McCurley Responds to Keister

Status
Not open for further replies.
I will take your experience at face value. My experience, such as it is, is there is not a single KJV church greater than 100 members in most of my state.
That can't be said about the East Coast States I lived in as a Sailor. The KJV only crowd was big in Virginia Beach and Jacksonville, Florida. It was pretty big around the Indy area too but it lost steam when the big Fundy KJV Only Church got busted down for Tax evasion. smh. It really hasn't been much of an issue around here. Most people are content with their positions and seem to be pursuing other things.

I'm truly baffled by this. Pretty sure my post was clear that this was not the case and the issue was deeper than being offended at language (which I'm really not. I've been called worse).

What specifically would you like to talk about? I've talked about these issues many, many times in the past. At extensive length.
Start with finality. When will the work of ascertaining the authentic Greek text be finished? How will you know?

Start with finality. When will the work of ascertaining the authentic Greek text be finished? How will you know?
Is that a reasonable standard to expect of anyone? And given that obviously we will never reach that standard (think of how many manuscripts are destroyed) what are you suggesting we do? Just stick with the KJV because of some ad hoc theory about preservation that is historically bankrupt?

And I say that as someone who prefers the KJV for my own personal reading. Someone can prefer the KJV for whatever reason without being KJVO.

"The Scriptures of the Old and New Testament were immediately and entirely given out by God himself, his mind being in them represented unto us without the least interveniency of such mediums and ways as were capable of giving change or alteration to the least iota or syllable; so, by his good and merciful providential dispensation, in his love to his word and church, his whole word, as first given out by him, is preserved unto us entire in the original languages; where, shining in its own beauty and lustre (as also in all translations, so far as they faithfully represent the originals), it manifests and evidences unto the consciences of men, without other foreign help or assistance, its divine original and authority."

John Owen, The Complete Works of John Owen, vol. 16, p. 349-350.

c.f. Leading textual scholar Dan Wallace on the preservation of the Scriptures

“We do not have now – in any of our critical Greek texts or in any translations – exactly what the authors of the New Testament wrote. Even if we did, we would not know it. There are many, many places in which the text of the New Testament is uncertain."

Despite whatever theory somebody wishes to advance, and how much anybody wishes to pretend otherwise, no side in this debate has certainty, because certainty is an untenable standard for pretty much anything. The reality is that we have a plethora of manuscripts and textual variations. That is the situation we find ourselves in, but what is remarkable is that we actually can have great confidence that, despite the imperfections of textual criticism and translations (which, of course, the KJV translators were engaged in themselves), we do have the Word of God preserved for us to be read and preached in the Church. That is why non-Christian sects such as the JWs have to tamper with the text because they cannot have the same confidence, given the lack of textual or historical support for their renderings of the text.

“We do not have now – in any of our critical Greek texts or in any translations – exactly what the authors of the New Testament wrote. Even if we did, we would not know it. There are many, many places in which the text of the New Testament is uncertain."
I’m not a fan of Dan Wallace, and I don’t agree with him in textual criticism. However, I do think we need to be fair to him. This article, recently published, deals with this quote in its context. I still disagree with it, but it does shed a little different light on it.

Is that a reasonable standard to expect of anyone? And given that obviously we will never reach that standard (think of how many manuscripts are destroyed) what are you suggesting we do? Just stick with the KJV because of some ad hoc theory about preservation that is historically bankrupt?

And I say that as someone who prefers the KJV for my own personal reading. Someone can prefer the KJV for whatever reason without being KJVO.

That so-called "ad-hoc theory" is found in the Westminster Confession Chapter 1 section 8. Those silly divines must have been drinking that day.

I’m not a fan of Dan Wallace, and I don’t agree with him in textual criticism. However, I do think we need to be fair to him. This article, recently published, deals with this quote in its context. I still disagree with it, but it does shed a little different light on it.
Thank you for the information. I will check it out. Do note also though, that one of the current contributors to that very blog is Tommy Wasserman, who is noted to have said the following:

"In any case, for me a high view of Scripture is a matter of personal belief. I have no intention of trying to prove that this or that textual variant is the original word of God. I would like to work as a text-critic as if God didn't exist, so to speak. On the other hand, I have a personal faith which certainly affects also my scholarship, and I try to be honest about that. I am certain that other people's belief or disbelief affects what they do to. I prefer not to be put in a box of privileged white male text-critics who just pretend to do real scholarship."

