Mediatorial Dominion, Rutherford, Gillespie, Legitimacy of Gov't

Status
Not open for further replies.

Solparvus

Puritan Board Senior
You probably knew by the title that this was going to be an interesting thread. I imagine too that in our political climate people are going to start asking questions about topics addressed in this post anyway.

I suppose inevitably this will end with some debate in mediatorial dominion, but I'll put up with it ready enough.

So far as I understand mediatorial dominion, here's what I've got down, and I subscribe to by Scripture: Christ in reward for His obedience was given as the God-man all authority in heaven and in earth, meaning He has become the appointed ruler of all things in heaven and in earth, including nations. According to Mt 28 this was given to Him. So government which is ordained of God in nature is now governed by God through the God-man, and all other things too. Christ rules all things for the good of the church (Ephesians 1), and without this dominion He would not have authority to give eternal life to the elect (Jn 17:2). All nations have a duty to covenant with Christ ("kiss the Son" per Psalm 2), meaning to swear allegiance, and pattern their laws after God's law. I agree.

Been browsing some old threads, and I discover that Rutherford and Gillespie did not hold to the doctrine of mediatorial dominion. First question, what did they hold to instead? I get the impression that perhaps they held a similar view. How is theirs distinct?

Another question has come up in this discussion of the legitimacy of a government that does not acknowledge Christ, or is founded on anti-Christian principles. So that would make, say, Islamic governments to be illegitimate since the very constitution of their government is against Christ. By default the Islamic government is a terror to good, they as inferior magistrates are acting against their supreme magistrate Christ, thus a Sharia government threatens its own ability to claim obedience for conscience sake. This would basically mean the so-called authority of an Islamic government to be null and void, and a Christian obeys for other reasons that do not draw from the authority of the government itself.

For example, a Christian living under Sharia law won't abstain from thievery because there's a civil law against it and because the magistracy enforces it, but because it is God's law he does not steal--but he does not obey the Islamic government for conscience sake. So he gives no countenance at all to the sham authority of an Islamic government. Though, in a lawful government there would be two reasons to abstain: one is because God condemns it, and because he is disobeying a legitimate minister of God who does rule to reward good and terrorize evil, and thus must obey that government for conscience sake. This seems to be the view of William Symington and Samuel Wylie.

There's an advantage to that view: it puts a real, definite border around the authority of a government, and it tells the government that God's law is the strict rule, and that they have no more authority than what they receive from God by His law. Anything beyond is wicked. The enforcement of God's law then becomes the substance of terrorizing evildoers and rewarding the good. Also, in such a view the Christian's conscience is not bound to tyranny, and a Christian should not fear that God judges him a sinner for not submitting to tyrannical laws.

But how does a Christian act in that kind of society? If he lives under an illegitimate government, then no law of the country is binding on him--not even the speed limit. I would imagine a real Christian will consider what he will do in light of maintaining peace with his neighbors, like Christ paying a tax which he was not subject to. So for the speed limit, he might still obey it simply for keeping peace And safety. What ultimately checks such a view from anarchy? Would it be Christ and the temple tax?

One thought I have is of 1 Peter 2. The submission in this passage is "for the Lord's sake", not necessarily the government's; he ropes in the activities of the government by the same qualifications as Paul (terror to evil, rewarder of good), and even when living under an oppressive government, the Christian accounts for what the governors and common people are going to think of his actions. So for example, a Christian might say the tax rates are exorbitant and unjust, and may argue that he is really being robbed, yet for the sake of testimony before governors and neighbors (and not because that government really binds him), he'll calculate and pay his taxes just as the government expects he would. In this way, a Christian "puts to silence the ignorance of foolish men", acts as one who is free in v. 16, acts as a servant of God by keeping a good name for his Lord, and is far from using his freedom as a cloak for maliciousness.

Last question, is the evaluation of the legitimacy of a government part-and-parcel of mediatorial dominion?

Thoughts all welcome.

Another question has come up in this discussion of the legitimacy of a government that does not acknowledge Christ, or is founded on anti-Christian principles. So that would make, say, Islamic governments to be illegitimate since the very constitution of their government is against Christ.

This is very close to Roman Catholicism. The Confession rejected this position (23.4).

Infidelity, or difference in religion, does not make void the magistrates' just and legal authority, nor free the people from their due obedience to them

I only have so much time for this subject, so this is likely a post and run sort of post for me.

