Matthew 6:30-33

Status
Not open for further replies.

adamjthompson

Puritan Board Freshman
How does Matthew 6:30-33 apply to a believer who dies destitute with no clothes? Do we say that they will receive their clothes/reward in the next life? That almost seems like a cop-out to me. Or do we say that just as some birds die of cold in the winter, so a few humans do also...but that providential provision is the general rule, although sin still causes suffering? Any particulars from the Greek that aren't clear in English?

I think Thomas Manton answers this question admirably:
This life was given us to seek a better, and therefore the felicity of it must not be measured by a more ample portion of food and raiment, but as we are fitted and prepared for the better life, which is the end and scope of life itself. All these things are but your provision in the way to heaven, therefore not principally to be sought after; your business is to serve God, and seek the salvation of your souls: Matt 6:33, "Seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness, and all these things shall be added unto you;" that is, there will be enough to sustain us in our journey to heaven, whilst we are preparing for eternity, and therefore we should be content.
(Works, Vol. 2, p. 310)

Hello Adam,

And there is also Romans 8:35-39, which further clarifies what Bryan spoke of,

Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? shall tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or peril, or sword? As it is written, For thy sake we are killed all the day long; we are accounted as sheep for the slaughter.

Nay, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him that loved us. For I am persuaded, that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come, Nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.​

Although we know and trust our Lord's gracious and generous provision, we are also willing to suffer these things for His name's sake. It is similar to Luke 21:16-18,

And ye shall be betrayed both by parents, and brethren, and kinsfolks, and friends; and some of you shall they cause to be put to death. And ye shall be hated of all men for my name's sake. But there shall not an hair of your head perish.​

"Normally" we may expect His promised provision, yet we understand that we may also be called to suffer, and He gives us grace to be willing to demonstrate we prefer His love and approval over all other considerations, come what may. This is a potent testimony to the lost world.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back