Paedo-Baptism Answers Matthew 28:19-20

Status
Not open for further replies.

De Jager

Puritan Board Junior
Is there room in this passage (Matthew 28:19-20) for the infants of believing parents? I believe there is, but would just like some additional clarity.

I took a look at the interlinear site (https://biblehub.com/interlinear/matthew/28.htm)

It seems to be rendered as:

"disciple all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the father and the son..."

This seems to indicate that Jesus is not setting out to give us a formula on "who" exactly is to be baptized, or setting out to give us a definition on who is a "disciple" but seems to be emphasizing that the disciples are to go into the world and baptize the "nations"; that is, the emphasis seems to be on the spread of the gospel to all the ends of the world.

Thus, this passage does not seem to be of much use in the argument against paedobaptism.

Thoughts?

Grammatically, the passage says that one is to make disciples by baptizing, not make disciples then baptize. So, no, the passage, at the very least, says nothing against the practice, and on a very standard interpretation lends itself to paedobaptist practice.

Grammatically, the passage says that one is to make disciples [you]by[/you] baptizing, not make disciples [you]then[/you] baptize. So, no, the passage, at the very least, says nothing against the practice, and on a very standard interpretation lends itself to paedobaptist practice.

That is fascinating. Is it possible for you to elaborate on that a little without a greek lesson? If not, no worries. Or if you have a link to another thread where it is explained?

That is fascinating. Is it possible for you to elaborate on that a little without a greek lesson? If not, no worries. Or if you have a link to another thread where it is explained?

Sure!

As simply as I can put it, the main verb in Matthew 28:19 is "make disciples" (μαθητεύσατε). "Baptizing" (βαπτίζοντες) and "teaching" (διδάσκοντες) grammatically are participles, which often modify main verbs. While there are various uses of the participle (i.e., what it says about the main verb), it is commonly understood that these are "participles of means." In other words, these verbs tell us in what way the main verb ("make disciples") is to be done.

So, how does one "make disciples," according to this passage? You do it by means of baptizing and teaching them. Temporally speaking, then, baptism comes at the beginning of the making of a disciple of Christ, not at the end.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back