Measuring the Music

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've read most of it. It was on our church book table, and after I read it I pulled it, it was that terrible. There are plenty of reasons against much of what passes for worship music these days, but he went about it the wrong way. It was full of logical fallacies and silly arguements. And, just so you know what my perspective is and where I'm coming from, I'm only a hair's bradth away from exclusive psalmody.

Originally posted by Philip A
I've read most of it. It was on our church book table, and after I read it I pulled it, it was that terrible. There are plenty of reasons against much of what passes for worship music these days, but he went about it the wrong way. It was full of logical fallacies and silly arguements. And, just so you know what my perspective is and where I'm coming from, I'm only a hair's bradth away from exclusive psalmody.

Thanks for your thoughts on this. Have you read anything on this subjecvt which you found particularly good? I've read John Frame's CCM book, but didn't think it was that great. He seems a bit biased toward CCM. By the way, I am a guitar player in my "contemporary" worship band, but have always wanted to become settled on this issue.

Sorry Rick, I had forgot about this thread!

Originally posted by Rick Larson
Thanks for your thoughts on this. Have you read anything on this subjecvt which you found particularly good?

On the subject of worship music in particular? Not really. I really liked Peter Masters' Worship in the Melting Pot (which is available online here) for the most part. He does an excellent job of defining the aesthetic and exctatic worship styles, and explaining why they fall short of the biblical model. What keeps this from being a good book altogether though is that he eventually starts to get subjective, and asserts that certain styles of music are inherently immoral (rather than recognizing that he himself associates immorality with those particular styles).

A lot of this kind of discussion of course is based on the regulative principle. Are you settled on that, or is that also a subject of study for you?

I've read John Frame's CCM book, but didn't think it was that great. He seems a bit biased toward CCM.

That, and he also denies the regulative principle. In his other book on worship he claims to hod to it, but he radically redefines it to such an extent that it resembles the original in name only.

By the way, I am a guitar player in my "contemporary" worship band, but have always wanted to become settled on this issue.

My background in similar, I used to be heavily involved in the "contemporary" worship, not as a musician, but as the sound tech. My parents are still deeply involved in playing and singing.

[Edited on 10-2-2005 by Philip A]

Thanks for your reply, Philip.

Originally posted by Philip A

A lot of this kind of discussion of course is based on the regulative principle. Are you settled on that, or is that also a subject of study for you?

Frankly, I haven't studied the subject as deeply as I should. Even if I found myself in agreement with it, there isn't much I could do about it-- besides dropping out of the worship band myself, among possibly many other things (which I have recently done anyway in order to teach children's Sunday school). Also, I don't know of any churches in my area that hold to it. None that are even Calvinistic. That's not an excuse not to study the subject, and maybe accept it. I guess it could be just one more thing I could disagree with everyone about. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back