Men should wear beards...according to this guy.

Discussion in 'The Pilgrims Progress' started by Rufus, May 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rufus

Rufus Puritan Board Junior

[video=youtube;xVZCc-hh2vw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVZCc-hh2vw&feature=related[/video]

Okay I found that while researching Agrarianism, is there not a problem with this? He claims shaving is a recent thing because of homosexuals but, there are plenty of portraits of people (including preachers), beardless prior to homosexuality being excepted at all in society. Also an Arminian (at least, I think so because of there user name) commented that Leviticus 19 is in reference to temple priests, and it falls under legalism.

Frankly, it just reminds me of the Taliban who will kill you if you don't have a beard.

2. VictorBravo

VictorBravo Administrator Staff Member

There are many foolish things to be found on the internet. I don't think this one is worth even worrying about.

Shaving is cultural. Joseph shaved before he met Pharoah. Owen was clean-shaven, Dabney had an amazing beard. I like them both, by the way.

3. AThornquist

AThornquist Puritan Board Doctor

There are some men who aren't entirely attractive with a beard. Fortunately, I'm not one of them.

4. Backwoods Presbyterian

Backwoods Presbyterian Puritan Board Doctor

:ditto:

I grow my beard out because the top of my head is a quitter and it needs to see what its job looks like.

5. VictorBravo

VictorBravo Administrator Staff Member

I used to be very dashing in a beard:

[​IMG]

6. Herald

Herald Moderator Staff Member

Vic, I've seen that puss as a mug shot in the post office. I love ya, bro, but I can really use that reward. Sorry.

7. Bill The Baptist

Bill The Baptist Puritan Board Senior

When did they let the Unabomber out?

8. LawrenceU

LawrenceU Puritan Board Doctor

Just because a man has a decent looking set of books to use as a backdrop doesn't mean he is astute. This man couldn't reason his way out of a wet paper sack.

(By the way, I wish homosexuality were 'excepted' in our culture. Sorry, couldn't resist. I'm pretty sure you meant accepted.)

Last edited: May 8, 2011
  9. PuritanCovenanter

PuritanCovenanter Moderator Staff Member

If you grow a beard you must get some horns!

10. Sonny

Sonny Puritan Board Sophomore

Hair grows on the head too, why does he have a crew cut?

11. Sonny

Sonny Puritan Board Sophomore

12. Rufus

Crewcuts are awesome, I have one :duh:

13. Peairtach

Peairtach Puritan Board Doctor

There have been a few threads on beard/s
    http://www.puritanboard.com/google....2&sa.y=15&siteurl=www.puritanboard.com%2F#916

This shows the importance of understanding and learning from OT law carefully and with wisdom and in an appropriate way for the New Covenant era lest we be found to be making Christianity and Christ out to be foolishness by e.g. going around measuring people's beards - if they have them - or taking other positions that don't properly account for redemptive historical and other changes.

At what point in Systematics should the sadly neglected locus of Hairology be placed? :lol:

Grow more holy along with your beard.:cool:

Last edited: May 8, 2011
  14. Marrow Man

Marrow Man Drunk with Powder

If I am not confusing names, I believe I was once given a book written by Michael Bunker. He was also against things like paying preachers. There were some other odd views in the book, which I admittedly skimmed. But the paying preachers thing stuck with me because the guy who gave it to me was in a group that was interested in forming a core group for a church plant. Go figure. That didn't work out too well. The guy was nice enough (very nice in fact), but he was also a 9/11 Truther.

15. Marrow Man

:rofl:

Obviously, under the doctrine of man!

16. Semper Fidelis

Semper Fidelis 2 Timothy 2:24-25 Staff Member

I love how many people attribute things to the advent of modernism that occurred well before modernism. All somebody has to say is "X occurred because of our modern culture, so Y is true..." to sustain so many lame arguments.

17. Marrow Man

It looks like he has Calvin's commentaries on his bookshelf, so he is probably ok.

18. JM

JM Puritan Board Professor

[video=youtube;n2FtI0UM6W8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2FtI0UM6W8&feature=related[/video]

19. Rufus

If only Calvin had shaved, just once, otherwise Calvins beard is one of the better ones out there.

20. Marrow Man

A serious question: is he also a kinist?

21. JM

[video=youtube;SpcT6eyfGkk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SpcT6eyfGkk&feature=related[/video]

22. AThornquist

AThornquist Puritan Board Doctor

Bunker's beard is kind of funky.

23. Rufus

24. Andres

Andres Puritan Board Doctor

one of his point's is that men should grow beards so we can tell them apart from women...buddy if you can't tell a woman apart from a man unless he has a beard, you've got bigger problems to worry about.

25. JM

"Dude looks like a lady..."

26. Peairtach

Peairtach Puritan Board Doctor

I suppose every sound brother geezer is entitled to at least one whacky idea. I probably have a few unrecognised ones myself.:D

He's rounded off the hair on his temples but refuses to trim his beard.

Tim
    Is that someone who believes true Christians should only marry their first cousins?

27. Jeffriesw

Jeffriesw Puritan Board Freshman

:ditto: That's what I'm Screamin!

28. Philip

Philip Puritan Board Graduate

In the discussion of the glorified body, obviously: just where Augustine placed it.

29. seajayrice

seajayrice Puritan Board Sophomore

Must we itch for eternity?

30. Grillsy

Grillsy Puritan Board Junior

I was wondering the same thing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.