Been browsing some old threads, and I discover that Rutherford and Gillespie did not hold to the doctrine of mediatorial dominion. First question, what did they hold to instead? I get the impression that perhaps they held a similar view. How is theirs distinct?
Travis has a useful article at his site that outlines the various views: https://reformedbooksonline.com/the-extent-of-christs-mediatorial-kingdom-2/

See also: https://purelypresbyterian.com/tag/mediatorial-kingdom/

For example, a Christian living under Sharia law won't abstain from thievery because there's a civil law against it and because the magistracy enforces it, but because it is God's law he does not steal--but he does not obey the Islamic government for conscience sake. So he gives no countenance at all to the sham authority of an Islamic government. Though, in a lawful government there would be two reasons to abstain: one is because God condemns it, and because he is disobeying a legitimate minister of God who does rule to reward good and terrorize evil, and thus must obey that government for conscience sake. This seems to be the view of William Symington and Samuel Wylie.

There's an advantage to that view: it puts a real, definite border around the authority of a government, and it tells the government that God's law is the strict rule, and that they have no more authority than what they receive from God by His law. Anything beyond is wicked. The enforcement of God's law then becomes the substance of terrorizing evildoers and rewarding the good. Also, in such a view the Christian's conscience is not bound to tyranny, and a Christian should not fear that God judges him a sinner for not submitting to tyrannical laws.
Magistrates are always bound by natural law. They are God's ministers, so God's law still binds them, even if one does not take the mediatorial kingdom view; their authority comes from God by nature and natural revelation, which therefore ought to be obeyed for conscience's sake where the authority has been lawfully (i.e., recognized as the authority, not an usurper) ordained (except where they transgress God's law). Magistrates that come into more contact with special revelation will be more responsible for upholding the claims of Christ. If you can get ahold of it, you may find Matthew Winzer's article about Theonomy useful for seeing some historical understanding of the role of special revelation and the magistrate's authority (found in the Confessional Presbyterian Journal Volume 5).

I only have so much time for this subject, so this is likely a post and run sort of post for me.

Travis has a useful article at his site that outlines the various views: https://reformedbooksonline.com/the-extent-of-christs-mediatorial-kingdom-2/

See also: https://purelypresbyterian.com/tag/mediatorial-kingdom/

Magistrates are always bound by natural law. They are God's ministers, so God's law still binds them, even if one does not take the mediatorial kingdom view; their authority comes from God by nature and natural revelation, which therefore ought to be obeyed for conscience's sake where the authority has been lawfully (i.e., recognized as the authority, not an usurper) ordained (except where they transgress God's law). Magistrates that come into more contact with special revelation will be more responsible for upholding the claims of Christ. If you can get ahold of it, you may find Matthew Winzer's article about Theonomy useful for seeing some historical understanding of the role of special revelation and the magistrate's authority (found in the Confessional Presbyterian Journal Volume 5).

So is it that Gillespie and Rutherford see Christ as having rule over all nations as God only, but not as God-man, and the rule as God-man pertains only to the church?

I think it might be good for me to make absolutely clear, considering the nature of my questions: I am absolutely opposed to anarchy or speediness to resistance. When 1 Peter says to be subject to every ordinance of man for the Lord's sake, I take that to mean that even if you can consider a government illegitimate, still it is not for man's authority but for God's that, so far as possible, you comply with the laws that are over you. That's a divine curtailment to rebellion.

Even if a government could be considered illegitimate, you still have God's authority binding you to conscientious and reasonable obedience, which I think Peter means by "every ordinance of man."
If they are legitimate, you have a double obligation--the authority of God, and the authority of a lawful minister.

Last edited:
So is it that Gillespie and Rutherford see Christ as having rule over all nations as God only, but not as God-man, and the rule as God-man pertains only to the church?

Specifically, Jesus isn't mediating over the nations right now. Otherwise, pagan ministers are sub-mediating. Further, Jesus would be mediating his benefits to the pagans.

He has dominion as the Son of God, but not as the mediator. Gillespie is pretty clear on this.
https://tentsofshem.wordpress.com/2018/05/25/review-gillespie-aarons-rod-blossoming/

1. Does Jesus reign over devils by his mediatorial work or by his divine power? Obviously the latter. Therefore, it is a separate kingdom.
  2. His being the ‘heir of all things,’ receiving the heathen, relates to the church (Gillespie 94).
  3. In Scripture pagan civil governments are recognized as legitimate, even if they aren’t under Christ.

Specifically, Jesus isn't mediating over the nations right now. Otherwise, pagan ministers are sub-mediating. Further, Jesus would be mediating his benefits to the pagans.

