Microwave Ovens

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yvonne, have you read that whole site? Because it also says this:

The use of artificial microwave transmissions for subliminal psychological control, a.k.a. "brainwashing", has also been proven. We're attempting to obtain copies of the 1970's Russian research documents and results written by Drs. Luria and Perov specifying their clinical experiments in this area.

I might take it with a grain of salt, especially if they're relying on Russian research from the 70s

Yes, actually I did see several things in the article that I don't agree with...... I should have mentioned that before but I was in a rush. However, I do believe they do a pretty decent job of explaining the actual process in simple terms.

You'd have to ask yourself how is it that the surrounding molecules remain unchanged when the water molecules are being activated? If the majority of food is made up of h2o, then it is being changed at a molecular level when the water molecules are oscillating. The electromagnetic waves used in microwaves are the the same as used in radars. It may seem safe, but I personally just don't trust the whole premise behind it. I do use them from time to time....but I definitely don't rely on them!

Are you suggesting that Pravda might run a story that isn't completely accurate?

Nyet, Tovarisch. You may be a candidate for re-education, should you choose not to recant such a belief.

We try not to use our microwave much. We've not yet purchased the tin foil hats, and we sure don't reheat stuff in plastic, but we're still marginally within the limits of 'normal' behavior.

Carcinogens aren't good, but they also aren't necessarily bad when properly handled by our bodies. There are many, many "natural" carcinogens and toxins in fresh uncooked food that the body handles quite well; and many unnatural carcinogens (for example cigarette smoke) that take decades of high concentration (first hand inhaled into lungs) exposure to override natural ability to eliminate cancerous cells and cause clinical cancer. Some opinion here seems to lean toward the hypothesis that the "molecular changes" in food caused by heating water molecules via microwave irradiation are more harmful than the molecular changes in food caused by ranges, ovens, and toasters; I suspect this is very dubious and extremely hard to prove. Microwave ovens have tied in well with one of the most important innovations in food borne disease prevention: the refrigerator; they also tend to reduce our American penchant for wasting things like excess food.

I know. I'll just throw out my microwave oven, hook up a 10,000 watt lineal amplifier to a quad, devise a dumbwaiter system from the kitchen to the front of my antenna, insert my food, hoist it up, hold down the dash paddle on my Vibroplex, and cook my lunch.

We have a microwave oven, but don't use it much. My husband works with scientists who won't have them in the house, and they recommend that you don't stand closer than three feet when they are running. Seems like good advice to me.

Umm... hey guys? Regular ovens change the molecular structure of food too. That's how cooking works!

Bread baking, sugar caramelizing, etc. are all examples of a food's molecular structure changing. Relatively few people have concerns about that kind of change (though admittedly there are some really weird people out there).

And also the evidence linking cell phones with brain tumors is hardly "beyond question". There is practically no unanimity on the subject from one expert to another. There was an excellent article in the IEEE "Spectrum" magazine just last month (I think) on that subject.

In conclusion, then, I'm much more worried about accidentally creating a black hole with my microwave than irradiating myself to death. And you would be too, if you'd ever seen my lab. :stirpot:

---------- Post added at 01:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:42 PM ----------

I know. I'll just throw out my microwave oven, hook up a 10,000 watt lineal amplifier to a quad, devise a dumbwaiter system from the kitchen to the front of my antenna, insert my food, hoist it up, hold down the dash paddle on my Vibroplex, and cook my lunch.

Nice. Very nice.

I quit using my microwave once I discovered they were invented by Arminians. I got scared because I thought I was choosing how long to cook popcorn until I realized it was the popcorn making that decision and I was just merely acting upon it's request. :lol:

We have a microwave oven, but don't use it much. My husband works with scientists who won't have them in the house, and they recommend that you don't stand closer than three feet when they are running. Seems like good advice to me.

