Matthew Poole on the sin of encroachment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reformed Covenanter

Cancelled Commissioner
The princes; the great men about the king and court, the rulers and governors, who by the law of God and man should have been the maintainers of equity and justice among the people. Of Judah; of the kingdom of Judah, or the two tribes. Were; have been, and now are in the days of Ahaz, for to this man’s time the prophet now pointeth.

Like them that remove the bound; the ancient bounds which limited every one, prevented controversies and oppressions of encroaching, covetous men. The prophet, I doubt not, aims at reproving the sin of these great ones in changing the laws of religion, as well as altering the bounds of civil rights, whether by encroaching upon foreigners, and enlarging the kingdom of Judah by entrenching on the neighbouring kingdoms, or, which is more certain, by injustice and violence seizing what was another’s. Therefore I will pour out my wrath upon them: this was sin and forbidden, Deut. xix.14; this practice is cursed, Deut. xxvii. 17, and God now will punish it. Like water; like an overflowing flood.

For more, see Matthew Poole on the sin of encroachment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back