He has dominion as the Son of God, but not as the mediator. Gillespie is pretty clear on this.
https://tentsofshem.wordpress.com/2018/05/25/review-gillespie-aarons-rod-blossoming/

1. Does Jesus reign over devils by his mediatorial work or by his divine power? Obviously the latter. Therefore, it is a separate kingdom.
  2. His being the ‘heir of all things,’ receiving the heathen, relates to the church (Gillespie 94).
  3. In Scripture pagan civil governments are recognized as legitimate, even if they aren’t under Christ.

Interesting. So did Gillespie hold the view that as divine person only He rules the nations, but as the God-man He only rules the church? And that as God-man He can only rule as Mediator in the Kingdom of Grace?

For the first point, I've understood MD to assume they are in a separate kingdom, but the God-man rules in both. No denial of another kingdom separate from the kingdom of grace.

I think an answer to his view on receiving the heathens in part depends on knowing why Gillespie says Christ may not rule over the nations as God-Man, if that's how I understand him.

Not sure how the third point helps Gillespie's premise, which is partially what I'm trying to figure out--how does MD lead to a conclusion that some governments are illegitimate?

Interesting. So did Gillespie hold the view that as divine person only He rules the nations, but as the God-man He only rules the church? And that as God-man He can only rule as Mediator in the Kingdom of Grace?

He uses the distinction of Mediator and Dominion. I can't remember but I don't recall him saying "God-man" or making that a factor.
For the first point, I've understood MD to assume they are in a separate kingdom, but the God-man rules in both. No denial of another kingdom separate from the kingdom of grace.

But mediatorial reign sees the mediator over both. That's what Gillespie is denying.

This is very close to Roman Catholicism. The Confession rejected this position (23.4).

Infidelity, or difference in religion, does not make void the magistrates' just and legal authority, nor free the people from their due obedience to them

Is this infidelity and indifference in relation to individual magistrates, or the whole government itself? For Sharia law we're not talking about one pagan in a government that fears God, which the Assembly believed every government should do. In Sharia Law, they've avowed not to be the minister of God by founding themselves on the Quran.

I'm also thinking that someone like Samuel Rutherford cannot hold that a magistrate at all times has just and legal authority since he believed in popular revolution, so he would think that it would break down somewhere. I would imagine some others from the Assembly would agree. So can a so-called government start out and assert authority it doesn't have, and under which there is no obligation to obey?

He uses the distinction of Mediator and Dominion. I can't remember but I don't recall him saying "God-man" or making that a factor.

But mediatorial reign sees the mediator over both. That's what Gillespie is denying.

I see. I'll have to look up Gillespie--or wait for someone else to do my homework and post it here.

I use the term God-man because it sounded like Gillespie says Christ somehow ruled the kingdom of power only in divine essence. Some are probably hesitant to say that He rules over the nations as God-Man because it's in this way He also acts as Mediator. I've not conceived MD to lead to Christ being mediator for pagans anymore than household baptism making Him a mediator for unconverted baptized children, even though we speak of those children as in the church. He doesn't rule all the same way.

I'm also thinking that someone like Samuel Rutherford cannot hold that a magistrate at all times has just and legal authority since he believed in popular revolution, so he would think that it would break down somewhere.

That's not the argument I'm making. Your OP referenced "Another question has come up in this discussion of the legitimacy of a government that does not acknowledge Christ, or is founded on anti-Christian principles," which is a position that WCF specifically condemns.

Further, Jesus would be mediating his benefits to the pagans.
Yes, I agree with this. Also one of the reasons I do not hold to a millennium kingdom with Christ reigning physically over the nations and with the clearly redemptive benefits extending to both believers and unbelievers.
PS: If I remember correctly, Jacob, you are historic premil?

While I agree with the divines who held that Christ rules over the nations as the mediator (see John Owen, James Bannerman, A. A. Hodge, Richard Baxter, and Peter Sterry - none of whom were RPs) it must always be remembered that civil government (like marriage) is founded in nature and does not need to be Christian in order to be legitimate. The fact that it is founded in nature does not stop me from affirming that Christ is mediatorial king over the state, as grace perfects nature but it does stop me from running to the excess of thinking that a state or a particular civil magistrate is not legitimate unless it recognises the mediatorial kingship of Christ.

While I agree with the divines who held that Christ rules over the nations as the mediator (see John Owen, James Bannerman, A. A. Hodge, Richard Baxter, and Peter Sterry - none of whom were RPs) it must always be remembered that civil government (like marriage) is founded in nature and does not need to be Christian in order to be legitimate. The fact that it is founded in nature does not stop me from affirming that Christ is mediatorial king over the state, as grace perfects nature but it does stop me from running to the excess of thinking that a state or a particular civil magistrate is not legitimate unless it recognises the mediatorial kingship of Christ.

Or otherwise you would have to say a marriage between unbelievers is illegitimate.