That so-called "ad-hoc theory" is found in the Westminster Confession Chapter 1 section 8. Those silly divines must have been drinking that day.
No, it isn't. Let's not anachronistically read the KJVO theory of preservation back into the Westminster divines.

Graham,
I dealt with that claim in this very thread. The Divines did not think the work was done with manuscripts or that the work of ascertaining the authentic Greek text was finished. Not a single one even implied that. That hypothesis can easily be tested and has been found to be false.

"The Scriptures of the Old and New Testament were immediately and entirely given out by God himself, his mind being in them represented unto us without the least interveniency of such mediums and ways as were capable of giving change or alteration to the least iota or syllable; so, by his good and merciful providential dispensation, in his love to his word and church, his whole word, as first given out by him, is preserved unto us entire in the original languages; where, shining in its own beauty and lustre (as also in all translations, so far as they faithfully represent the originals), it manifests and evidences unto the consciences of men, without other foreign help or assistance, its divine original and authority."

"But yet we affirm, that the whole Word of God, in every letter and tittle, as given from him by inspiration, is preserved without corruption. Where there is any variety it is always in things of less, indeed of no, importance. God by his providence preserving the whole entire, suffered this lesser variety to fall out, in or among the copies we have, for the quickening and exercising of our diligence in our search into his Word."

John Owen, The Works of John Owen, ed. William H. Goold (Edinburgh: T&T Clark, n.d.), 301.

Owen's "entire preservation" allows for text critical uncertainty, at least in things of lesser or no importance. I think everyone on this board agrees that there are no important doctrines that are text-critically uncertain.

By the way, Owen needs to be read carefully on this topic rather than harvested for quotes; his views are notoriously complex; see Kelly Kapic's comment: “Owen... worked in a time of significant transition for biblical interpretation. In some ways he very much represents the Reformation, and in other ways he anticipates the growth of text criticism,” “Typology, the Messiah, and John Owen’s Theological Reading of Hebrews,” in Christology, Hermeneutics, and Hebrews: Profiles from the History of Interpretation, ed. Jon C. Laansma and Daniel J. Treier (New York: T&T Clark
International, 2012) 136.

Careful of reading your own desire into Owen. What did Owen mean and, perhaps more importantly, what did he not mean? Reading more in Volume 16 we find

Owen also said
"Notwithstanding what hath been spoken, we grant that there are and have been various lections in the Old Testament and the New...[listing of some] If any others can be gathered, or shall be hereafter, out of ancient copies of credit and esteem, where no mistake can be discovered as their cause, they deserve to be considered. Men must here deal by instances, not by conjectures [here he refers to conjectures of people as to what the original must have said based on things like ancient translations] All that yet appears impairs not in the least the truth of our assertion, that every letter and tittle of the word of God remains in the copies preserved by his merciful providence for the use of his church."

He also said:
"Among other ways that sundry men have fixed on to exercise their critical abilities, one hath been the collecting of various lections both in the Old Testament and the New. The first and most honest course fixed on to this purpose, was that of consulting various copies, and comparing them among themselves, wherein yet there were sundry miscarriages, as I shall shew in the second treatise. This was the work of Erasmus, Stephen, Beza, Arias Montanus, and some others..."

Owen also argues for alternative readings to the TR of his day in his Commentary on Hebrews. Why would he do so if every jot and tittle was in the TR?

So what must one conclude? That Owen thought the TR was certain? No, he says there were "sundry miscarriages" and offered alternate readings. So what did Owen think? It appears to that he thought God's word had been preserved in the multitude of copies, and it was an "honest course" to compare them. I will note that Owen was definitely opposed to attempts at conjectural emendation or "reconstructing" the text using ancient versions and such, and I agree with him in that. But in no way did he ever imply that the TR of his day was "jot and tittle", and even if he had, it is not the same as the TR of today, so even that would pose an additional problem.

Last edited:
"In any case, for me a high view of Scripture is a matter of personal belief. I have no intention of trying to prove that this or that textual variant is the original word of God. I would like to work as a text-critic as if God didn't exist, so to speak. On the other hand, I have a personal faith which certainly affects also my scholarship, and I try to be honest about that. I am certain that other people's belief or disbelief affects what they do to. I prefer not to be put in a box of privileged white male text-critics who just pretend to do real scholarship."
If he said that, that is extremely troubling. Again, I posted the article not to go soft on Wallace, but simply to be fair. But this that you have quoted is precisely the reason I have great hesitation about modern textual critics, even evangelical ones. There is not and can be no neutrality in this endeavor.

