded that it was what convinced him of EP etc.

I say all this not to glory in my own strength, but to encourage those who are thinking of writing, but are also wondering if there is really much point or if it is worth the effort? Yet, we must always remember that the Lord uses our feeble efforts for His own glory and we never know what the Lord may be pleased to do through us for the glory of His own great name.

Last edited:
Daniel:
That is good news.
What a humbling thing it is for a minister to admit that he has been in error and repent. Especially learning this from the pen of a student! I also hope that my writing has impacts for the kingdom. May God bless all who labor in his vineyard. :cheers:

Daniel:
That is good news.
What a humbling thing it is for a minister to admit that he has been in error and repent. Especially learning this from the pen of a student! I also hope that my writing has impacts for the kingdom. May God bless all who labor in his vineyard. :cheers:

Thanks Nate; I had never really thought of the point you made about a minister learning from a student before:think:. It is a very humbling thought. If it was the other way round, I don't think I would like some University student seeking to "correct" my practice.

That is good news.

Yes, it is a blessing to see the literature available on this subject these days.

There certainly is not much on the issue; that is why I think self-publishing is important. As just about every major Reformed publisher today is not exclusive psalmody, the only way for us to get our stuff out is to go it alone. While it would be nice to have the help and accountability of a publisher, we are still accountable to our elders (if we say anything heretical), and so it seems we have no other choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back