Men/women proportion attendance at church

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think there are too many variables to consider when trying to understand the demographics of a local church.

There are more women than men in the world, and there are typically female elderly widows as women tend to outlive men. In addition, there does seem to be the pattern of some women who are saved yet there husbands are not. These are the factors in my opinion.

I tend to notice more women in charismatic churches. More men in legalistic churches like judaizers.

The real measure is how many working class men attend because they have a lower tolerance for nonsense and effeminate men. And pulpits are full of both.

I realize this might sound slightly "woke," but it's actually biblical...

We should not be surprised if there are somewhat more women in the church than men. Throughout the world, women have historically been more likely to be disregarded as unimportant. But God's heart is especially drawn to those who are castoffs in the world. It's the nature of the gospel:

"It was not because you were more in number than any other people that the LORD set his love on you and chose you, for you were the fewest of all peoples" (Deuteronomy 7:7).​
"He has brought down the mighty from their thrones and exalted those of humble estate; he has filled the hungry with good things, and the rich he has sent away empty" (Luke 1:52-53).​
"For consider your calling, brothers: not many of you were wise according to worldly standards, not many were powerful, not many were of noble birth. But God chose what is foolish in the world to shame the wise; God chose what is weak in the world to shame the strong; God chose what is low and despised in the world, even things that are not, to bring to nothing things that are, so that no human being might boast in the presence of God" (1 Corinthians 1:26-29).​

So, we also should not be surprised if our churches tend to have somewhat more poor people than rich ones, or more from lower social classes, or more struggling immigrants, etc. Nor should we be surprised if our missionary efforts tend to bear more fruit in poor nations than in rich ones. Part of the glory of the gospel is that it brings the outcasts of the world into the kingdom of God.

Of course, another part of the gospel's glory is that even proud and noble people are humbled under God's grace, so that we should not make too much of the whole marginalized-groups thing. A healthy church will consist of all types of people from many different backgrounds, and these differences will tend to disappear in Christ. A church that is heavily skewed either male or female would concern me, and I would wonder if the gospel message of grace for everyone was being replaced with some sort of gender-based pandering. But a slightly female majority is pretty commonplace, and it may even be a sign that the gospel of grace to the humble is being preached faithfully.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back