Interesting. My scientist colleagues and I study how changes in molecules cause cancer. We all use our microwaves daily to make various reagents - I can't think of one scientist in my field who is afraid of the nuke boxes.

The use of artificial microwave transmissions for subliminal psychological control, a.k.a. "brainwashing", has also been proven. We're attempting to obtain copies of the 1970's Russian research documents and results written by Drs. Luria and Perov specifying their clinical experiments in this area.

I became a calvinist shortly after I quit using a microwave.

I became a calvinist shortly after I quit using a microwave.

Now that you mention it, it was shortly after the microwave at school started acting up that I became a Calvinist...

I don't use a microwave often because food cooked on the stovetop/in the oven/in the crockpot tastes better. And water boils faster in the teapot on the stove than it does in the microwave.

I did, however, teach my five-year-old how to operate the microwave to warm up my coffee.

I don't use a microwave often because food cooked on the stovetop/in the oven/in the crockpot tastes better. And water boils faster in the teapot on the stove than it does in the microwave.

I did, however, teach my five-year-old how to operate the microwave to warm up my coffee.

HAHAHAHAHAHA. Love it.

This reminds me of how my mother discovered that my youngest brother loved to play with a toy vaccum. She quickly taught him how to use the real one.

The advent of the microwave was actually accidentally discovered. When a high power radar unit was being tested, a large amount of dead birds were discovered on the ground. Upon examination, it was noticed they were cooked. At approximately 3.2 GHz (if memory serves me....some sites list 2.45), water is excited and heats up. Since most food is water based......you get my drift. The first mass produced microwave oven was called the "RadarRange" (I think Amana was the distributor). I worked on defense systems in the 80's & 90's and none of the geeks refuted this. In college (in the early 80's) we actually put loose popcorn kernels at the end of a piece of waveguide, and Orville Redenbacher's folly was simulated :) There is no residual radiation (like after a nuclear event) in your food. The heat is electronically applied to the food rather than from fire underneath.

Last edited:
The advent of the microwave was actually accidentally discovered. When a high power radar unit was being tested, a large amount of dead birds were discovered on the ground. Upon examination, it was noticed they were cooked. At approximately 3.2 GHz (if memory serves me....some sites list 2.45), water is excited and heats up. Since most food is water based......you get my drift. The first mass produced microwave oven was called the "RadarRange" (I think Amana was the distributor). I worked on defense systems in the 80's & 90's and none of the geeks refuted this. In college (in the early 80's) we actually put loose popcorn kernels at the end of a piece of waveguide, and Orville Redenbacher's folly was simulated :) There is no residual radiation (like after a nuclear event) in your food. The heat is electronically applied to the food rather than from fire underneath.

I had always heard the candy bar story. Microwave Oven The bird story is new for me.

Absent a lead apron, always crouch protectively behind the farthest counter in the kitchen.

Well,this has been,if anything,a fun thread.I was hoping,one day I would post a great thread,the hottest thread of the bunch,and perhaps,the conversations would be deep,the issues would be powerful,and I get stuck with the most popular thread on the level with the "Fat guy gets his head stuck in toliet" (not a real thread-don't try this at home!)

Needless to say the humor here is precious and I thank all my PB friends for contributing,I'm not in the least worried about the potential problems with Microwave Ovens,but I'm blessed with some good laughs and lighthearted encouragement-Thanks to all

I had always heard the candy bar story. Microwave Oven The bird story is new for me.

I worked for Raytheon's competition, so the conception stories may run parallel or vary depending on the old school engineers you eat lunch with :)

Remind me to tell you about the butter bar with a general's swagger who found himself being tracked by the radar dish on F-15 that was in the shop for repair. . . .

Remind me to tell you about the butter bar with a general's swagger who found himself being tracked by the radar dish on F-15 that was in the shop for repair. . . .

Brother Lawrence,

Please tell us about the butter bar with a general's swagger who found himself being tracked by the radar dish on F-15 that was in the shop for repair.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back