If he said that, that is extremely troubling. Again, I posted the article not to go soft on Wallace, but simply to be fair. But this that you have quoted is precisely the reason I have great hesitation about modern textual critics, even evangelical ones. There is not and can be no neutrality in this endeavor.
As far as I can tell in this discussion on textual criticism so far, the only people I see quoting Dan Wallace are the TR side. As Taylor is saying, Wallace should absolutely be criticized for some of the bizarre things he says, but please note the CT side is not using him as "their guy". Also, there are several individuals taking a different angle such as the majority text side (which also disagrees with the TR theory) or even the Sturzian side. All this to say, continuing to bring up Dan Wallace is a bit of a straw man unless someone is actually using him to support their arguments.

Right, but continuing to bring up Chris Myers is obviously legit?
s far as I can tell in this discussion on textual criticism so far, the only people I see quoting Dan Wallace are the TR side. As Taylor is saying, Wallace should absolutely be criticized for some of the bizarre things he says, but please note the CT side is not using him as "their guy". Also, there are several individuals taking a different angle such as the majority text side (which also disagrees with the TR theory) or even the Sturzian side. All this to say, continuing to bring up Dan Wallace is a bit of a straw man unless someone is actually using him to support their arguments.

Right, but continuing to bring up Chris Myers is obviously legit?
Seems like we all should be calling balls and strikes. The non TR sides have no issues calling out Dan Wallace's nonsense. With Myers, I continue to see doubling down in most cases, not all though. Are you able to criticize one of your own when they are out of line or is there an unwritten rule that this cannot take place?

For what it's worth other evangelical TC guys like Gurry have said they would not agree with Wasserman's statement. I also have several professors at RTS who are very godly men and involved in textual criticism. It's already a bad way to argue a position, but even on factual grounds I don't think the whole, "All text-critics are unsound in the faith/theologically corrupt/etc." argument holds any water.

That's complete nonsense in the context of this discussion on this site, as I'm sure you know. Lots, perhaps the majority, of active TR proponents here have condemned Myers' language (not that they should have to, given they are not associated with his comments). You are the first of the "non-TR sides" I am aware of here even going to the length of describing Dan Wallace's view as nonsense.

Further, I earlier, as an experiment in fair mindedness on the "non-TR sides", invited any of those baying for condemnation of Myers by posters on this site (who are not associated with Myers), to condemn Lane Keister's earlier language (on this very site), slandering Revs Sheffield, McCurley, and (I seem to recall) others. As far as I'm aware, only 1 person (Phil D) was willing to do so. Just weights and just measures?
Seems like we all should be calling balls and strikes. The non TR sides have no issues calling out Dan Wallace's nonsense. With Myers, I continue to see doubling down in most cases, not all though. Are you able to criticize one of your own when they are out of line or is there an unwritten rule that this cannot take place?

That's complete nonsense in the context of this discussion on this site, as I'm sure you know. Lots, perhaps the majority, of active TR proponents here have condemned Myers' language (not that they should have to, given they are not associated with his comments). You are the first of the "non-TR sides" I am aware of here even going to the length of describing Dan Wallace's view as nonsense.

Further, I earlier, as an experiment in fair mindedness on the "non-TR sides", invited any of those baying for condemnation of Myers by posters on this site (who are not associated with Myers), to condemn Lane Keister's earlier language (on this very site), slandering Revs Sheffield, McCurley, and (I seem to recall) others. As far as I'm aware, only 1 person (Phil D) was willing to do so. Just weights and just measures?
Well, it seems we are an impasse again, which is normally what happens on this subject. For my part, I would agree we should speak to each other with charity and brotherly love, but also with truth. Each side should be called out when needed.

I'm not sure if everyone may have seen Lane's qualification posted (later?) at the very end of his original review, here.

I hadn't seen it Phil, thanks for bringing it to my attention. It doesn't really change much in my view to be honest, what he said is still at least as outrageous as what Myers said, even including the "clarification" that when he said "lie" he meant untruth.

I hadn't seen it Phil, thanks for bringing it to my attention. It doesn't really change much in my view to be honest, what he said is still at least as outrageous as what Myers said, even including the "clarification" that when he said "lie" he meant untruth.

