Metrical Psalters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wynteriii

Puritan Board Freshman
As I begin my study of psalm singing and the practice of it, I am looking for Metrical Psalters. I have found a nice TBS Windsor Bible with Metrical Psalms but I can't tell whether they give the info of whether the psalm is CM or anything else. So the first question would be what you guys think is the best Bible w/ metrical Psalter that is not just words.

The next questions relates to new translations, Is it a surprise that the ESV has not made their own psalter or is it just a sign of how little people view the psalms as songs? What do you guys recommend for a more modern psalter?

If you have a TBS Bible with Psalms in the back it is pretty easy to determine whether it is common meter. If there is only one version of the Psalm then it is common meter. If there are two then one of the two is common meter. After a couple of lines with a common meter tune it will be easy to determine which one is common. I am not aware of any Bibles other than TBS Bibles that have a Psalter in the back. All TBS Bibles will have the 1650 Scottish Psalter which is words only. Someone correct me if I am wrong about that.

As far as a modern Psalter, I would get the Book of Psalms for Worship published by Crown and Covenant.

As John said, the TBS Bible with metrical psalms is the 1650 Scottish psalter, as such you will have at least one version of each psalm in common meter. The Windsor text is beautiful and it's a beautiful Bible. I bought mine off of 4Gospel.com for $25.60, smokin' deal! As far as I know, TBS is the only ones who sell Bibles with a form of metrical psalms included. However, if you plan on singing from this a lot, one of the posters here recommended against this as the pages eventually fall out from use.

Common meter is fairly easy to tell. Count syllables. If there are eight for the first line and six for the second line, it's probably common meter.

If you're looking at metrical psalters in general, I've written up a number of reviews (in the a capella psalmody subforum of the Worship forum) that might at least give you an idea as to what psalters are available for purchase today.

Do you have an idea of what you are looking for?

I'm interested in all of it. I guess it would be best to start with the 1650 Psalter but I would like to have one using modern English or whatever you would call the ESV translation.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk 4

"Amazing Grace" and "I sing the Mighty Power of God" for starters (the latter is CMD).

Going over the post again and read the post that did not reccomend the windor Bible w/ Metrical Psalms because of the page issues.

Can you guys reccomended a Bible with Metrical Psalms

Going over the post again and read the post that did not reccomend the windor Bible w/ Metrical Psalms because of the page issues.

Can you guys reccomended a Bible with Metrical Psalms

I have the Windsor w/Psalms and I have not yet experienced this issue with fairly regular use. Otherwise, the Royal Ruby w/Psalms from TBS is the perfect pocket bible/psalter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back