Matthew Henry's Counsel on Singing of Psalms

Discussion in 'A capella Exclusive Psalmody' started by VirginiaHuguenot, Oct 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VirginiaHuguenot

VirginiaHuguenot Puritanboard Librarian

Readers of Matthew Henry's commentary on the Psalms will note that he commonly provides exhortations on how to rightly sing each Psalm. I have collected his comments in this regard on the first eight psalms as an encouragement to note these exhortations when reading his commentary.

Psalm 1.1-3:

Psalm 1.4-6:

Psalm 2.1-9:

Psalm 2.10-12:

Psalm 3.1-3:

Psalm 3.4-8:

Psalm 4.1-5:

Psalm 4.6-8:

Psalm 5.1-6:

Psalm 5.7-12:

Psalm 6.1-7:

Psalm 7.1-9:

Psalm 7.10-17:

Psalm 8.1-2:

Psalm 8.3-9:

2. Prufrock

Prufrock Arbitrary Moderation

Hm, I don't remember that from reading Henry. Amen. Thanks for the post.

3. JohnV

JohnV Puritan Board Post-Graduate

In our group Bible study at our church we are studying several of the Psalms. Last time we focused on Ps. 19. I took note of a suggestion in Henry's commentary concerning his being attuned to these being sung, not just for doctrinal teaching. I noticed this too, Andrew.

I've been personally studying all the Psalms in reference to what praise we are to give to God, what we are to praise Him for, in what venues we are to do that, and in what form. I just got past the Hundredth Psalm. It's been very educational.

I look forward to more installmensts of your study in this area, Andrew.

4. VirginiaHuguenot

You're very welcome!

:up: Excellent, John. I'll try to come back to this soon. Blessings!

5. VirginiaHuguenot

I found the following in Henry's preface to his commentary on the Psalms:

6. Tim

Tim Puritan Board Graduate

This has been a wonderfully encouraging thing to find in Matthew Henry's work. Thanks for this contribution to the board, Andrew!

7. VirginiaHuguenot

You're welcome!

I have long relied on John Brown of Haddington's Notes on the Psalter which was first published in 1775 for this purpose.

Links and Downloads Manager - Old Testament - The Psalms in Metre with Notes by John Brown of Haddington - The PuritanBoard

But I now see that a version of the Scottish Metrical Psalter was also published with Matthew Henry's notes on the Psalms in the same year (1775).

I like this focus because it helps one to sing with understanding rather than by mere rote. May we all sing the psalms with grace in our hearts.

8. Prufrock

Prufrock Arbitrary Moderation

Thank you for the post; I had heard of John Brown's work on the Psalms, but never had hopes of finding it. I've just been briefly skimming over the link, and I'm quite excited to read it carefully. It looks to be very beneficial.

(If you ever find a version of Henry's notes, please post!)

9. VirginiaHuguenot

Will do! If you like Brown's notes online, you might want to consider getting the 1991 P&R edition. There are a couple of used copies available for purchase here. There are other editions out there too, including the 1991 PHP edition.

10. VirginiaHuguenot

In addition to versions of the Scottish Metrical Psalter which contain annotations by John Brown of Haddington and / or Matthew Henry (I saw a reference to an 1835 edition which contained notes by Brown and Henry), there is also an edition of the same with annotations from David Dickson's commentary on the Psalms (the earliest version I have seen a reference to so far is dated 1748).
    -----Added 11/25/2008 at 09:49:18 EST-----
    Ps. 9.1-20:

Ps. 10.1-11:

Ps. 10.12-18:

Ps. 11.1-7:

Ps. 12.1-8:

Ps. 13.1-6:

Ps. 14.1-3:

Ps. 14.4-7:

Ps. 15.1-5:

11. Augusta

Augusta Puritan Board Doctor

Gee, somebody should compile these into a little companion book to the psalter. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.