You seem to then be saying Myers' words are indeed outrageous, and shouldn't have been said in the first place. Am I correct?

How is it even remotely comparable to suggest that demonstrable falsities being called out (I can see that the word 'lie' carries the connotations of malicious intent, but clarification has been provided to show that isn't what is being implied) is in any way like someone claiming that non-TR bible translations are in some sense the work of the devil? The embarrassment belongs to those producing the shoddy work that was shown for what it was.

@Phil D. Sorry, I'm having trouble with the quote function today. In my view, yes, though I have been in the minority of TR proponents on this site in that I have up till now refrained from passing judgment on his comments, simply because it's not my place to. And I'm comfortable with those of the other persuasion refraining from condemning Keister, Wallace, or anyone else with whom they may happen to disagree. But those same people should then also refrain from clamouring for everyone who disagrees with them to condemn (in this case) Myers. That's my only point here, I'm not actually trying to get everyone to condemn everyone else (apologies if it looks like that) I'm just hoping everyone will stop it!

even on factual grounds I don't think the whole, "All text-critics are unsound in the faith/theologically corrupt/etc."
Oh, I agree entirely, brother, which is why I said I have “hesitation” instead of disgust (or something similar). Some of the godliest men I know are proponents of the Critical Text.

I confess that I have recently had hesitation even about this whole debate. Ian Hamilton helpfully counseled us in a recent class to view issues generally under three categories—hills to die on, hills to fight on, and hills to ignore. While I have made arguments against the Critical Text, primarily based on its methodology, and while I am a fairly convinced Majority Text man, I am not convinced this issue is a hill to die on. And, frankly, the longer this gets drawn out, the less I am convinced it is even a hill to fight on. I do think it’s something to be discussed, even forthrightly at times. It’s certainly not a hill to ignore. But I am afraid many see this as a hill on which to die, sacrificing even dear Christian brotherhood, if that’s what it takes. This ought not to be so, and we must avoid it at all costs.

I also see valid counsel and desires on both sides here. On the one hand, we ought to guard our tongues because we are enjoined—by no less than the One who made man’s mouth (Exod. 4:11)—to "let no corrupting talk come out of your mouths, but only such as is good for building up, as fits the occasion, that it may give grace to those who hear" (Eph. 4:29). On the other hand, when we do encounter speech we find unwholesome, while complaint and pleading are not unwarranted, there comes a time when it is best simply to ignore and move on: “The vexation of a fool is known at once, but the prudent ignores an insult” (Prov. 12:16).

This is just my “two cents” as someone who has primarily been an observer in these discussions.

Graham,
I dealt with that claim in this very thread. The Divines did not think the work was done with manuscripts or that the work of ascertaining the authentic Greek text was finished. Not a single one even implied that. That hypothesis can easily be tested and has been found to be false.

I've read what you cited. At best men are inconsistent, at worst they are perfidious and rationalizing. I cannot "explain" the inconsistency in the men you cite but I can say that the Confession could not make these two statements without logically putting the same amount of stress that the TR brothers place upon WCF 1:8.

"so as in all controversies of religion the Church is finally to appeal unto them [the Hebrew and Greek texts]"...

and

"unto which nothing at any time is to be added, whether by new revelations of the Spirit, or traditions of men." [the critics scalpel comes within the scope of this prohibition or else you logically have the problem of "open canon"]

Moreover, the Assembly was the work of a group of men and at any point you will find dissenters. Therefore one could dig up a dissenting quote and then "cite" that as proof of the thinking of the entire Assembly. Just how representative are those quotes you cite? And without digging up every quote of every Divine on any particular matter to have a comprehensive understanding of their thinking, might we not be better served if we stress the "internal coherence" of what they produced, namely the WCF itself ?

Every time this topic comes up, what I see is one side looking for “certainty” at all costs, and the other side seeking for the “reality” of the textual situation.

If that same quest for “certainty” (flying in the face of reality if needs be) were applied to other areas with such vigour, we would be in a lot of trouble.

Every time this topic comes up, what I see is one side looking for “certainty” at all costs, and the other side seeking for the “reality” of the textual situation.

If that same quest for “certainty” (flying in the face of reality if needs be) were applied to other areas with such vigour, we would be in a lot of trouble.

Are you saying that reality isn't certain? Or that knowing certainly isn't realistic? What exactly are you saying?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back