Matthew 24:29

Status
Not open for further replies.
@JM

My interpretation of Revelation largely fits into the idealist school, while recognizing that many of the symbols used were immediately recognizable given the First century situation in the empire.

That said, I think Revelation 6 is echoing the Olivet Discourse in all the signs that Jesus said are NOT signs of the end (the exact opposite of what Dispensationalists say). We are not to be deceived by calamities that are inevitably breeding grounds for false prophets and false Christs. Wars, famine, pestilence, violence, and persecution of believers always mark this age. But God is sovereign over all! Rest in him and don’t be troubled by all these things, for our redemption draweth nigh, and our salvation is nearer than when we first believed!

The First resurrection is symbolic. There is only one physical resurrection, taking place when Jesus returns bodily. The just rise to everlasting life, and the unjust to everlasting punishment. I’m not dogmatic about whether the first resurrection is symbolic of the moment of regeneration or the believer’s death when his spirit immediately goes to be with the Lord. The important part is that believers are priests and reign with Jesus “a thousand years” (remember that we are right now a kingdom of priests and seated with Jesus in the heavenlies) as opposed to the brief moments of affliction and reign of the beast and serpent here. When I read of the souls beheaded I am reminded of Jesus’ words that some of you will be put to death but not a hair of your head will perish.

The first resurrection doesn’t stand opposed to a second, nor does the second death stand opposed to a first. But rather, the first resurrection stands opposed to the second death.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back