Matthew Poole on the Book of Ruth

Status
Not open for further replies.

dildaysc

Puritan Board Junior
A new study...

The Book of Ruth is one of the under-studied and underappreciated books of the Canon. Admittedly, there are good reasons for Christians to focus most on books such as the Gospel of John and the Epistle to the Romans, the Book of Genesis and the Prophecy of Isaiah. However, recognizing that the Canon as a whole is part of our inheritance as God's people and profitable for spiritual development (2 Timothy 3:16, 17), I find myself curious about and captivated by those less-familiar portions of God's Word, Ecclesiastes and Zechariah, Jude and Revelation, etc. Our journey into the Book of Ruth is certainly along a path less-traveled.

And I hope that your heart yearns and burns for what Christ might have to tell us in these ancient and precious pages...especially about Himself!

Our principal guide will be Matthew Poole. For the first time, Matthew Poole's Latin Synopsis, a verse-by-verse history of interpretation, is being rendered into English. The translation of the Poole's Synopsis forms the main body of the lesson. However, in the "Comments" section, exegetical, theological, and practical (especially) comments are provided from some of the greatest teachers in the history of Christianity. Feel free to add your own comments...to interact with the material, and with one another.

Lessons are already beginning to appear below, and new material will be added almost daily. By the time that we are finished (by God's blessing and power), it will probably be the largest study of its kind available online.

Trusting in Christ, our Great Teacher, let's get started...

www.fromreformationtoreformation.com/ruth

William Gouge's Domestical Duties: 'Fathers- and mothers-in-law are to be ranked in the first degree of those who are in the place of natural parents. Very good proof there is in scripture for children's subjection to them. The respect which Moses bear to his father-in-law, [Exodus 18:7] and Ruth to her mother-in-law, [Ruth 1-2] and Christ himself to his supposed father, [Luke 2:51] are commended for this very purpose. Subjection is noted in Christ's example: reverence in Moses: recompence in Ruth's.'

Introduction to Ruth 1.

Ruth is a beautiful book in which we see in the lives of the people involved many key Biblical doctrines worked out such as election, God's sovereignty and providence generally, the kinsman redeemer and much experiential teaching.

As to the move to Moab: God used it for good (e.g. the bringing in of Ruth to the people of God) but we should always remember that to remove oneself from the means of grace is a very dangerous thing to do and whilst God may use it for good, we do not have a promise of that beforehand. We must adhere to the revealed will of God. Naomi suffered much sorrow and loss as well and she was no better off (materially) when she returned than she was when she left (the reason for going to Moab): indeed she was worse off.

Ruth is a beautiful book in which we see in the lives of the people involved many key Biblical doctrines worked out such as election, God's sovereignty and providence generally, the kinsman redeemer and much experiential teaching.

As to the move to Moab: God used it for good (e.g. the bringing in of Ruth to the people of God) but we should always remember that to remove oneself from the means of grace is a very dangerous thing to do and whilst God may use it for good, we do not have a promise of that beforehand. We must adhere to the revealed will of God. Naomi suffered much sorrow and loss as well and she was no better off (materially) when she returned than she was when she left (the reason for going to Moab): indeed she was worse off.
Insightful...

Spurgeon's Morning and Evening: '"Orpah kissed her mother in law; but Ruth clave unto her."—Ruth 1:14

Both of them had an affection for Naomi, and therefore set out with her upon her return to the land of Judah. But the hour of test came; Naomi most unselfishly set before each of them the trials which awaited them, and bade them if they cared for ease and comfort to return to their Moabitish friends. At first both of them declared that they would cast in their lot with the Lord's people; but upon still further consideration Orpah with much grief and a respectful kiss left her mother in law, and her people, and her God, and went back to her idolatrous friends, while Ruth with all her heart gave herself up to the God of her mother in law. It is one thing to love the ways of the Lord when all is fair, and quite another to cleave to them under all discouragements and difficulties. The kiss of outward profession is very cheap and easy, but the practical cleaving to the Lord, which must show itself in holy decision for truth and holiness, is not so small a matter. How stands the case with us, is our heart fixed upon Jesus, is the sacrifice bound with cords to the horns of the altar? Have we counted the cost, and are we solemnly ready to suffer all worldly loss for the Master's sake? The after gain will be an abundant recompense, for Egypt's treasures are not to be compared with the glory to be revealed. [Romans 8:18] Orpah is heard of no more; in glorious ease and idolatrous pleasure her life melts into the gloom of death; but Ruth lives in history and in heaven, for grace has placed her in the noble line whence sprung the King of kings. Blessed among women shall those be who for Christ's sake can renounce all; but forgotten and worse than forgotten shall those be who in the hour of temptation do violence to conscience and turn back unto the world. O that this morning we may not be content with the form of devotion, which may be no better than Orpah's kiss, but may the Holy Spirit work in us a cleaving of our whole heart to our Lord Jesus.'

Precious...

Robert Hawker's Poor Man's Portion: '"Why have I found grace in thine eyes, that thou shouldest take knowledge of me, seeing I am a stranger?"—Ruth 2:10

My soul! dost thou not find continual causes for sending forth the same inquiry as this poor Moabitess did, when thou art receiving some renewed instance of Jesus' favour? Her heart was overwhelmed with the kindness of Boaz, in permitting her to glean only in his fields, and to eat a morsel of food with his servants: but thy Boaz, thy Kinsman-Redeemer, hath opened to thee all his stores of grace and mercy; he bids thee come and take of the water of life freely; yea, he is to thee, himself, the bread of life, and the water of life; and is now, and will be for ever, thy portion, on which thou mayest feed to all eternity. When thou lookest back, and tracest the subject of his love from the beginning, in the springs and autumns of his grace; when thou takest a review of the distinguishing nature of these acts of grace; when thou bringest into the account thine ingratitude, under all the sunshine of his love and favour; will not the question again and again arise, at every review, "Why have I found grace in thine eyes, that thou shouldest take knowledge of me, seeing I am a stranger?" [Ruth 2:10] Stranger indeed, by nature and by practice; living without God, and without Christ in the world. And, my soul, it might have been, long since, supposed, that, after such repeated unceasing acts of grace, as Jesus hath shewn, and even when thou hast caused him "to serve with thy sins, and wearied him with thy transgressions;" yet his compassions have failed not, but have been "new every morning;" it might have been supposed, that long and unceasing grace would at length have produced the blessed effect of living wholly to him, who hath so loved thee, as to give himself for thee. But, alas! the day that marks gain his mercy, marks again thy rebellion. So that the heart is constrained every day to cry out, "Why have I found grace in thine eyes?" Precious Jesus! the only answer is, because thou art, thou wilt be Jesus. Lord! I bow down to the dust of the earth, in token of my vileness, and thy unspeakable glory! It is indeed the glorious attribute of thy grace to poor fallen men: "the Lord delighteth in mercy. He will perform the truth to Jacob, and the mercy to Abraham, which thou hast sworn unto our fathers from the days of old."'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back