I'm still trying to figure out how one draws the conclusion of the illegitimacy of a government on MD grounds, but still it feels like it topples some plain NT grounds of submission.

Christ being the Mediatorial King does not mean He mediates His benefits for pagans. Eph 1 is clear that His Mediatorial reign over the Church and nations is for the sake of the Church.

@Reformed Covenanter

@Romans922

I am reading a summary of Gillespie's arguments here, and I am confused just what is the difference between his view and Mediatorial Dominion.

The main work I've read is Symington, and I've had discussions with my elder. My understanding is not that Ephesians 1 makes Christ to mediate His saving benefits to all the world, but the authority over all things is given to him for the sake of benefiting the church. That seems to be Gillespie's view, but it seems to be my own MD view.

It sounds like Gillespie is countering a view that makes the magistrate a sort of ecclesiastical officer. Or even that governments or nations are under the authority of the church.

There seems to be a paradox in his view. He held that the nations given as an inheritance means that he has authority to take out of all nations his own people, though in another place Gillespie holds Christ as Mediator being the pre-eminent King of Kings. Per one footnote on King of Kings:

[Per Aaron’s Rod, ch. 6, section 2, Gillespie understands this phrase to refer to Christ: (1) as divine as the governing Head and King of all kings, or (2) as Mediator, the preeminent King of all kings with power over them all.]

Gillespie also argues that because Christ has pre-eminence in glory and power as God-man Mediator, it doesn't mean he rules over those other kingdoms.

But it seems like in many cases the two views come to similar ends, and that is governments being concerned to enforce God's law and act as God's minister for terror to evil or reward of righteousness.

What separates Gillespie from MD proponents today? Or someone like Symington or Owen or Baxter?

Edit: Tagging one more, @Travis Fentiman , who wrote the referenced paper. Thoughts, sir?

Last edited:
I am reading a summary of Gillespie's arguments here, and I am confused just what is the difference between his view and Mediatorial Dominion.

The main work I've read is Symington, and I've had discussions with my elder. My understanding is not that Ephesians 1 makes Christ to mediate His saving benefits to all the world, but the authority over all things is given to him for the sake of benefiting the church. That seems to be Gillespie's view, but it seems to be my own MD view.

It sounds like Gillespie is countering a view that makes the magistrate a sort of ecclesiastical officer. Or even that governments or nations are under the authority of the church.

There seems to be a paradox in his view. He held that the nations given as an inheritance means that he has authority to take out of all nations his own people, though in another place Gillespie holds Christ as Mediator being the pre-eminent King of Kings. Per one footnote on King of Kings:

[Per Aaron’s Rod, ch. 6, section 2, Gillespie understands this phrase to refer to Christ: (1) as divine as the governing Head and King of all kings, or (2) as Mediator, the preeminent King of all kings with power over them all.]

Gillespie also argues that because Christ has pre-eminence in glory and power as God-man Mediator, it doesn't mean he rules over those other kingdoms.

But it seems like in many cases the two views come to similar ends, and that is governments being concerned to enforce God's law and act as God's minister for terror to evil or reward of righteousness.

What separates Gillespie from MD proponents today? Or someone like Symington or Owen or Baxter?

Gillespie's argument is that Christ isn't mediating to the pagan magistrates. He can say that, and say Christ still rules over the nations because he believes in natural law.

Gillespie's argument is that Christ isn't mediating to the pagan magistrates. He can say that, and say Christ still rules over the nations because he believes in natural law.

I see. So Gillespie is trying to prevent an idea that somehow the benefits of the kingdom of grace are mediated to the nations and their people--converted or unconverted. The idea of a vice-regent is to act as the main regent. In this case, governors acting a part in redemption, not just moral governance.

And the issue that Gillespie sees with the idea of governors being vice-regents of Christ the Mediator is that it creates the effect of the governor somehow being a salvific Mediator, thus essentially operating the nations like the church. Which is why Gillespie seems to be concerned that the end result could be a form of Erastianism.

So Gillespie is working hard to protect that distinction between the two kingdoms.

(Edited for clarity)

I see. So Gillespie is trying to prevent an idea that somehow the benefits of the kingdom of grace are mediated to the nations and their people--converted or unconverted. The idea of a vice-regent is to act as the main regent. In this case, governors acting a part in redemption, not just moral governance.

And the issue that Gillespie sees with the idea of governors being vice-regents of Christ the Mediator is that it creates the effect of the governor somehow being a salvific Mediator, thus essentially operating the nations like the church. Which is why Gillespie seems to be concerned that the end result could be a form of Erastianism.

So Gillespie is working hard to protect that distinction between the two kingdoms.

