Matthew Henry in one volume?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Christoffer

Puritan Board Sophomore
I am looking at getting Matthew Henrys commentaries.

However, I keep finding a one-volume commentary of about 2000 pages. It claims to be the complete version and not the concise one. This seems odd since that means that 6 books have been compressed into one.

Is is true that there is a one-volume version of the complete commentary of Matthew Henry? Is it readable or is the text too small? Does any PB:er know?

It is very affordable also, so I dare not order at this stage, in case it would be the concise version.

Hi Christoffer,
I have a one-volume Matthew Henry. It does seem to be complete as claimed.
How this is managed is in three main ways:
1) by printing it very small,
2) by making the book enormous, and
3) by omitting the words of the Bible itself from amongst the text. You get references to verse numbers but not the actual words. -as you can imagine, that cuts it down enormously, because the whole Bible is reproduced in the six-volume edition!

I have both editions - I found the one-volume one in a charity shop after I already had the other. (I got the six volumes from the Metropolitan Tabernacle Bookshop in London a few years ago, and the price was not at all prohibitive, but it may have been a limited time offer).
I do use both - the one-volume is unwieldy, but it can still be carted about more easily, and you don't keep finding you want to refer to a volume you left in the other room, or wherever.
However it is definitely less easy to use - partly from the small print, but also because it's much harder to keep track of which commentary belongs to which verses, if you have to keep a Bible separately alongside. That's what I've found anyway.

You can't take the one volume to bed with you and read it comfortably!

I don't like it or use it.

Though I am usually of the opinion that there is no substitute for the feel of a good bock in hand, Matthew Henry is available free of charge in its entirety online. I have it in my esword program (also free and containing lots of other free resources).

I found the complete 1 volume commentary at a local used bookstore for a buck. It is huge and not very practical as the print is minuscule, but I couldn't pass it up for a dollar!

I found the complete 1 volume commentary at a local used bookstore for a buck. It is huge and not very practical as the print is minuscule, but I couldn't pass it up for a dollar!
this was pretty much the same scenario that led to my owning it...
as Richard says, you definitely can't read it in bed either.
It occurred to me on the other hand that not having the Bible printed in amongst the commentary could actually be a positive advantage to someone whose primary Bible version is not the AV ...?

You can wrestle with it in bed, if you want to become a trained wrestler!

Quote from Steve
Though I am usually of the opinion that there is no substitute for the feel of a good bock in hand, Matthew Henry is available free of charge in its entirety online. I have it in my esword program (also free and containing lots of other free resources).

This is why I'm going to get round to getting an e-reader, DV. There's so much good free stuff online.

I am looking at getting Matthew Henrys commentaries.

However, I keep finding a one-volume commentary of about 2000 pages. It claims to be the complete version and not the concise one. This seems odd since that means that 6 books have been compressed into one.

Is is true that there is a one-volume version of the complete commentary of Matthew Henry? Is it readable or is the text too small? Does any PB:er know?

It is very affordable also, so I dare not order at this stage, in case it would be the concise version.

I have Matthew Henry in one volume. It is not condensed! It is original. The trick is it is very fine print and is triple column. HOwever, everything he wrote is there. I use it often. It is quite a large book though. It is probably the largest book I have. I just leave it on my study area because it's too large to store on a shelf.

I just leave it on my study area because it's too large to store on a shelf.
that's what I've found is the best way to use it, too (since Richard's suggestion of grappling with it in bed doesn't really appeal)
I have a nasty feeling anyway that being so huge and heavy, and the boards relatively flimsy, too much grappling with it anywhere would probably soon have it in pieces

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back