(Edited for clarity)

Yes. Gillespie believes very much in the 2 Kingdoms. I think many of us overreacted to some extreme versions of 2 Kingdoms years ago, and it allowed us to miss the obvious fact that all of the Reformed fathers believed in two kingdoms.

(Edited for clarity)
Is that all that’s at stake- maintaining the distinction between the two kingdoms in order to hold off erastianism? I have struggled to really comprehend the issues at stake here over the past several years. I’ve come away with the idea of the “being” vs. the “well-being” of the office of the magistrate looming large as an issue.

Is that all that’s at stake- maintaining the distinction between the two kingdoms in order to hold off erastianism? I have struggled to really comprehend the issues at stake here over the past several years. I’ve come away with the idea of the “being” vs. the “well-being” of the office of the magistrate looming large as an issue.

That's part of it. The other part is rebutting the Roman Catholic idea that a magistrate who is ungodly either isn't a legit magistrate or may be deposed on that ground. That line of thought has also been a temptation for some Reformed.

the magistrate who is ungodly either isn't a legit magistrate or may be deposed on that ground.
That illustrates the being vs well-being line of thinking, I think. How do these differences work themselves out in how Christ is honored and glorified? The Mediatorial view seems for instance to take a bolder stand in proclaiming Christ King of the nations and speaking about and calling on magistrates’ duty to kiss the Son. I apologize if I’m muddying things with these questions!

I am late replying because I only just noticed that I was tagged in the post. To be honest, I think the whole argument is largely a storm in a teacup, but, to be fair, George Gillespie's arguments against the potential abuse of mediatorial kingship are useful if only to serve as a reminder not to go too far in a certain direction.

The problem that I have always had with Gillespie's position is that it does not sit well with a disinterested exegesis of scripture. Hence, most contemporary arguments that I have read in defence of his views on this issue seem to be traditionalist, rather than biblical in nature.

Possibly. Though, what's in the link I provided is only the views that Gillespie has endeavored to answer, so beyond Hussey and Coleman referenced in the link I'm not sure what Mediatorial Dominion might have meant to others.

The chain of logic that Gillespie seems to dislike is this:

- All authority in heaven and earth is given to Christ, and all things are subject to Him for the sake of the church
- They are given to Him as Mediator
- Gillespie seems to detect and implication that the kingdom of grace and the kingdom of power have become one
- So, governors are vice regents for Christ as Mediator
- If the kingdoms have essentially become one, then governors are vice-regents for Christ's salvific work, at which point the government and the church have conflated functions. Erastianism!

Gillespie is staving off a form which, in reading Symington, I did not derive at all, so I find the distinction between Gillespie and MD to be quite confusing since Symington has been much of my influence. Of course, Symington is circa 200 years after Gillespie, so ideas could develop quite a bit, and thus with MD.

But some of those whom Gillespie combats seem to hold an idea that governors are members of the church. His opponents try to prove it from 1 Corinthians 12:28 that in the list of gifts in the church there is "government".

That doesn't seem to be something others in MD would hold to. Bannerman most absolutely does not. In fact, Bannerman really helped me clarify the distinct roles of the church and government. For Bannerman the church has the keys of the kingdom, the government the power of the sword, but the church and government never take on the functions of one another. Government may have commands from God concerning religious/spiritual matters, but the administration of the kingdom of grace absolutely does not belong to them. Bannerman, from my limited reading, could not possibly hold the ideas that some of those whom Gillespie was answering did hold.

That illustrates the being vs well-being line of thinking, I think. How do these differences work themselves out in how Christ is honored and glorified? The Mediatorial view seems for instance to take a bolder stand in proclaiming Christ King of the nations and speaking about and calling on magistrates’ duty to kiss the Son. I apologize if I’m muddying things with these questions!

Every Reformed thinker until 1789 would have said that. That's not the distinction. Are pagan rulers legitimate rulers, other things being equal?

Would you agree that the present day Mediatorial work itself out in a tendency to keep adherents from voting if none of the candidates are Christians? And was that Symington’s view? I do get the idea that our government is seen as illegitimate.

Every Reformed thinker until 1789 would have said that. That's not the distinction. Are pagan rulers legitimate rulers, other things being equal?
I guess the difference I’m considering is that the calling on the magistrates to kiss the Son is accompanied by a reluctance (?) to acknowledge them as legitimate.

I guess the difference I’m considering is that the calling on the magistrates to kiss the Son is accompanied by a reluctance (?) to acknowledge them as legitimate.

The Westminster STandards specifically condemn the idea that kings lose their legitimacy by being of the wrong faith/bad morals.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back